1 2
nedc
nedc New Reader
5/25/10 12:40 p.m.

Looking for some feedback on the value of a 1999 Viper GTS. I know the ultimate value of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay, but i'm trying to sell this thing for my sister and want to get an idea of fair market value given the mileage/condition and the fact that it is a somewhat 'exotic' car. Here's the link to the CL ad: http://charleston.craigslist.org/cto/1750759544.html

Almost all the similar ones I see for sale are low mileage - 15-25K. I've been offered $22k, should I take it? Thanks.

Raze
Raze HalfDork
5/25/10 1:21 p.m.

tough economy to sell a piece like that, though now you've given me ideas of buying a used viper instead of a lotus as a toy car someday...

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi New Reader
5/25/10 2:50 p.m.
nedc wrote: Almost all the similar ones I see for sale are low mileage - 15-25K. I've been offered $22k, should I take it? Thanks.

$22K seems fair, I looked at one for $20K about three years ago but it needed "work". I'd like to have one....

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
5/25/10 3:55 p.m.

22K is fair.

Vipers will run forever if they are stock or close to it and have no electronic chips or software installed that screw with the Air fuel ratio. Its basically a 390 with two extra cylinders.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/25/10 4:06 p.m.

Take the money and run.

nedc
nedc New Reader
5/25/10 4:14 p.m.

Thanks for the input. Looks like it's a done deal.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
5/25/10 4:52 p.m.
nedc wrote: Thanks for the input. Looks like it's a done deal.

Good to hear.

Now someone buy my 06' so I can get a 10' ACR.

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
5/25/10 7:07 p.m.
Raze wrote: ...now you've given me ideas of buying a used viper instead of a lotus as a toy car someday...

+1

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
5/25/10 7:53 p.m.

Geez, the affluence level of board members seems to be on the upswing.

(Still driving my Sentra.)

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
5/25/10 8:20 p.m.

Nice ride and $22K sounds more than fair for both buyer and seller. I only wish I were 10 years down the road. I'd have to take a serious look.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
5/25/10 10:13 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Geez, the affluence level of board members seems to be on the upswing. (Still driving my Sentra.)

Around these parts, $22k won't get you a loaded Civic. While it's 3x the price of the most expensive car I've owned, for better or worse..it's not "ton" of money for a car.

Look at it the other way: it's a hell of a car for 22k, and it's unlikely to depreciate much/any further. Using this logic, the Viper is cheaper than a Civic.

1slowcrx
1slowcrx HalfDork
5/25/10 11:34 p.m.
njansenv wrote:
jstein77 wrote: Geez, the affluence level of board members seems to be on the upswing. (Still driving my Sentra.)
Around these parts, $22k won't get you a loaded Civic. While it's 3x the price of the most expensive car I've owned, for better or worse..it's not "ton" of money for a car. Look at it the other way: it's a hell of a car for 22k, and it's unlikely to depreciate much/any further. Using this logic, the Viper is cheaper than a Civic.

But still 18k out of my price range :-(

unevolved
unevolved Reader
5/26/10 7:19 a.m.

I own three cars, and their cumulative value is about a third of that.

You're not alone.

Raze
Raze HalfDork
5/26/10 8:35 a.m.
njansenv wrote:
Around these parts, $22k won't get you a loaded Civic. While it's 3x the price of the most expensive car I've owned, for better or worse..it's not "ton" of money for a car. Look at it the other way: it's a hell of a car for 22k, and it's unlikely to depreciate much/any further. Using this logic, the Viper is cheaper than a Civic.

You logic is flawless so now I must sell my Ranger, Wife's wedding ring, kidney, and left testicle to buy a Viper, damn you!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
5/26/10 8:57 a.m.
unevolved wrote: I own three cars, and their cumulative value is about a third of that. You're not alone.

That sounds like rich to me....

By my calculations, the cumulative value of my three is approximately half of the cumulative value of yours.

Woohoo!!!!

jstein77
jstein77 HalfDork
5/26/10 10:52 a.m.
Raze wrote: You logic is flawless so now I must sell my Ranger, Wife's wedding ring, kidney, and left testicle to buy a Viper, damn you!

So how much do left testicles fetch these days?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/26/10 10:58 a.m.

less than right ones

WilD
WilD HalfDork
5/26/10 11:31 a.m.

Wow, if that's the going rate for a nice GTS, I will be buying one in the not to distant future.

Turbonutter
Turbonutter New Reader
5/26/10 11:41 a.m.

Man, y'all are a depressing lot. Any way you look at it though, that's one helluva car for 22k.

sachilles
sachilles HalfDork
5/26/10 12:19 p.m.

My 4 running vehicles combined purchase price is just a tick under the 22k. I'd probably trade them all for it if I could figure out a good way to put a child seat in there. Every once in a while I get the itch for a new car(or newer car) and I just can't justify having a car payment.

I think I could win the powerball tomorrow, and I likely still wouldn't have a car newer than 3 years old. Of course I'd probably have a barn full of craigslist finds.

Anyways, I think 22k for that viper is a good value. In this economy, if you have someone that can give you that money, I'd pull the trigger. You've probably got more than your money's worth out of that car.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Reader
5/26/10 12:24 p.m.
1slowcrx wrote:
njansenv wrote:
But still 18k out of my price range :-(

17k out of mine, still who'da thunk it more than 10yrs ago.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
5/26/10 3:54 p.m.

Now that is a nice looking car for $22k! I may have to do a re-think as well! How can I convince my wife that I just added a hardtop to the Miata?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
5/26/10 4:29 p.m.

what was the nosebleed price of a GTS when they were new?

For that matter.. what is a prowler worth now?

Raze
Raze HalfDork
5/26/10 4:42 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: what was the nosebleed price of a GTS when they were new?

a 2000 GTS had an MSRP of $86000...

mad_machine wrote: For that matter.. what is a prowler worth now?

$32k for a 2001 6500 mile example: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ctd/1761014654.html

$19.5k for a 2001 'driven' one: http://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/1730564139.html

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
5/26/10 4:44 p.m.

Prowlers still hold there value pretty good, I payed 38K new in 01' They sell with sub 5K mileage in the low 30's.

Viper values swing so much do to dodges inability to market correctly. They would introduce a model then start showing a better looking prototype almost immediately after. I think in 96 or 97 they even did only half a years production as everyone was holding the for the next update. So if you bought on the up tick in price it was a big premium and when you sold in a valley you got hosed.

You occasionally even see 08's still new on the lot. The car just keeps getting better and better every year so some cars in undesirable colors just get left behind.

Color plays a big part in sales as well, tons of red's and black and yellow not so much the other stuff. I would do really bad things for a white body, black stripe, red drivers line ACR right now. You see then every now and then with some good discounts.

Yeah I hotlinked it, want to fight about it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HSLPZVlxxpj93Cw4tSFItpdfZ721iQVhQCJFiDqEHlIw2AkiVjPZgkUjlzYmSsAh