mw
mw Reader
2/4/09 8:45 a.m.

All this talk about the new genesis coupe has got me looking at hyundais. I know that I won't be able to get a genesis coupe in the next few years, but I could afford a tiburon. How are they? I could likely afford a 2003-2004 model. I would be open to the I4 or V6. What are the pros and cons? was there a model that came with a LSD?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
2/4/09 8:59 a.m.

don't know about lsd. I had an '03 on my car lot with the v6 and manual. It was an above average car for sure. I had this weird felling it didn't have what it took to ever be great, but I'd surely drive one to work every day.

mw
mw Reader
2/4/09 9:05 a.m.

I'm only looking for a car to drive to work everyday.

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
2/4/09 10:26 a.m.

I love them. I had a friend with one. It was comfy, rode smooth, looked fantastic and had plenty of torque. It got close to 30 mg on the highway, if I remember right.. His was a nice burnt orange color. They have terrible resale value so you can pick one up for great prices.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 HalfDork
2/4/09 1:14 p.m.

My daughter has an 04 Tib GT w/V6 & 5-speed manual in silver. Get's pretty good mpg, a bit over 30 on the highway. Don't know about LSD, I don't think hers has it by the feel. It pulls right a little on hard acceleration. I've been of the opinion that that is where Hyundai scrimped to keep costs low. It is like bequietanddrive said, comfy, rode smooth, looks good and plenty of torque. Probably a bit heavy for compitive autocrossing though. I think it handles well for what it is. I've taken it on business trips and felt it more comfy than my Miata (at least more roomy ).

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
2/4/09 1:39 p.m.

Yes, as far as I know they never came with an LSD, nor was it offered as an option.

They can handle well with modifications to control the body roll present in stock form. Good tires go a long way on them, too.

Not exactly a Type R killer, but great for everyday use. Oh, and the V6 sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust too.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/6/09 10:49 a.m.

I had an older 99.. the only problems that car had were wheel bearings.. front wheel bearings. I went through three on the right side.. all except the last covered under warrenty. That last one cost me $100 and change.

other than that, it was a very solid and fun little coupe' for a front driver.

kristof
kristof New Reader
2/28/11 9:15 p.m.

tiburon. well the only problem in my hyundai tiburon parts is the door panel. but what i did is ask for an assistance for an auto mechanic.

nocones
nocones HalfDork
2/28/11 9:28 p.m.

Remember even the GT-v6 runs HS! A local guy was VERY competitive with on on R-comps. He got FTDI by about 2 seconds on some fast local drivers. I know nothing about their durability, reliability or anything, but I took some runs in his and was VERY impressed with the way it drove. It rotated alot like a Honda prelude, but felt more planted in the front. With the hatch they seem like a great DD/occasional autoxer.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
2/28/11 9:33 p.m.

This thread is 2 years old, brought back by somebody who probably has a canoe on top of their Tiburon.

corytate
corytate Reader
2/28/11 10:23 p.m.

according to a friend who owned an 06 gt v6 for a while, stock clutch is a weka point in this car the 4 cyl wasn't that much fun to drive but I actually drove a gt v6 at work today and it was quite nice SUPER nice interior (it was a last generation one, fairly new. but they're still not expensive at all for what they are) everything about the car felt solid and well done. After I got out of the comfy bucket seat I thought the exact same as you, may be picking one up for a second car after a while, do a lot of weight reduction and take advantage of the little bit of aftermarket that is out there.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/1/11 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Zomby woof: This seems to have happened several times lately bringing back old threads.

My daughters Tib has over 100,000 miles now and still drives strong. And she has beat the crap out of it. Any car that can put up with her abuse for over 100,000 miles has got to be alright. Wish it was easier to get the handling goodies for it, it would make a nice autocrosser. Looking at the Genesis, it looks to me like a larger (rear-wheel drive) version of the Tib.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/1/11 11:44 a.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: My daughter has an 04 Tib GT w/V6 & 5-speed manual in silver. Get's pretty good mpg, a bit over 30 on the highway. Don't know about LSD, I don't think hers has it by the feel. It pulls right a little on hard acceleration. I've been of the opinion that that is where Hyundai scrimped to keep costs low. It is like bequietanddrive said, comfy, rode smooth, looks good and plenty of torque. Probably a bit heavy for compitive autocrossing though. I think it handles well for what it is. I've taken it on business trips and felt it more comfy than my Miata (at least more roomy ).

I gotta fly the BS flag with this one. THe Delta V6 could get 25mpg if the engine was off an it was getting pushed by a hybrid.....

If youre going to spend(waste) money on a Tib, don't botherwith the 2.7 and if you ignore that PLEASE stay the hell awayfrom the 6-spd. The trans was mediocre, but the clutch was worth killing someone over. They're expensive, weak and a PITA to change. THe Torque curve of the Delta V6 looks like this: _^, the car weighs 3200lbs withou driver and has 170hp.

