1 2 3 4
Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/29/19 12:56 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Antihero :

When you say "a lot"- how many is that?  Hundreds or 10s of thousands?

Then again, if you can find an OHV 4.0l, those are also great trucks.  You can get up to a 2000 of one of them, with a 4 door configuration.  I think our first one was a '99 with a 4.0l OHV, with the 4 door set up.  It was great.

Its more like "all" since it'll need timing chains done someday

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/29/19 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

By that measure, every single engine out there will need work.  So we should never get anything.  But if you want the min work, an OHC engine would be your only choice....

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove Reader
7/29/19 4:17 p.m.

I think for your needs the F-250 is too much, and the Ranger is too little.  Around here you can pick up GMT800 Silverados and Sierras with the 5.3L for less than $5k any day of the week.  They would be vastly superior as a tow setup vs. anything made in the 70's and 80's, and they're pretty darned bulletproof.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/29/19 4:19 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to Antihero :

By that measure, every single engine out there will need work.  So we should never get anything.  But if you want the min work, an OHC engine would be your only choice....

Pulling the engine just to replace the timing chains is a stupid fix though, it's not like its a normal thing.

Plus my mom had an explorer that was the exact same car except for the SOHC engine. Her car got considerably less mpg and felt slower all around, although once you got above 4k it was stronger feeling than mine. The SOHC is more "car" engine and the OHV is more "truck" engine tuned. It's not just the timing chain issues that push me away from the sohc

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
7/29/19 5:24 p.m.

I just quoted somebody like 1600 or something like that to do all the timing chains in a 4.0 sohc. Then they asked for the price for only the front chains. Then i guess they realized they didn't like their truck anymore. Hopefully noone pulls that particular engine out of the junkyard, or at least does the chains while it's out if they do! 

That's my thought too with the rampage, it doesn't feel like I really need to go for a super duty in this case

In my  mind that was still a vote for the F250 though. I haven't driven a super duty i wouldn't take over a 70s full size of any kind if i had to do towing with it. Comfort and stress level are highly correlated in my assessment, but it's all subjective. And i've towed heavier things than a Rampage with borderline compact cars and talked a lot about what i think makes a tow vehicle comfortable. You won't need all the power of the V10 but it's actually going to make it less E36 M3ty to drive than a gutless old truck with an automatic even when you're not towing. I just think it's the best option of the ones listed in the original post. I like Sequoias too and they are a great value, but unless you're going to be driving it more than you originally said it's still not a better tool for the job than the F250. 

I still enjoyed towing (small cars) with my 170hp Dodge Dynasty more than almost anything else, but mostly because of the mods. I put the brakes from the 150mph version of the Daytona on it (and yes they are better pulling 3000 lbs than some trucks are because a lot of old trucks basically ONLY have front brakes unless you tinker with them and the dynasty used an intentionally mismatched brakes/prop valve setup to actually have 4 working brakes), stiffer springs, stiffer shocks, stiffer sidewalls, stiffer track bar.  Basically brakes, damping, and lateral stiffness(/damping). My old GS450h started with most of those things and it was even better because it was a 165mph car to start with and had tires and brakes more or less to suit. Whatever your options are, whichever has the best of those is a good start. 

As far as an f250 riding better with weight  in the back, so did my B250 until i removed part of the leaf spring pack. You only need what you need. If you don't need to put 1000 lbs in the bed you don't need the entire rear pack.  It's free besides labor. 

Nate90LX
Nate90LX Reader
7/30/19 5:37 a.m.

After researching this for a while, there are only a few reasons to not choose a 3/4 ton or larger truck. 

1. Do you want to do something other than towing and hauling?

2. Do you want to purchase price on the truck? At the age you are looking at, this will be negligible. 

3. Do you want to save fuel and maintenance costs? That Sequoia will cost exponentially less to run than a F250. 

I think you should go for the F250. It’s alway better to have the right tool for the job with no compromises. The V10 manual combo is what I’m looking for. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/30/19 9:32 a.m.

