1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 12:59 p.m.

OK, so there are various vehicles I’m interested in.  Two of the principles are 09-16 Land Rover LR4 and the 09-current 4Runner.  Now, bear in mind that the MSRP of a 2016 LR4 was $50-60+ K, current new 19 4Runners start at $35K for an SR5.  You’d think that there are plenty of both available under 100K miles and under $20K used. Yes for one, No for the other.  

If I use Autotrader with a 200 mile radius I can find 8 LR4’s with the cheapest being $15K and the lowest miles being 74K.  If I use the same parameters, 200mile radius, $20K and 100K max price and mileage for the 4Runner I find a total of...drum roll please...One vehicle, a 2010 with 98K Miles on for $19.5K so it just barely squeeks in and it’s old.  I get it that Toyota’s have an outstanding reliability reputation where Land Rover not so much. But, personal experience says Toyotas aren’t always what they are cracked up to be, and the LR3/4 series of LandRover seem to have good (outstanding for the brand) reliability, it blows my mind that people want so much for an old 4Runner and LR4’s are so relatively affordable.

My heart says LR4, the head keeps whispering 4Runner.

Discuss.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 1:15 p.m.

P.S.  if you think 4Runners are pricey then don’t look at Land Cruisers, they appear to be made of Kryptonite, Adamantium, Platinum and Unicorn Farts. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/15/19 1:24 p.m.

My 4runner has been pretty damn reliable for the last 170k

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/15/19 1:30 p.m.

I have an LR3. It is my favorite vehicle to date. It does pretty much everything I ask of it very well. The LR4 is pretty much the same I think but with an updated interior, so if you are not committed to the interior or engine choices in the LR4, widen your net and look at the later LR3 also. But if you go that route, do not ever take it to the dealership, and buy the iidGap tool at the time of purchase, which is invaluable for diagnosing issues and playing with the air suspension. 

I have put 40000 km on my 2006 (180,000 total) and it has been trouble free with the exception of a tailgate issue. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
7/15/19 1:49 p.m.

Sounds like both your heart and your wallet are saying Land Rover. Honestly, you won't shut up about them, so I think you should get one.  wink

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/15/19 1:51 p.m.

My FIL has a 4Runner, 09, with 180k miles on it. He sold his first at 130k miles. He realizes now how he should have kept the first (an 03).

My parents just sold their 07 4Runner to my brother, with 201k miles on it. I wanted to buy it, but my wife didn't like the color. 

These are really some of the best vehicles, period. I would not compare a Land Rover to them. The worst that has happened on any of the 3 I've had experience with was a charcoal canister needed to be replaced, but that was only to pass emissions.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 1:53 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

In reply to java230 :

Both of you, what gas mileage do you get and what kind of driving do you do?  Do either of you tow?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/15/19 1:54 p.m.

You can't tell some people the stove is hot. Some people have to burn their hand. I bought an old beat-up Jeep and burned my hand. Whilst bellyaching about the endless repairs I happened to compare notes with a Rover owner and realized the stove I grabbed was only luke warm.

OTOH, the toyota tax is just asinine. They're good vehicles but not THAT much better. Especially lately.

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/15/19 1:58 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I have an early 3rd gen, so 4.0 V6 and the 4speed. 05+ got a 5 speed. I have lift. tires bumper roof rack etc..... Avg 15.6 95% city driving.

It will tow, v8 does it better, but mine isn't happy with more than ~3-4k on the back. But see lift tires etc above.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/15/19 2:01 p.m.

Tahara built 4Runner. /end.  (for me). 

Now if we were talking Defender D90/110, I would take those.  LR4 over 4R? Never.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 2:06 p.m.

People keep telling me a Toyota will last a million miles and that’s great, but even if the mechanicals will last a long time, by the time a vehicle is at 150-200k I’m worried the interior will be worn, all door and window seals will be worn, bushings and body mounts etc. etc. I don’t want something that will feel worn out. 

Is a $20k 100k miles 10 year old 4Runner really a better vehicle than. 5 year old 75k mile LR4?

Opti
Opti Dork
7/15/19 2:09 p.m.

My personal preference is the LR4.

You are comparing probably the most reliable 4x4 against quite possible the least reliable 4x4.

I say LR4 all the way, but be aware that whenever even the owners clubs talk about them being unreliable, it's probably pretty bad.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/15/19 2:10 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

People keep telling me a Toyota will last a million miles and that’s great, but even if the mechanicals will last a long time, by the time a vehicle is at 150-200k I’m worried the interior will be worn, all door and window seals will be worn, bushings and body mounts etc. etc. I don’t want something that will feel worn out. 

Is a $20k 100k miles 10 year old 4Runner really a better vehicle than. 5 year old 75k mile LR4?

Yes.

Be happy to show you my 237K mile Tacoma. Interior literally looks like the day we bought it new. Dad's got 437K miles on T100. Looks mint.   

I love my FJ Cruiser I recently bought. Paid A LOT for it. I could have gotten lots of brand new suv/cars, for the price I paid.  Having been driving Land Cruisers since FJ60 came out new, I have a lot of faith in them, the way they have served us.   Mom's FJ80 has 331K miles. The driver side leather FINALLY started showing cracks.

But hey - its your car. Buy whatever your heart tells you to. Your hard earned dollar should make you happy - not what some people on the internet forum says.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 2:13 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Now if we were talking Defender D90/110, I would take those.  LR4 over 4R? Never.