A better car with the same setup that weighs 400lbs less is the Elantra. Same car, 2 more doors so it doesn't look as cool but has more performance per dollar. plus insurance is cheaper. They are built on the same platform, use the same upgrade parts and all tha good stuff.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/2/11 10:26 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: If youre going to spend(waste) money on a Tib, don't botherwith the 2.7 and if you ignore that PLEASE stay the hell awayfrom the 6-spd. The trans was mediocre, but the clutch was worth killing someone over. They're expensive, weak and a PITA to change. THe Torque curve of the Delta V6 looks like this: ____^___, the car weighs 3200lbs withou driver and has 170hp.

I would never say that buying a Tib is a waste of money. Some people like them, some people hate them. They are about as reliable as a toyota without the appliance feeling.

As for 3200 pounds and 170hp.. not all that different from an E36 325

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
3/2/11 11:41 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
wlkelley3 wrote: My daughter has an 04 Tib GT w/V6 & 5-speed manual in silver. Get's pretty good mpg, a bit over 30 on the highway. Don't know about LSD, I don't think hers has it by the feel. It pulls right a little on hard acceleration. I've been of the opinion that that is where Hyundai scrimped to keep costs low. It is like bequietanddrive said, comfy, rode smooth, looks good and plenty of torque. Probably a bit heavy for compitive autocrossing though. I think it handles well for what it is. I've taken it on business trips and felt it more comfy than my Miata (at least more roomy ).
I gotta fly the BS flag with this one. THe Delta V6 could get 25mpg if the engine was off an it was getting pushed by a hybrid..... If youre going to spend(waste) money on a Tib, don't botherwith the 2.7 and if you ignore that PLEASE stay the hell awayfrom the 6-spd. The trans was mediocre, but the clutch was worth killing someone over. They're expensive, weak and a PITA to change. THe Torque curve of the Delta V6 looks like this: ____^___, the car weighs 3200lbs withou driver and has 170hp. A better car with the same setup that weighs 400lbs less is the Elantra. Same car, 2 more doors so it doesn't look as cool but has more performance per dollar. plus insurance is cheaper. They are built on the same platform, use the same upgrade parts and all tha good stuff.

I said on the highway, meaning steady speed with cruise control on. Around town it's low-mid 20's. Which is to be expected for a car like that. As for Tib vs Elantra, personal preference. My daughter traded a 2.0L Elantra for the 2.7L Tib and she is happy, that's all that counts. And her's is the 5-speed manual, by the way.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/2/11 11:58 a.m.

I've always thought the later generation Tiburons were fantastic looking cars and the Genesis Coupe to be a step in the wrong direction aesthetically.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
3/2/11 12:03 p.m.

I never could figure out why people bought these new when the Acura RSX wasn't much more money. Used I can understand, because they're cheaper by a good percentage.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
3/2/11 1:16 p.m.

They're awesome with a twin-powertrain swap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAyaCKVBTQ

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
3/2/11 2:00 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I've always thought the later generation Tiburons were *fantastic* looking cars and the Genesis Coupe to be a step in the wrong direction aesthetically.

Agreed. The last Tiburon was a great looking car, especially with the headlight redesign. The Genesis coupe has excellent proportions that are marred by a fugly mug. I thought they had left behind that melty organic look awhile back, but I guess not.

Last iteration for reference:

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/2/11 2:19 p.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: If youre going to spend(waste) money on a Tib, don't botherwith the 2.7 and if you ignore that PLEASE stay the hell awayfrom the 6-spd. The trans was mediocre, but the clutch was worth killing someone over. They're expensive, weak and a PITA to change. THe Torque curve of the Delta V6 looks like this: ____^___, the car weighs 3200lbs withou driver and has 170hp.
I would never say that buying a Tib is a waste of money. Some people like them, some people hate them. They are about as reliable as a toyota without the appliance feeling. As for 3200 pounds and 170hp.. not all that different from an E36 325

Dude, I'm a Hyundai Humper from waaaaaay back. The GK Tib though was a waste of resources. The E36 actually has torque, something the Delta does not, and it is powering the correct wheels. They can be made to handle, but it's hard to overcome the weight issue. THe V6 is a gas guzzler by today's standards. It was not uncommon for them to see 16-18 in town. Less if it's a teen male driver.

I've always said they looked great, but performed poorly. Hence why I've always referred to them as a "chick car" ... not to be confused with "chic". Look great, run a longtime, just not a very good enthusiast car. Poor aftermarket, delta's do not hold up under boost and that transmission (6-spd) is complete trash.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/2/11 2:24 p.m.

so am I.. I have owned two Hyundais and would own another if I was in the mood for a new car. My RD1 would get mid 30s highway (above the EPA average) and handled very well. One of the few front drivers with a rear bias when cornering

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
3/2/11 2:35 p.m.

RD's were a great car.... oddly shaped, but a great car. Compact, enough power to go and could handle REALLY well. I always thought the GK was a step in the wrong direction as far as functionality compared to the RD's.

I considered an RD or a J2 before the Swift fiasco. I wonder had I chosen that route if I'd have the vette now?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9riUXATwGUllC6u2nUgxYfDWOGRLxfpRFTLghAsSTAQG4CGCm9oZTdut5OKzYYf2