internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
12/4/08 7:39 p.m.

so on sunday I am trading a set of tires for a 96 hyundai elantra. Learn me on these crap piles and what I can do to make it a bit better.

mtn
mtn Dork
12/4/08 7:42 p.m.

Fires can be fun

internetautomart
12/4/08 7:47 p.m.

yes they can be, but the local fire marshall may have other opinions.

axeman_g
axeman_g New Reader
12/4/08 7:50 p.m.

very large slingshot?

Maybe a trebuchet?

ansonivan
ansonivan New Reader
12/4/08 8:08 p.m.

Field car? Slide/jump/bump followed by an ever increasing regimen of nitrous until the hamster comes apart.

PHeller
PHeller Reader
12/4/08 8:16 p.m.

If I lived in New York or somewhere close I'd be really tempted to try my hand at ice racing.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
12/4/08 8:26 p.m.

Use it as a daily driver while you work on your Miata?

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
12/4/08 8:29 p.m.

My dad and I are going to try our hand this winter at ice racing in a craptastic 98' accent we procured for free. Bone stock wheel to wheel racing ftw!

Rallycross should also be your friend. If you have land, make your own!

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/5/08 8:23 a.m.

I bought an '00 Elantra new (I don't remember if that's the same generation...probably not) and it's been a great car for the now-ex to drive for the past 8 years and 100K miles. I need to replace a cv axle sometime very soon...but that's the most major maintenance that has been required.

Grocery getter...no problem. I wouldn't want to use it for any sort of "fun" activity, though (auto, fwd, eww!)

Clem

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
12/5/08 8:27 a.m.

YEah. . . 96 1.8L automatic Elantra will be a beater. MAYBE a rally-x'er to destroy. The car's themselves, while not super fantastic, were decent. Nothing like the 01-up's.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
12/5/08 8:38 a.m.

Was the 1.8L car a Mitsu suppied engine? I remember someone putting a complete DSM 2.0 turbo in an Elantra.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
12/5/08 8:43 a.m.

Rallycross might be just the ticket. If it's terrible there's always plan b.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
12/5/08 9:46 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Was the 1.8L car a Mitsu suppied engine? I remember someone putting a complete DSM 2.0 turbo in an Elantra.

I've heard of this too. Evidently some 4G63 variant was an option overseas.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla New Reader
12/5/08 9:54 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Was the 1.8L car a Mitsu suppied engine? I remember someone putting a complete DSM 2.0 turbo in an Elantra.

Nope. 1996 was the first year of the Hyundai developed drivetrains. You can swap in a 2.0L Beta, but they were only good for about 150hp.

The earlier 93-95's were all Mitsu piles. and I do mean piles. Wouldn't touch one of those early cars with a ten foot pole.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/5/08 10:13 a.m.

I just looked it up and it is the same generation as the one I posted about above (my ex's car).

I wouldn't even try to "make it better" as you mentioned. Just use it for whatever you want. I suggest cheap daily transportation until it dies. ;) That's what my ex is/has been doing. So far, so good.

Clem

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
12/5/08 11:24 a.m.

I want a 1995 then!!!

internetautomart
12/6/08 10:05 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I just looked it up and it is the same generation as the one I posted about above (my ex's car). I wouldn't even try to "make it better" as you mentioned. Just use it for whatever you want. I suggest cheap daily transportation until it dies. ;) That's what my ex is/has been doing. So far, so good. Clem

oh well, beaten on beater it will be. hopefully the mpg will be worth it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zZFiLDz1v598IHql2kSnIQYMKibg4KtaDev1o0bE83Gfxg236fqhSTgULZOkHJoi