frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/17/18 11:40 a.m.
z31maniac said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Lovely car 

really digging the wheels 

never owned a v12. It’s in my bucket list. Don’t have the balls/pain threshold for it, and Toyota Century v12 isn’t in the cards for CA registration 

reliable v12... is there such a thing ? 

Outside of a few things, the V12 in the old BMW 850 was just two 2.5L M20s spliced together. Each bank ran it's own ECU and such. 

IIRC, the only nasty part is the electrically controlled throttle body motors that I think now are NLA. You'd have to check around though.

Really all V12’s are two six cylinder engines on a common 60 degree crankshaft.  The result will be smooth even firing order without the V8’s second order harmonic 

Pretty much doesn’t matter who makes it. Mercedes BMW Aston Martin Jaguar or whomever

Fear. Because owners seldom really understand engines so mechanics feel free to add unneeded service or work.  They paid a premium for the car, and the mechanic needs to make a boat payment etc. why not? What do they know? 

Truth is the V12 is inherited stronger. Better designed than a V8 with its second order harmonics issue. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/2/19 10:08 p.m.

I’m hot and heavy on the hunt for a 450sel 6.9,  so if anyone knows of one hiding outside of the usual places let me know.  I’m currently doing nationwide searches on cl,  eBay, cargurus, Hemmings, etc.

Also,  for a v12 update:  the AC just recently stopped working in the cl600.  The system is still charged,  so I’m hoping it’s a sensor or something.  Traveling for work quite a bit coming up,  so finding time to troubleshoot will be tough.  In the meantime it’s too hot here to drive a black on black car without ac,  so I’m just driving various other things.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/15/19 10:20 a.m.

Well,  as these things tend to go,  for me anyway,  I may be buying not one,  but two 6.9s!  I’m trying to get the deal locked in with a deposit today.  One is supposedly a driver and the other a rough but running parts car.  

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/15/19 10:54 a.m.

Ohh nice!!!   I saw a 300ce 6.3 yesterday. What a car!!!!   It was an all original pristine condition driver. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/15/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Those are incredible.  I’d love to have one.

grover
grover HalfDork
6/15/19 11:42 a.m.

I’ve got a buddy/client who works for renntech and has 4 classic v12s. One is a coupe with the double thick windows and all that- nice car. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/15/19 12:28 p.m.

My latest rabbit hole is a 09-12 s550 4matic.  I test drove one a while back and I just can not get it out of my head as to what a great place that car is to be when eating up the miles.  My homework is telling me that these are a very reliable (for a merc).  People are comparing them to Camry reliability.  I don't know if that is true or not but it is at least encouraging.  Some where in 08 the fixed the timing chain gear issue.  Basically stay away from the 07-08' is what all my research said.    

I have found one locally that has the options I want the the interior I want and the price I want and teh millage I want.  The down side is the exterior color is not my favorite.  Going to test drive it later today and a second one as well. The second one has the exterior color I like but the millage is a bit more that I want and the interior color is not my 1st choice and it is a lower optioned carBUT the asking price is about $1500 less. 

We will see

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/15/19 12:37 p.m.
Cotton said:

In reply to dean1484 :

Those are incredible.  I’d love to have one.

I was drooling so bad I forgot to take a photo and as it drove away I remembered but by then it was to late.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/15/19 3:42 p.m.

Deposit sent on the 6.9s.  I plan to pick them up around the first of July.  This should get interesting!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/15/19 3:49 p.m.

yes

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/15/19 5:56 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Good luck on the s550 search.  I’m a big fan of those.....they drive so nice.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/6/19 3:31 p.m.

Long time no update.

Two freshly rebuilt turbos for the s600:

Broken vacuum connection on one,  so I need to attempt to find this part new or repair it.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/6/19 6:49 p.m.

One less thing I will have to do

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/6/19 6:51 p.m.
yupididit said:

Maybe two.  I am seriously thinking about doing downpipes while it's torn down.

yupididit
yupididit UberDork
11/6/19 7:00 p.m.
Cotton said:
yupididit said:

Maybe two.  I am seriously thinking about doing downpipes while it's torn down.

Yeah go ahead and set me up real nice lol. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/19/19 11:20 a.m.

So major shift time.  I am not convinced the drivers turbo was the culprit for the smoke the s600 was emitting after all,  so I am back to my original decision awhile back to just use it for parts.  I did go ahead and have the engine and trans pulled,  so at some point once my new shop is finished I will tear into the engine and see what I find.  This still leaves me with the CL,  which is still just plugging right along,  but I'm ready to DD something newer.

