1 2
qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/14/12 10:46 p.m.

These pics are a couple I took during a photo shoot of a friend's 2007 (with 2009 front end) Civic SI and my 1979 Civic CVCC. I also put the finishing touches on the perfect ride height I've been wanting for the past several years.

Hope you like:

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/14/12 11:14 p.m.

Your car looks great. I was afraid that it would be hellaflush, but it is much classier than that. It's just low enough to look serious....reminds me of this ..and that's one of the highest compliments I can give.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/14/12 11:32 p.m.

Totally awesome. What was the suspension and power like in Civics of that era?

I just searched CL and there is a 1979 local to me with 26k miles on it for sale. WANT

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen Reader
7/14/12 11:48 p.m.

Really want an old Honda now

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/15/12 6:21 a.m.

Thank you, fellas for the kind words.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
7/15/12 6:49 a.m.
VonSmallhausen wrote: Really want an old Honda now

You sure?

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
7/15/12 6:53 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
VonSmallhausen wrote: Really want an old Honda now
You sure?

You cut off the part of the diagram where it says "With engine running, remove and plug all this horseE36 M3."

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
7/15/12 11:29 a.m.

A friend of mine is high school drove a CVCC wagon. All the vacuum lines were either removed or plugged with wooden golf tees and instead of whatever carb it came with it had a weber downdraft.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
7/15/12 12:00 p.m.

Are there swap kits for those? I imagine a stock D series or B series stuffed in there would be awesome.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/15/12 12:14 p.m.
T.J. wrote: A friend of mine is high school drove a CVCC wagon. All the vacuum lines were either removed or plugged with wooden golf tees and instead of whatever carb it came with it had a weber downdraft.

Most all of mine have nails and such shoved them as well, lolol.

ProDarwin wrote: Are there swap kits for those? I imagine a stock D series or B series stuffed in there would be awesome.

People swap Bs and Ds in these cars a lot. There is no kit, though. It's all fab work to the person doing the swap. I won't do it as I like the original.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
7/15/12 3:18 p.m.

Oh, man that's nice. There's a 2nd gen (I think..early 80s, right?) parked in a yard down the street. Hasn't moved in the 5yrs I've lived out here. The house seems to be lived in, but nobody answers the door when I knock. Saw someone in the yard once, but SWMBO was driving and I didn't want her to know what I'm up to.

integraguy
integraguy UltraDork
7/15/12 6:03 p.m.

For those who asked:

1st and 2nd gen Civics had 2 sizes of engines, a 1200 and 1500 was available in 1st gen. and 1300 and 1500 in 2nd gens. Power for the smaller engines is in the 55-60 horsepower range (tho the cars themselves were about 1600 pounds) and the larger engines were about 65-75 horsepower...depending on model and year.

Keep in mind that it wasn't until the 4th gen Civic that NON Si models broke through the 100 horsepower "barrier". DX Civics in the early '90s only had 102 horsepower, while Si's had 125.

I've driven/owned 1st, 4th, 5th, and 6th gen Civics and a 2nd gen Integra, while I've ridden in in 2nd and 3rd gen Civics. 1st gen Civics are very kart like (in a good way, just never crash one as they feel very light weight) while 4th and 5th gens are probably my favs. They also have/had? the best aftermarket support of all the gens.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/15/12 7:23 p.m.

Pop quiz:

Anybody remember what CVCC was?

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/15/12 7:24 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Oh, man that's nice. There's a 2nd gen (I think..early 80s, right?) parked in a yard down the street. Hasn't moved in the 5yrs I've lived out here. The house seems to be lived in, but nobody answers the door when I knock. Saw someone in the yard once, but SWMBO was driving and I didn't want her to know what I'm up to.

Because, just your luck, he would have said, "Just take the damn thing...", right?

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
7/15/12 7:56 p.m.
shadetree30 wrote: Pop quiz: Anybody remember what CVCC was?

I always thought is was "controlled vortex combustion chamber"

looked it up ... Compound Vortex Controlled Combustion

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/15/12 8:13 p.m.
integraguy wrote: For those who asked: 1st and 2nd gen Civics had 2 sizes of engines, a 1200 and 1500 was available in 1st gen. and 1300 and 1500 in 2nd gens.

To break it further in, the first gen started in 1973 and ran through 1979. The 1500 (CVCC) engine didn't come out until 1975. My car actually has an 1800 engine in it.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
7/15/12 8:16 p.m.

I thought it was the displacement in roman numerals.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/15/12 9:01 p.m.

I still have a copy of this book:

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
7/15/12 9:46 p.m.
shadetree30 wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Oh, man that's nice. There's a 2nd gen (I think..early 80s, right?) parked in a yard down the street. Hasn't moved in the 5yrs I've lived out here. The house seems to be lived in, but nobody answers the door when I knock. Saw someone in the yard once, but SWMBO was driving and I didn't want her to know what I'm up to.
Because, just your luck, he would have said, "Just take the damn thing...", right?

Oh, I'm not worried about what he would have said. I'm hoping it's still there after I find a job, I'll be able to use different tactics after that. I've always liked 70s-80s Hondas, I had a 2nd gen Prelude new when I was in college. Sold it to buy my grey market BMW E21 6-cyl...I'd love to have either of them back. Every time qdseeker posts up pix of his car, I get jealous.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
7/16/12 5:01 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Every time qdseeker posts up pix of his car, I get jealous.

Haha! Thanks for the compliment, dude. I appreciate it.

Woody, I have my copy of that book as well, sir.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
7/16/12 5:39 p.m.
integraguy wrote: For those who asked: Keep in mind that it wasn't until the 5th gen Civic that NON Si models broke through the 100 horsepower "barrier". The USDM [4th gen] DX Civics only had 92 horsepower, while Si's had 108.

FTFY, with the possibility of minor (but less egregious) variations from reality.

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/16/12 7:45 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
integraguy wrote: For those who asked: Keep in mind that it wasn't until the 5th gen Civic that NON Si models broke through the 100 horsepower "barrier". The USDM [4th gen] DX Civics only had 92 horsepower, while Si's had 108.
FTFY, with the possibility of minor (but less egregious) variations from reality.

The '88-'91 Real Time AWD wagon and the '90-91 EX got the Si engine.

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone New Reader
7/16/12 9:28 p.m.

That car is beautiful! I'll echo what some others have said--it's very tasteful as well. I'm jealous! Great work on the car!

FMK
FMK New Reader
7/16/12 9:53 p.m.

My first autocross car was a 1976 Civic CVCC, I was 16 and it belonged to my Sister. I would drive from Cincinnati to Columbus to borrow it (my parents had 2 Chevy Caprice Classics) and run in the OVR events. after a few events my Dad bought it off her and I ran that thing in every autocross I could! Great fun, it had 12" wheels so "performance" tires were limited (size 155-80-12), but I could keep up with the Scirocco's and Colt's in E Stock and even trophied at regional events. Eventually It was replaced with a Scirocco but I'll never forget that Honda. I can't figure out how to post the only picture I have of it so I made it my profile picture! It's from an event at the Ford plant in Sharonville (Cincy Region SCCA) back in the mid 80's. I still want to build one for D Prepared one of these days!

Woody
Woody UltimaDork
7/16/12 10:06 p.m.

The cheap upgrade for Civics was to find a set of 13" four slot Accord wheels. They were a half inch wider than most of the other Accord rims.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3rBHQ6YO8B62geubzi3PPlbeWjAiLFqP0zDAFfpaTKBxkYXNUlurWXUQlNQLpAgg