Defenders are great to talk about, but not practical in reality.  First you are looking at a 25 year old vehicle and not a 3-10 year old vehicle.  Also, much as I love Defenders, I grew up with them in the UK, they are not a practical DD or family vacation tow vehicle.  Way too basic and harsh.  I don't want a 25 year old imported vehicle as a DD.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/15/19 2:18 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Defenders are great to talk about, but not practical in reality.  First you are looking at a 25 year old vehicle and not a 3-10 year old vehicle.  Also, much as I love Defenders, I grew up with them in the UK, they are not a practical DD or family vacation tow vehicle.  Way too basic and harsh.  I don't want a 25 year old imported vehicle as a DD.

I know they aren't practical. Given LR was mentioned in this thread, I thought from the beginning, practicality wasn't the main objective ;)    I grew up on Nissan Patrol and Cruisers. Our rich friends drove D110. So the lust is always there.

My partner here in the office has a NAS D110 and NAS 90. One yellow one white. Beautiful things. Just not for me. :)

java230
java230 UltraDork
7/15/19 2:18 p.m.

My drivers seat is worn from getting in and out, otherwise interior is great! 

I am sure I have some bushings that could be done, but nothing that causes wobble, noise etc yet.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
7/15/19 2:19 p.m.

Having turned wrenches on Lexus vehicles for more years than I care, I really wanted a 4 runner,  as the reliability is legendary.  I'd have settled quite happily for a GX, except I really wanted that roll down window and a hatch, not a barn door.  I searched for years for a clean used 4 runner,  but found the same sky high pricing. Make the crazy resale work for you, rather than against. Best just to buy new, drive it 100k plus, and when it comes time to sell, you'll actually come out ahead compared to most everything else.

I wasn't able to spend 40k on a new ride, so I ended up with a Xterra, which was promptly swapped for a Armada because I needed more space for the  baby seats. Not as reliable as the Toyota, and terrible resale...which worked out well for me when I purchased.  

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 2:19 p.m.

I keep hearing LR3/4's are the devil, but every owner I've talked too says they are reliable.  I hear comments like 'totally reliable', 'Surprisingly reliable' and 'Nothings has gone wrong with it'.  I also read that warranty dropped 60% from the Defender II to the LR3.  Also talking to people at the local dealer I hear the LR3 engines are reliable as gravity, the LR4 is close, as long as you keep an ear out for the timing chain.  If you hear a rattle, get on top of it immediately, don't wait.  I know they have a bad rap, but I haven't met people who have had issues.  What's the real skinny?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/15/19 2:22 p.m.

Love the GX. Just wish that they at least changed the rear door -  the hinge on it for the USDM market. 

Interesting to see women around here, loading groceries, in their parallel parked GX, away from the pavement, and on the road. Dangerous to say the least. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/15/19 2:26 p.m.

The disco two pretty much grenaded land Rover's reputation in North America, to the point they called the Disco 3 the LR3 in an attempt at rebranding their way out of Hell. But if you go looking the LR3 and LR4 have pretty good reviews. They are however more complex and have a lot more features to go wrong than a Toyota. Mostly though the issues related to the air suspension, which is a good part of the reason I bought mine. If you take the time to learn how it works its pretty easy to understand, and very easy to repair. (With the gap tool!) I got a very good price for mine because the dash was lit up like a Christmas tree and there were over 100 codes logged. I plugged the gap tool in and decided it was a $150.00 ride height sensor, which completely fixed it. No codes of any kind since. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/15/19 2:29 p.m.
TGMF said:

I wasn't able to spend 40k on a new ride, so I ended up with a Xterra, which was promptly swapped for a Armada because I needed more space for the  baby seats. Not as reliable as the Toyota, and terrible resale...which worked out well for me when I purchased.  

Do you have the original Armada (platform with the old Titan), or the current Armada - a real Nissan Patrol minus a few goodies?   The old Armadas terrible reputation, has been a godsend for buyers of the new Armada. You are getting almost a 200series LC, for half the price, since Nissan dealers can't give the current Armada away - due to poor reputation earned from the original USDM Armada. 

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin SuperDork
7/15/19 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

I have the V6 which is in theory a little better on fuel than the v8. But I usually see 17-17.5 on the display in a mix of half and half city and highway. I have seen over 20 on the highway but that's pretty rare. I have also seen 14.5 too many times. But it weighs 6000 pounds so you can't expect miracles. It is a little gutless on the hills with the V6 but the transmission is lovely and it just keeps shifting and maintains the speed. I tow 5000# fairly regularly and it handles that just fine.

dcamp2
dcamp2 New Reader
7/15/19 2:49 p.m.

Another data point:  I have 305K miles on a 2000 4runner.  I've done a timing belt, tune-up and battery in the 60k miles/5 years I've owned it.  Suspension still tight and everything works- I'd drive it anywhere in the country without hesitation.  

BUT if you want a LR get a LR.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/15/19 3:06 p.m.

My FIL's and my parents old 4Runner (now my brothers) were rust proofed underneath. No issues there, and this is/was in Chicago. 

For the interior, the cloth has held up better than the leather.... but the only spot of wear on any of the three is on the side bolsters where my 285lb FIL gets in and out. Otherwise, everything has been remarkably durable inside. Maybe there is some wear of the finish on the radio buttons used the most.

I don't know what other Toyota's you're comparing them to, but my anecdotal perception with them is that their RWD vehicles are much better made than their FWD offerings. (My experience with them: 04 Corolla, 01 and 06 Tundra, 00 and 02 Camry/ES, 03, 07, 09 4Runner, 01 GS).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/15/19 3:08 p.m.

Is rear seat legroom the same on 09 up 4Runners as current 4 door Tacoma’s?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nfmEIgdrKBadmMVkykbodZhd9CgDDe9d2asOD73U1vf4NZtJz37ykOchuCsykY9A