BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
5/16/15 9:12 a.m.

Long story short. SWMBO hates our Prius and wants to try something else. Looking at auctions and used prices I have started to see 2013 Leaves around the 9-11k range. I am aware of the battery degradation issues and challenges in cold weather (we are in MN). We would be able to make the range work most of the time and she could use my GTI for longer drives. At that price it seems worth trying just for the fun of it. Anyone here have any long term experience with a Leaf?

We are cross shopping the Volt/C-Max Energi, but both of those have their drawbacks and a higher price. The Volt is great minus the awkward rear seat room and cargo capacity. The C-Max is also nice, but the battery destroys the trunk space and the MPGs once the limited electric is used up are somewhat disappointing.

I really like the fact that the Leaf appears to have a normal backseat and regular hatch cargo area.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
5/16/15 12:13 p.m.

I have no experience with hybrid or electric cars yet, but did you call Nissan about their battery development? If they are developing new batteries available soon that will have much greater range and don't degrade, it can be a great buy.

steronz
steronz Reader
5/16/15 12:20 p.m.

I don't have any personal experience, but I checked them out when I learned about the ridiculous depreciation they've suffered. In the end the limited range was a deal breaker, my wife does more than 30 miles most days just bringing the kids to various activities, but if you think you can make it work, I say go for it.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Associate Editor
5/16/15 2:26 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
5/16/15 6:29 p.m.

I looked at used Leafs before leasing my Soul EV. I leased new because the tax credit helps offset my monthly payments, but prices on used Leafs are falling so low that they're really compelling. Early cars are getting super cheap, but the 2013 cars are the most compelling values.

There's no getting around the battery degradation/range loss, though. EV is working out great for me, but I have over 100 mile range with my car. Now a car with only 70 miles on a full charge... that's no bueno. You have, have to get a diagnostic of the battery state before buying. There are great aftermarket tools for this now.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
5/17/15 11:18 a.m.

These lines in the sand never fail to amuse.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/17/15 1:34 p.m.

In reply to BlueFalcon:

I think you left something out...

What does she hate about the Prius?

There are a lot of things that could be much worse about a Leaf.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
5/17/15 3:45 p.m.

Ct200h? Much nicer than prius, but smaller and slightly less FE.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
5/17/15 5:31 p.m.

Yes, I had a Leaf on a lease....until it was totaled in a hailstorm. Put about 15,000 miles on it during that time. How long of a round trip drive are you planning. When the car is new, the realistic range is 90ish miles when the weather is nice and warm. When it's really cold, it's more like 60-65 miles...if you don't run the heater, less if you do. As the battery ages, that range will go down. So don't be surprised if a 3 year old car with 30,000 miles has a max range of 50 miles in cold weather.

The heater is very efficient at moderate temps, such as air temps of 35 and above, as it's a heat pump. But when it's really cold out, the heater is an energy hog, it'll kill your range in a hurry. I lived in PA when I had my car and just relied on the heated seat, heating steering wheel (which works goofy) and bought a 12V electric blanket. That worked quite well. Charging also takes a really long time unless you're set up for 220V. I had my charger converted for 220 and it was well worth it. It would charge in 3 or 4 hours, where 110 would take 12+.

As long as you can live with those limitations, you'll love the car. The torque from the electric motor makes you giggle every time you drive. The dead silence is weirdly cool. It's a fun game to play to try to drive as efficient as possible. Do it right, and you can pretty much drive with only the gas pedal, you hardly use the brake. It's plenty comfy for 4, and will hold 5 in a pinch. The hatch is definitely a nice and usable size. Handling is OK, nothing great but worlds better than the Prius I had.

I really loved my car and would get another one in a heartbeat if my situation were right. Don't think I'd buy though, I'd lease it again. Very questionable resale value and high battery pack price would keep me from buying.

BlueFalcon
BlueFalcon New Reader
5/17/15 8:57 p.m.

She likes its efficiency and practicality. That is about it. She doesn't like its lack of visibility, driving position, poor handling/slow acceleration. CT200h seems to be slower than the Prius according to Edmunds, which makes it a no go.

I am concerned about the Leaf's plummeting value 9 or 10k seems like a great deal for a decent 2013, but at the rate they have been dropping it may only be worth 5k in a year or two. I am pretty sure we could make the range work and the torque would make it feel faster than the Prius.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/17/15 9:05 p.m.

So why are you focused on alternative fuel vehicles?

Seems like there are a lot of vehicles which could address your needs, many of which get exceptional fuel economy without range issues, battery degradation, etc.

Here's about 100 cars that all have buy-it-now prices in your range (9000-11000) between the years of 2012 and 2014.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?LH_ItemCondition=2|0&LH_BIN=1&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=9000&_udhi=11000&_dcat=6001&_dmpt=US_Cars_Trucks&Model%2520Year=2012|2013|2014&_mtrvfc=1&_sop=7&_stpos=31721

Most of them are small sporty handling vehicles that get pretty good fuel economy.

Seems like you are overlooking a lot of options. Is there a reason?

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
5/18/15 6:33 a.m.

Maybe look at the Honda Fit. Huge cargo capability, big back seat for 2, very fuel efficient, solid as granite.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
5/18/15 6:45 a.m.

My Leaf is almost done with its two year term with me. I love it. Lots of room for cargo, lots of room for people. I get 100 mile range in normal weather and maybe 70-80 in the cold depending on how cold. Less if you use the heater a lot, but the heated seats make the heater mostly unnecessary, at least with temperatures in the teens and above.

I have experienced zero battery degradation. I still have the same amount of bars and range I had when it was new.

My complaints are as follows:

You can't change the backlight on the instrument panel without going through a menu.

At extremely low speeds (crawling), you can feel the transition between regen and friction brakes and it's unsmooth.

It's probably the best car I've ever had.

Aspen
Aspen Reader
5/18/15 7:39 a.m.

The ct200 is very different from a prius. The handling is 90% as good as my mini S. The power deliver is much better than the prius for city acceleration making quick to 60 kph. The only time it feels slow is passing on the highwy. The chassis is much stiffer with more welds, adhesives and a cool shock system. Also a pretty good looking car.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
5/18/15 11:19 a.m.

What I'd worry about is if you buy it and find you don't really like it and can't find another buyer...

Volt has no drawbacks in my book. Lots of cargo capacity with the huge trunk and the rear seat is not an issue for me. Seats 4 6' adults comfortably.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
5/19/15 6:37 a.m.

I love the used Volt I bought 2 weeks ago. The whole electric thing is very cool. I am convinced it's the future of automobiles.

The problem I have heard about the Leaf is with battery life, which is due in large part to it being air cooled. In hot places it has trouble, and in cold temperatures there is no way to keep the batteries at a suitable operating temperature. Aside from that, it seems like a good car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jaDPOdEYS2UOXHhesOs2WYMZuQvqNj9HVTPYKfKn6roWQkol4xCNjNoYFuM1nuNg