You can just get one of those surge brake tow dollys (mine only weighs 500 lbs https://cartowdolly.com/) and pull it with nearly anything if you're just pulling around smaller cars. I used to tow it with my cx-5, but now have a cx-9 (3500lbs or theres about capacity) that does the job much better. Obviously you'll need a bit more headroom than a car like the cx-5 has for pulling full body cars. They store vertically and mine was pretty cheap used. Rental tow dollys don't usually have brakes and are a bit heavier, but are easier to load and strap. The hardest part of this tow dolly was breaking in the straps, they stretch a ton the first 5-10 trips and since I'm not suing it behind an RV, it took some time. They have to be re-tightened down constantly those first few trips.....

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
7/30/19 9:44 a.m.
wae said:

Not gonna lie, I love my V-10 Excursion:  The Big Ugly Truck for Towing.  Gas mileage (or mile gassage in this case) is abysmal, but it is rock solid on the road with the trailer.  The gassers tend to be at a pretty steep discount to the PSDs and do just fine for moderate towing.  Personally, I like the idea of a truck bed but I much prefer the SUV body style since I don't often have dirty things that can get wet and won't get stolen.  It's a bit overkill for only towing 5k, but it lets you keep your options open!

I towed with a '99 regular cab, long-bed Ranger.  I can't recall if it was the 3.0 or the 4.0, but I think it was the 3.  I was pushing the limits pretty hard with a '85 RX-7 GSL-SE on a trailer that weighs close to 2000 lbs by my guess.  If I didn't have the car in the exact right spot on the trailer, it would start to wag the dog violently at 52mph and I could tell that I was asking that poor truck to give me everything it had.  It worked - heck, I bought the Neon from New Orleans to Northern KY back in '05, but it wasn't particularly easy driving.

How's ye ol' beast treating you?! I miss it some days (my family was more sad about it going since it was the CARRY EVERYONE car), but I'm happy with the CX-9 Adaptive cruise control (sanity saver while driving through atlanta) + tow dolly for now. I don't miss that tired steering box.... Did you get it tightened up? 

wae
wae SuperDork
7/30/19 9:58 a.m.
accordionfolder said:
wae said:

Not gonna lie, I love my V-10 Excursion:  The Big Ugly Truck for Towing.  Gas mileage (or mile gassage in this case) is abysmal, but it is rock solid on the road with the trailer.  The gassers tend to be at a pretty steep discount to the PSDs and do just fine for moderate towing.  Personally, I like the idea of a truck bed but I much prefer the SUV body style since I don't often have dirty things that can get wet and won't get stolen.  It's a bit overkill for only towing 5k, but it lets you keep your options open!

I towed with a '99 regular cab, long-bed Ranger.  I can't recall if it was the 3.0 or the 4.0, but I think it was the 3.  I was pushing the limits pretty hard with a '85 RX-7 GSL-SE on a trailer that weighs close to 2000 lbs by my guess.  If I didn't have the car in the exact right spot on the trailer, it would start to wag the dog violently at 52mph and I could tell that I was asking that poor truck to give me everything it had.  It worked - heck, I bought the Neon from New Orleans to Northern KY back in '05, but it wasn't particularly easy driving.

How's ye ol' beast treating you?! I miss it some days (my family was more sad about it going since it was the CARRY EVERYONE car), but I'm happy with the CX-9 Adaptive cruis control + tow dolly for now.

Beast is right!  I still need to change the trans fluid, but it's been great so far!  The only real downside is how much gas it likes to drink, but I knew that going in.  Since I call it the "B.U.T.T." for short, the kids have gotten in on the fun and I get weird looks from the other parents at school when they hear my kids talk about how much stuff their dad can fit in his B.U.T.T.  My coworkers like it since when it's time to go out to lunch, I can take at least 5 other guys in the B.U.T.T., 7 if they don't mind it being a little tight.  I've never had anything that was so solid and so capable for towing, though - it's got grunt for days and doesn't let the tralier push it around at all.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/30/19 6:02 p.m.
Antihero said:
John Welsh said:

In reply to Antihero :

You mentioned the possibility of towing a 3,200 lb Caprice. Could this Caprice possibly be the "truck" sometimes when not being "the cargo"? 

