Toyman01
Toyman01 UltimaDork
9/19/13 4:14 p.m.

Just a few minutes those threads were next to each other.

Toyota dead @ 100.

The return of...Datsun.

Does that qualify as ironic?

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/19/13 6:44 p.m.

why is Toyota dead? I haven't been following all the usual car sites for the last couple days....

Markde
Markde New Reader
9/19/13 7:15 p.m.

In reply to irish44j: I assume old age

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/19/13 7:16 p.m.

He was 100. That's pretty old.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
9/19/13 10:14 p.m.

Ah, right Mr. Toyoda. Forgot about that.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
9/20/13 2:09 a.m.

I would laugh with joy on my way to a dealership if they made a Datsun 240z BRZ killer that is a proper homage to that car.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
9/20/13 6:54 a.m.

Revlover
Revlover None
9/20/13 12:14 p.m.
kanaric wrote: I would laugh with joy on my way to a dealership if they made a Datsun 240z BRZ killer that is a proper homage to that car.

Amen to that

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
9/23/13 8:13 p.m.
Revlover wrote:
kanaric wrote: I would laugh with joy on my way to a dealership if they made a Datsun 240z BRZ killer that is a proper homage to that car.
Amen to that

The enthusiast community has been screaming for this for ages now. You'd think they would have countered with something after the BRZ/FRZ was greenlighted.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/25/13 3:08 p.m.

In what way is the 350/370Z not a worthey decendant?

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/25/13 3:26 p.m.

Now toyota is run by a car enthusiast, maybe the mr2 or supra will come back.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/25/13 4:13 p.m.

Mostly too big, but also too expensive.

I think there is a 'right size' for a sporty small coupe that only a few vehicles have really hit. The FRS/BRZ is one of them.

This old concept art of a modern Z which came out well before the FRS/BRZ, was the first thing to get me excited about the possibility of a 240Z-redux. I think the FRS/BRZ are the closest thing in concept that's actually in production.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/25/13 4:32 p.m.

damn that does look good...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
9/30/13 12:40 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
Mostly too big, but also too expensive. I think there is a 'right size' for a sporty small coupe that only a few vehicles have really hit. The FRS/BRZ is one of them.

Dragging this up, I can't deny the Z is pricier than the BRZ, but it's hardly gigantic in comparison. It's 1.2" longer 2.7" wider approx. 3" taller and has a 1" shorter wheelbase. It's more expensive and heavier, but it's got a ton more power to offer potentially better value.

I've got no real dog in this fight, I think they are both great cars, it's just that I see them as very similar.

P.S. that’s an ugly ass rendering above.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/30/13 4:59 p.m.

I shopped a BRZ before I bought my 370. Here are my impressions. First, I really liked the BRZ. It was fun, handled great and I liked the way the seats, shifter and dash worked together. I was ready to buy one, and they were dealing, but I wanted to drive a 370Z and the Miata Club first.

The Miata drove like a Miata, which is to say great, and it was almost the same price as the BRZ, but the Subaru still was the one I wanted. Then I went to the Nissan dealer. The 370Z felt better in every way. It was faster, nicer, and looked better, and dealer made me a deal I couldn't pass up. Sure people complain about the lack of rear vision, but I found it no worse than the Subaru, and it has a backup camera which helps. And it's just soooo much faster everywhere and more comfortable doing it.

It's a Touring with the Sport Package, and in the end it was about $6k more than the BRZ, but it's far more than that in the overall package.

Having said that, I think it would be great to see maybe a direct competitor to the FRS/BRZ twins, maybe in the same way Hyundai does it with a smaller, turbo motor. And having had 240Z's in the past, it would be great to see the Datsun name again.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
9/30/13 8:00 p.m.

It probably adds nothing to the discussion at all here, but my new Leaf was insured as a Datsun when I put in the VIN.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/30/13 9:25 p.m.

I agree that the 370Z is closer in price to 'the twins' than the performance difference would suggest, but im sticking to my guns on the size/weight difference.

I did a little googling and came up with an analogy that i think demonstrates the point.. The weight difference between an FRS and a 370Z is similar to the weight difference between a 1973 260z and a 1973 Camaro.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
9/30/13 10:17 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: P.S. that’s an ugly ass rendering above.

Yup. That nose says Audi, not Z.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/30/13 11:07 p.m.

I'm fairly sure it predates all the current Audi bodystyles. I'd certainly like to look at anything better you guys can come up with.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Reader
9/30/13 11:12 p.m.

I think that render has all the right lines of a Z car personally, I think the skirts/front lip that's throwing you off the trail. Obviously the rims and such are exaggerated.

I see a modern version of this (ignore the stancy things).

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
10/1/13 6:43 a.m.
accordionfolder wrote: I think that render has all the right lines of a Z car personally, I think the skirts/front lip that's throwing you off the trail.

You're right, of course. I think the stock nose is prettier than one with a skirt. I understand putting the skirt on, but it messes up the lines of the nose.
(Oddly, I think the motorsports habit of removing the rear bumper improves the lines of the rear end.) somebody ought to do that right and fill in/smooth the areas where the bumpers were.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/1/13 6:59 a.m.

Someone's been hitting the donuts a little too much. (This is my biggest problem w/ the current Z's, and I admit I know little about them. They just look big and bloated compared to what they once were.)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2fE3g7iJ84wZpyluMjKCjARv6Gdfy2qIupvWCaTAKgOjUhU597KD88KUZ38PrkcE