1 2
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/22/23 9:57 a.m.
 When it's not broken, it's pretty great!

This. 

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
11/23/23 1:08 p.m.

Here's some 41 year info- R&T 11/1982. 

I was broke and in college and went and test drove a new Rabbit GTI but I couldn't afford it driving a $3000 Datsun - didn't have the $6000+ I needed for this but it's still in my head......

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/23/23 1:37 p.m.

I regret selling my Mk2 GTI. It had 55k on it and I sold it to the son of the guy I bought it from 17 years ago. Should have kept it because I hear it's sitting outdoors rusting away.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/23/23 2:45 p.m.
_cruster said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Interesting - the MK7 is surely the most reliable GTI yet.

How much of this statement is just because MK7 GTIs are relatively young?

I think the info just isn't there to support this claim.  I hope it is true though.

rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
2/8/24 2:41 p.m.

Recently started enjoying a 2003 MK4 GTI, VR6 6SPD. Absolutely a blast to drive, great visibility. The VR6 pulls strong, definitely makes me feel that German HP is a helluva lot different than the 210HP o f my 2005 Type-S RSX, with golf feeling a lot stronger. 

Feeling the pinch of the leftist movement to electric cars and might be moving it along soon to enjoy another bucket list car.

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
4/24/24 4:39 p.m.

Reason No. 6: If you're a taller driver, typically a GTI has decent headroom. wink

chaparral
chaparral SuperDork
4/30/24 12:17 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I sold my '15 GTI SE 6M with 155k miles on it this winter. It had an APR Stage 1 tune and intake installed after the first oil change by the first owner.

84FSP
84FSP PowerDork
4/30/24 2:26 p.m.

As someone about to send an 84 GTI into a fresh paint booth I support yes - buy a pop can MK1.  It's a smiles per mile equivalent to the Miata if not as high performance due to FWD.  I've never had more fun in a car this slow.  Now modded to ~105Whp at 1850lbs, fun but still a turtle by modern standards.

rjracin240
rjracin240 New Reader
7/22/24 1:54 p.m.
ChrisTropea said:

I have owned 2 GTIs and I really regret selling my MK4 VR6 GTI, that was a really cool car. My MK6 was a good car but was not the most reliable car at times. 

Have a 2003 GTI VR6, great fun, enjoyed updating it with new shocks, bushings, tie rods, ball joints, and finding little bits and pieces at the wrecking yard to fix small things like missing knobs on radio. Brought back a set of European headlights with the glass lenses that I still need to install. Fun car, but bucket list is now completed on this one and will probably feel regrets after I find a new owner for it!

Is my daily driver with a round trip of 100 miles each day.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels Reader
9/16/24 5:28 p.m.

I test drove the first GTI that came with the 16 valve engine and was blown away...it made my autocross car at the time look slow...and it wasnt. If I could have managed the payments I would have been all in. Now I am not sure their present day reliability is even acceptable according to what I have read and the older ones that might be reliable are less so because of age and inattentive owners...my time for a GTI has passed I think.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v6SkND3oTIchtaoTTlMoB9ubqzPCET5AYYOe4zd65UGhZu4S7CmMevOi65uaSKwO