Clarty
Clarty New Reader
3/9/15 9:56 a.m.

I had one in college 24 (Wow!) years ago, and loved it. I still miss my Vanagon and am thinking about considering one again someday.

Am I nuts?

I love the way they drive, and everything else about them, but acknowledge the engines are crap. Subaru-engined ones are crazy expensive, though.

Safety network is always brought up when talking Vanagons, so I looked into that: Vanagon Safety

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
3/9/15 10:26 a.m.

The only part I see wrong is that it is a Vanagon. Split window buses are so much cooler. Here is mine sitting outside my office window.[/URL]" />

Waldo
Waldo New Reader
3/9/15 10:27 a.m.

The only part I see wrong is that it is a Vanagon. Split window buses are so much cooler. Here is mine sitting outside my office window.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
3/9/15 10:53 a.m.

For same price as a nice 80's Vanagon you can find a E-Series or GMC Savanna AWD that is 15 years newer, get the same or better MPG, has more space, and has a far more reliable engine.

If I could find a Vanagon in decent shape for $1500 or so, I might consider it, but otherwise, no thanks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/9/15 11:06 a.m.

Nothing wrong with Vanagons! It's easier to find a good one than it is the more rust-prone splitties. I do miss the plaid upholstery, though.

Subaru ones don't have to be crazy expensive. If you believe the GRM forum, you can do the swap in about 25 minutes for $100. If you believe my coworker, it's two years and $7k. The reality is likely in the middle. Ours has a Subaru, and it was less than a lot of VW-powered ones I see. Plus it'll retain its value.

They're getting old, but they have a rabid enthusiast base. So you have the typical old car problems like NLA parts and stuff just wearing out. But thanks to that enthusiast base, DIY information is very easy to come by and it's easy to find salvage parts. Also, VW reused a lot of parts across their whole line so consumables are usually pretty easy to find. Thanks to the unique nature of the vehicle, they hold their resale pretty well. If you get a good one, it'll hold value. If you get a piece of crap, it'll remain a piece of crap

They really aren't like full size vans. There's a reason they hold their value.

Clarty
Clarty New Reader
3/9/15 1:16 p.m.

Did I fall through some wormhole and end up in Consumer Reports?

PHeller wrote: For same price as a nice 80's Vanagon you can find a E-Series or GMC Savanna AWD that is 15 years newer, get the same or better MPG, has more space, and has a far more reliable engine.

I suppose I could get one of those domestic slushbox snoozemobiles, but then I'd have to drive it. What I love about Vanagons is the way they drive; they really are a blast. Econoline? Not so much, unless it's a 1960s forward-control version.

Clarty
Clarty New Reader
3/9/15 1:27 p.m.
Waldo wrote: The only part I see wrong is that it is a Vanagon. Split window buses are so much cooler. Here is mine sitting outside my office window.

Very nice. As much as I like vintage VWs, I'm much more a Vanagon guy. I'm not big on the

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/9/15 2:09 p.m.

vanagons are thick as all get out around here. Lots of nice syncrho's running around. I'm intreiged, especially if it's a westy full camper. Subaru power for the win.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields New Reader
3/9/15 2:46 p.m.

In reply to Clarty: If you love Vanagons, you should have one. They are not outrageously priced (so far), they are roomy and practical, they are eaten up with character, and, well, just because.

qdseeker
qdseeker Reader
3/9/15 2:48 p.m.

I'd own/drive a Vanagon in a heartbeat. With good luck, I'll have my '72 Bay on the road within the month.

vwfreek
vwfreek New Reader
3/9/15 4:38 p.m.

I've got an '87 Westy. This spring, I'll be swapping out the wasserboxer for a 2.0 ABA bottom end with a counter-flow head. With the mounts, oil pan, hoses, etc. from a diesel Vanagon it looks like everything should bolt right in and fit under the decklid. I've been gathering the parts for the last 2 years. I miss driving it...you're not going anywhere fast, so enjoy the ride.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
3/9/15 4:52 p.m.

Now you have me scouring Craigslist. There are 2 for sale out here, and they're both gloriously 80's brown.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/9/15 6:06 p.m.

I have had a number of Vanagons, and currently own two. All of mine have been full campers. Three Westfalias and a ASC. One of the Westfalias was a Synchro. One of mine doesn't have power steering. The manual steering is awesomely direct and precise. It sucks a little to park it.

My brown one has 270,000 miles. Its a 1984.

I know Subarus are much better. Anybody can tell that because there are so many 1984 Subarus left on the roads today. I think I saw one just last month. Old Subarus are just everywhere.

