Woody
Woody Dork
9/23/08 7:47 p.m.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, my wife has given me the blessing to go ahead and buy a used Porsche, provided, of course, that I make some room in the garage first. I need to move quickly on this before she changes her mind.

I found a 911 that I like enough that I just put my 96 Miata up on e-Bay.

The Porsche's owner let the registration expire. I want to take the car to a Porsche shop for a pre purchase inspection and the car's owner has agreed to that. I have a tandem axle trailer, but I have never towed a Porsche before. Should I back the car onto the trailer so that the engine gives me some tongue weight, rather than hanging off the back? And what is the best way to tie down the 911? I'm not sure what they have for tie down points.

Any Porsche experts out there?

beaulieu
beaulieu New Reader
9/23/08 8:14 p.m.

a 911 is not that heavy ,

the jack point on the side is the center of gravity, but a duel axle trailer should have no problem

no need to back it on, just make sure you have some tongue weight.

Beaulieu

audifan
audifan New Reader
9/23/08 9:09 p.m.

you can conventionally load them single or dual axle does not matter. You did not mention the year of the 911, that will make a difference in the weight of them, it will weigh no more than 3200 lbs (the approx weight of a 996 according to the corner weight scales @ my shop) obviously the older it is the less it will weigh If it is a car that has been set up for track then you can use the tie downs that most owners have installed. If not you can get 4 tire/ wheel straps usually a 24" section of webbing with D rings @ each end and then you can ratchet strap each wheel down to trailer. Have no fear about damaging the car in this manner if you use it @ all 4 wheel you cannot exert enough energy on the ratchet straps to hurt the car they are really very tough little cars. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me via PM and leave me a phone number I am more than happy to offer any assistance I can colin

audifan
audifan New Reader
9/23/08 9:10 p.m.

Also woody i am in NJ so we aren't that far apart.

Woody
Woody Dork
9/23/08 9:16 p.m.

The car has not been set up for the track. It is an 85 Targa.

My trailer is not set up for the tire-web tiedowns, as the trailer surface is extruded aluminum and I can't sink tie down points into it. I'd love to be able to use tire webs, but, unfortunately, I need to use more conventional tie down points.

audifan
audifan New Reader
9/23/08 9:40 p.m.

do you have a trailex? if so you can still use the webs and just cross the tie downs left to right and vice versa

Woody
Woody Dork
9/23/08 9:59 p.m.

Yes, it's a Trailex trailer, but I'm not sure how I would go about crossing the straps and getting them to hold the tires properly. I must be missing something here...

audifan
audifan New Reader
9/23/08 10:02 p.m.

are the tie down eyes located on the center beam of the trailer?

Woody
Woody Dork
9/24/08 6:40 a.m.

I have no tie down eyes and the center of the trailer (normally open) is covered with a large piece of aluminum diamond plate. I use E-track at the front and the rear crossmember for my anchor points.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
9/24/08 8:19 a.m.

Is the mechanic doing the inspection also a car dealer? Maybe he will loan you a "dealer plate" or move the car for you if you're nervous about it.

Dan

Woody
Woody Dork
9/24/08 10:01 a.m.

>>Is the mechanic doing the inspection also a car dealer? Maybe he will loan you a "dealer plate" or move the car for you if you're nervous about it.<<<

I'm really not nervous about trailering it. I just want to make sure that I'm doing it right. I've only trailered Miatas and Jeeps before. Both have the engine at the proper end and are easy to tie down.

I think I'd be more nervous driving someone else's Porsche 45 minutes each way with a borrowed dealer plate.

I'm sure that the shop would offer to drive the car down for me, but they'd whack me for an additional 2 hours of labor at $89 per hour.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
9/24/08 10:55 a.m.

I would just drive it as long as it's not THAT far just don't be stupid.

audifan
audifan New Reader
9/24/08 1:40 p.m.

does the e-track run laterally in relation to the trailer or does the e-track run longitudinally on the trailer i think we are thinking of two different types of tie downs here is a link to the ones I am talking about http://www.trailer-parts-forless.com/mr_tiedowns/auto_tie_down_main.htm scroll down you are looking for the 2" axle straps. these will fit thru the spokes of the Porsche fuchs wheel and then you can use a ratcheting strap to go to your e-track. this will hold the car no problem and will not damage anything. I use them all the time oon anything from 911sc's to 997's and have never had a problem

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
9/24/08 3:19 p.m.
Woody wrote: ...(Miatas and Jeeps) have the engine at the proper end...

Careful there Woody. You could get banned from the PCA for life with a little slip like that.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
9/24/08 7:58 p.m.

944 towing 44 dwarf circa 1998

not what your looking at but thought you might like it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lIMlracan0hzDfkayo6vZyIfaQ7MBjjpKcbgSK0ddXnc6QGbA9fmjbJaQig42YZa