The CL600 has been a very nice DD, but it's 17 years old and now over 200k.   Current front runners:

2014-2016 S63 AMG Sedan

2014-2016 S63 AMG coupe

2014+ CLS63 AMG

2014+ E63 S AMG

2014+ S550 and CL550

And the big outlier: Bentley Continental GT Speed edition

The current front runner is the S63 sedan.  I rented a new S class when I was in CA earlier this year and the interior in the S class just blows everything else away, including the Bentley.  Also,  even though its a heavy sedan it's damn fast (0-60 3.7 and 12.1 1/4) and responds well to tunes if you want more.  So,  I'm leaning towards the s63 with under 50k miles,  then tune and exhaust and done.  I think I will still keep the cl600 for a toy and take it further performance wise,  but haven't fully decided yet.  If I do keep the CL I'll also keep the S600 around for parts.

I'm also looking at the e63s, CLS63, s/cl550, and Bentley,  but those will really only come into play if I can't find the right deal on an S63 over the next 6 months.

Anything I'm missing?  I'm looking for roomy, very luxurious, very fast and Mercedes seems to have the market cornered here.  I know Tesla will be mentioned,  and I did look at model S very briefly,  but the interior kills it for me completely.  Not to mention I do like the exhaust sound of a nice v8/v12 and the 63 series Benz with an exhaust sounds killer,  and fuel economy isn't really a concern to a point.  The s63 averages 18MPG which is good enough for me.

I will say I did consider a 911 or Jag type F,  but they didn't make the cut based on the "roomy" requirement.  So unless I find another contender the hunt is on for a good deal on a 2014-2016 S63 while also looking at some of the other contenders.  The hunt is on.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/19/19 11:27 a.m.

So what you’re saying is one day we’re going to see a 6.9 with a V12TT? I can dig that.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/19/19 11:40 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

So what you’re saying is one day we’re going to see a 6.9 with a V12TT? I can dig that.

Man,  I really want to swap the v12 into something,  but I don't know if I can figure out the wiring.  Speed Driven used to sell a standalone for the m275,  but they are long out of business.  I know megasquirt is an option,  but that's way outside of my wheelhouse,  so we'll see what develops.  

So, since we're talking swaps,  my first thought was a 65 Riviera roller I have.  It would be a wonderful day if I could figure out how to swap the TT v12 and trans into that car.

Mike
Mike SuperDork
12/19/19 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

The S63, particularly the coupe, is in my want pile, so I'm not adding anything except to pile on as an enabler. I mean, if you had to, you could look at the other S variants, including the 65 and whatever non-AMG has been through Renntech or Brabus. I don't think I'd look at any other tuners, and an AMG is more appealing. 

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
12/19/19 12:11 p.m.
Cotton said:
I know megasquirt is an option,  but that's way outside of my wheelhouse,  so we'll see what develops.  

A lot of what we do is help people do configurations for some of the crazier swaps. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you have when the time comes.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/19/19 12:37 p.m.

In reply to Cotton :

Man, a v12 TT swapped 65 Riviera would be incredible.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
12/19/19 1:04 p.m.

S63 seems like a great choice. 

How about a Jag XJR, Panamera Turbo or Alpina B7? 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/19/19 1:06 p.m.
Mike said:

In reply to Cotton :

The S63, particularly the coupe, is in my want pile, so I'm not adding anything except to pile on as an enabler. I mean, if you had to, you could look at the other S variants, including the 65 and whatever non-AMG has been through Renntech or Brabus. I don't think I'd look at any other tuners, and an AMG is more appealing. 

I prefer the look of the coupe and they do seem to hold their value a bit better, but we would also use this as a trip car and the extra doors would be nice.  However,  if I find the perfect coupe at the right price I would definitely buy it.

I'd be all over a Brabus or Renntech modified car,  but so far I'm not really seeing anything on the market in the price range I'm looking.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/19/19 1:07 p.m.
Paul_VR6 said:
Cotton said:
I know megasquirt is an option,  but that's way outside of my wheelhouse,  so we'll see what develops.  

A lot of what we do is help people do configurations for some of the crazier swaps. Feel free to hit me up with any questions you have when the time comes.

This is great to know.  I will be calling is this ends up progressing.  

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/19/19 1:12 p.m.
Sonic said:

S63 seems like a great choice. 

How about a Jag XJR, Panamera Turbo or Alpina B7? 

The newer XJR wasn't really on my radar,  so I will take a look.

The Panamera turbo is definitely one to consider.  I have driven a Turbo S and it really hustled,  made all the right noises,  and the interior is pretty amazing.

Alpina B7 is another one not on my radar at all.  I will take a look.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
I629L3M8Qhserw27JwfXBfl7YghdAzxVryATITe0pgd7QorXnakYkoXDfDWAR14L