It was actually my first thought and hey.....2 challenge cars in one trip sounds good, right?

According to Chevy I can tow 1000 pounds though which seems stupid low

Hmm...UHaul will install a 3500 lb hitch and say that they are perfectly fine with me towing the rampage on a car dolly.

So uh.....has anyone ever raced a car and the vehicle they towed it with at the challenge?

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
7/31/19 1:08 a.m.

My understanding is it currently stands at: “Technically, No”

The parking lot build Chevy truck pulled something (probe?) to the challenge hotel, was then ‘hotel parking lot built’, and could no longer tow (mazdeuce’s truck took over).

Or did Robbie’s Ute flat tow the parking lot build from the hotel to the challenge (and then around the first autocross course), last year.

So, multi-state transit pull, followed by competition by both cars, is still ‘for the taking’, afaik

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
7/31/19 9:29 a.m.

You are a Ford guy - check

Want to tow 5K lbs. - check

Here's an option (only with towing package)

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/31/19 10:44 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

You can just get one of those surge brake tow dollys (mine only weighs 500 lbs https://cartowdolly.com/) and pull it with nearly anything if you're just pulling around smaller cars. I used to tow it with my cx-5, but now have a cx-9 (3500lbs or theres about capacity) that does the job much better. Obviously you'll need a bit more headroom than a car like the cx-5 has for pulling full body cars. They store vertically and mine was pretty cheap used. Rental tow dollys don't usually have brakes and are a bit heavier, but are easier to load and strap. The hardest part of this tow dolly was breaking in the straps, they stretch a ton the first 5-10 trips and since I'm not suing it behind an RV, it took some time. They have to be re-tightened down constantly those first few trips.....

That is interesting

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/31/19 10:46 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

My understanding is it currently stands at: “Technically, No”

The parking lot build Chevy truck pulled something (probe?) to the challenge hotel, was then ‘hotel parking lot built’, and could no longer tow (mazdeuce’s truck took over).

Or did Robbie’s Ute flat tow the parking lot build from the hotel to the challenge (and then around the first autocross course), last year.

So, multi-state transit pull, followed by competition by both cars, is still ‘for the taking’, afaik

Sweet! 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/31/19 10:49 a.m.
Vigo said:

I just quoted somebody like 1600 or something like that to do all the timing chains in a 4.0 sohc. Then they asked for the price for only the front chains. Then i guess they realized they didn't like their truck anymore. Hopefully noone pulls that particular engine out of the junkyard, or at least does the chains while it's out if they do! 

That's my thought too with the rampage, it doesn't feel like I really need to go for a super duty in this case

In my  mind that was still a vote for the F250 though. I haven't driven a super duty i wouldn't take over a 70s full size of any kind if i had to do towing with it. Comfort and stress level are highly correlated in my assessment, but it's all subjective. And i've towed heavier things than a Rampage with borderline compact cars and talked a lot about what i think makes a tow vehicle comfortable. You won't need all the power of the V10 but it's actually going to make it less E36 M3ty to drive than a gutless old truck with an automatic even when you're not towing. I just think it's the best option of the ones listed in the original post. I like Sequoias too and they are a great value, but unless you're going to be driving it more than you originally said it's still not a better tool for the job than the F250. 

I still enjoyed towing (small cars) with my 170hp Dodge Dynasty more than almost anything else, but mostly because of the mods. I put the brakes from the 150mph version of the Daytona on it (and yes they are better pulling 3000 lbs than some trucks are because a lot of old trucks basically ONLY have front brakes unless you tinker with them and the dynasty used an intentionally mismatched brakes/prop valve setup to actually have 4 working brakes), stiffer springs, stiffer shocks, stiffer sidewalls, stiffer track bar.  Basically brakes, damping, and lateral stiffness(/damping). My old GS450h started with most of those things and it was even better because it was a 165mph car to start with and had tires and brakes more or less to suit. Whatever your options are, whichever has the best of those is a good start. 

As far as an f250 riding better with weight  in the back, so did my B250 until i removed part of the leaf spring pack. You only need what you need. If you don't need to put 1000 lbs in the bed you don't need the entire rear pack.  It's free besides labor. 