The cooling system has steel or plastic hoses to the front which either rot or crack. One of mine has had hoses instead for the last 20 years. The bodies are strong and well made.

The brakes are small for the camper, but they work.

I can carry multi surfboards boards and two bikes inside and two bikes on the back and have four available seat belts.

The head coorrosion coolant leaks are well documented. I've been running antichrist Dexcool in my brown car for the last 12 years without changing it. Try that with Pentosin.

The cheap Bosch switches etc. are standard VW Porsche Audi low grade crap. Its a good idea to rewire and relay the headlights. Blower fan switches die all the time.

Gosh they are useful. I can carry a lot more than a big tired station wagon (SUV to you). My brother can't believe I can back an 8 horsepower snow blower in it.

That said, without the camper, I don't think I would want it.

My high mileage car has developed a weird noise. If it needs a motor, I'm thinking Zetec. Expensive, but I like the idea. I know that people sometimes buy cars that don't even keep the beer cold (the stock propane frig runs about 3 weeks on 2.5 gallons), but why?

My yellow car (Kept in Maine) [URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Super-Seven/media/Vanagon%20Westfalias/NewWestyDriversSide_zps9bae06d9.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Super-Seven/media/Vanagon%20Westfalias/NewWestyInterior_zps05ceb80b.jpg.html][/URL]

The Brown car. I keep this in California (only 240,000 miles as of photo) [URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Super-Seven/media/Vanagon%20Westfalias/BrownVanagon3_zps7504fc66.jpg.html][/URL]

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
3/9/15 7:19 p.m.
850Combat wrote: I have had a number of Vanagons, and currently own two. All of mine have been full campers. Three Westfalias and a ASC. One of the Westfalias was a Synchro. One of mine doesn't have power steering. The manual steering is awesomely direct and precise. It sucks a little to park it. My brown one has 270,000 miles. Its a 1984. I know Subarus are much better. Anybody can tell that because there are so many 1984 Subarus left on the roads today. I think I saw one just last month. Old Subarus are just everywhere. The cooling system has steel or plastic hoses to the front which either rot or crack. One of mine has had hoses instead for the last 20 years. The bodies are strong and well made. The brakes are small for the camper, but they work. I can carry multi surfboards boards and two bikes inside and two bikes on the back and have four available seat belts. The head coorrosion coolant leaks are well documented. I've been running antichrist Dexcool in my brown car for the last 12 years without changing it. Try that with Pentosin. The cheap Bosch switches etc. are standard VW Porsche Audi low grade crap. Its a good idea to rewire and relay the headlights. Blower fan switches die all the time. Gosh they are useful. I can carry a lot more than a big tired station wagon (SUV to you). My brother can't believe I can back an 8 horsepower snow blower in it. That said, without the camper, I don't think I would want it. My high mileage car has developed a weird noise. If it needs a motor, I'm thinking Zetec. Expensive, but I like the idea. I know that people sometimes buy cars that don't even keep the beer cold (the stock propane frig runs about 3 weeks on 2.5 gallons), but why? My yellow car (Kept in Maine) [URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Super-Seven/media/Vanagon%20Westfalias/NewWestyDriversSide_zps9bae06d9.jpg.html][/URL] [URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Super-Seven/media/Vanagon%20Westfalias/NewWestyInterior_zps05ceb80b.jpg.html][/URL] The Brown car. (only 240,000 miles as of photo) [URL=http://s1057.photobucket.com/user/Super-Seven/media/Vanagon%20Westfalias/BrownVanagon3_zps7504fc66.jpg.html][/URL]

well said.. and 2 nice vans

Hal
Hal SuperDork
3/9/15 8:03 p.m.
850Combat wrote: My high mileage car has developed a weird noise. If it needs a motor, I'm thinking Zetec.

I've seen one of those. Very neat looking.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
3/9/15 8:27 p.m.

I would not do air cooled at all. The water cooled has issues, but lasts longer, has more power, and fuel economy sucks less than air cooled does. No heat, no defroster, all that.

The Waterboxer lacks power, but what it does have is properly placed for the load it has to haul. It feels like 2500 or so is max torque, and that holds hills on my way to the beach. Probably anything else has equal or better torque at that RPM though. I'm one of the few who prefers the 1.9 WBX to the 2.1. For me, stroking rarely makes a happier motor.

Bostig markets pjug and play Vanagon Zetec conversions at very considerable cost. I like the idea of a 2.3 Duratec a lot more for the lighter block and better power.

http://www.bostig.com/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pRZD5pv7Qj2SJnXj3w29R64zM8XjtKvXDSBlCQCVj7dvzmWo3W30P4NUMKQqUw4j