$1600 is actually cheap compared to around here. I've also heard mechanics say that the rear one doesn't really need replaced. Add that together and I probably would never buy one with a SOHC, I don't know what level of mechanicberkeleyery has been done to it

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
7/31/19 10:49 a.m.
NGTD said:

Hmm, I didn't consider that

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/31/19 10:56 a.m.
NGTD said:

I just got upgraded to one of these for a three week rental. It had 62 miles on it when I got in.

I'd love to have one, the 3.5 EcoBoost was a beast. Also would cost about ten times what I can spend.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
8/5/19 6:08 p.m.

And then a 95 f150 with a 300 i6 and a 5 spd popped up in my area.

I have an irrational like of any Ford truck with the 300, this one is stupid cheap but I worry about the m50d tranny. I know it's beefed up when put into full size trucks but I also know that Ford recommends less than 4k towing with it

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
8/5/19 9:16 p.m.

I wouldn't worry about it. I dog the E36 M3 out of every m5od truck i've ever set foot into and i've never seen trouble with one (other than all the slave cylinders i was replacing). A manual doesn't really care about what's behind it, just what's in front. If the engine can't put enough torque to it to break it by spreading the gears (shaft/bearing/case deflection etc), it pretty much doesn't matter what you hook behind it. Clutches are something else, but in the end having a clutch be the fuse for your transmission is a GOOD thing. 

cbaclawski
cbaclawski New Reader
8/5/19 9:20 p.m.

2 words: "Conversion Van"

I just grabbed a GMC Savana 2500 extended wheelbase with the 6.0 vortech.  It came with 6 captains chairs and a fold out bed.  It's rated to tow 10,000 lbs.  I also daily drive this monster, and aside from being VERY difficult to park, It's kinda fun driving a tall limo around...

Side benefit: You could live in it quite comfortably if times ever get tough! (down by the river of course)

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
8/5/19 9:32 p.m.
cbaclawski said:

I just grabbed a GMC Savana 2500 extended wheelbase with the 6.0 vortech.  It came with 6 captains chairs and a fold out bed.  It's rated to tow 10,000 lbs.  I also daily drive this monster, and aside from being VERY difficult to park, It's kinda fun driving a tall limo around...

Side benefit: You could live in it quite comfortably if times ever get tough! (down by the river of course)

I like this idea more than I should. I like big vans lifted with a grill guard and some AT tires. Guilty pleasure of mine. 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
8/5/19 9:42 p.m.
cbaclawski said:

I am a big van fan and have actually looked at a few already.

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
8/5/19 9:45 p.m.
Vigo said:

I wouldn't worry about it. I dog the E36 M3 out of every m5od truck i've ever set foot into and i've never seen trouble with one (other than all the slave cylinders i was replacing). A manual doesn't really care about what's behind it, just what's in front. If the engine can't put enough torque to it to break it by spreading the gears (shaft/bearing/case deflection etc), it pretty much doesn't matter what you hook behind it. Clutches are something else, but in the end having a clutch be the fuse for your transmission is a GOOD thing. 

I agree on the fuse bit definitely, I do wonder why it's rated so low though. Not like the rampage will eclipse it, but still.

The m50d slave cylinder is in a stupid place. When my rangers needed replaced I decided to see what a local shop would charge me. It was stupid low, like.....350 to replace the clutch and slave cylinder. I let them do that for that price 

Antihero
Antihero SuperDork
8/5/19 9:56 p.m.

Hmm.....high miles on the f150 (267k it sounds like) but it's a good amount under 1k.

Seems like it's been mechanically taken care of but beaten up on the body. I mostly care about it mechanically really although that's high miles.

I do need another work truck though......

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
8/6/19 7:17 a.m.
yupididit said:
cbaclawski said:

I like this idea more than I should. I like big vans lifted with a grill guard and some AT tires. Guilty pleasure of mine. 

Has to be a V10 or tuned diesel though.  Otherwise those Econolines won’t get out of their own way.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0M3O8BshMXpysoHywoA5vtgF5DXDPr85YG1ojIHmq1RiU9UrNXj93YjfbowtEbHW