rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
12/6/15 5:05 p.m.

I'd like to hit the ground running for the next autocross season. Is there a driving video game that simulates autocross or something close? A few years back when my children were learning to drive (wow, like 7 years ago!) I built a driving simulator using a car seat from a junk yard, some 2x4s, and a force feedback steering wheel/pedal set and connected it to one of their video games for driving practice. I had to pretty much force them to practice, but it was definitely better than anything I had (wow, like a million years ago!- actually in the late 70's).

What does the hive think: Any gaming console out there now likely to help as an autocross simulator?

failboat
failboat UberDork
12/6/15 5:24 p.m.

Live for speed on PC has autocross, you can also make your own courses or download them from others. Bonus is its been out a while and you don't need a really nice computer to run it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cEt7bZ7IFMc

I haven't seen decent autocross on a console since Forza 1 on the original Xbox.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
12/6/15 5:55 p.m.

Gran Turismo 6 for the PS3 will work ok. It's road racing so it's not directly applicable, but it does help with using good brake points and taking the correct driving line. As a bonus, you can race with us, the GRM group, in simulation central.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
12/6/15 6:27 p.m.

I don't find any games that help with autocross because so much of autocross requires vision you don't get from playing the game. Road coarses it helps more because you can learn lines.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
12/6/15 10:53 p.m.

F-Zero for SNES - only game with real slaloms and the right number of driver inputs per minute.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/6/15 11:12 p.m.

Hard to find as it never sold in big numbers and arcades are dead, but find a title called racing jam. Had an autcross mode. Maybe find an emulator of it. Pretty realistic.

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
12/7/15 12:03 a.m.

Forza 6 has an autocross mode, but it's more like gates on a racetrack than actual autocross.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
12/7/15 12:51 a.m.
RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/7/15 8:53 a.m.
chaparral wrote: F-Zero for SNES - only game with real slaloms and the right number of driver inputs per minute.

You kinda have a point. I only played it on N64 but boy was that a lot of work to keep it pointed where you needed to. Loved that game.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
12/7/15 9:09 a.m.

NFS Underground 2 has "StreetX" which is basically big autocross courses with concrete instead of cones, if you happen to have that one. An F1 sim will also have the right number of driver inputs per minute...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
12/7/15 9:12 a.m.

Why not just keep autocrossing all winter?

(Notice that there are no cones, because the kids would eat them. Why? Because kids love snow cones!)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Dork
12/7/15 9:55 a.m.

One of the local clubs runs a 'Slush Series' through the winter months.
I'm getting the impression that that isn't a normal thing to have available though.
I've run two of the three events so far, for sure has helped with finesse: the first was in sub-freezing temps (on RE71Rs!), the second had rain for most of the day. (less of a problem on RE71Rs)

Desmond
Desmond Reader
12/7/15 10:55 a.m.

Live for Speed is probably as close as you'll get. Its pretty good, although to truly make for good autocross practice, you would need an Oculus Rift or a mean triple monitor setup. That would allow you to keep your eyes up and look ahead like you're supposed to.

On a single monitor, you wont get past the first corner properly because you wont be able to see the next :P This problem isn't as bad on road courses, unless its COTA.

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
12/7/15 6:10 p.m.

Thanks for all the good inputs! I don't know that I'm in for multiple monitors though. I'll have to give some of these a look.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB HalfDork
12/7/15 6:24 p.m.

I think Night Driver from circa 1980 is the way to go. Nothing but pylons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHp8B3ZWLIc

OldGray320i
OldGray320i HalfDork
12/8/15 10:31 a.m.

Why don't you guys autocross during the winter? We do it all the time here in southern Arizona.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
12/8/15 10:37 a.m.

The only real answer is Datsun 280ZZZAP!!!!

I mean, look at this gameplay!

LuxInterior
LuxInterior Reader
12/8/15 11:24 a.m.

Ice racing! Check for events in your area. We have a bunch here in Colorado.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/8/15 11:38 a.m.
OldGray320i wrote: Why don't you guys autocross during the winter? We do it all the time here in southern Arizona.

The region Red GT and I run with used to have a Winter series, but it went away a few years ago. The organizing staff needed a break and I think everyone would go nuts running at the same air-strip venue for 12 months straight...

In my humble opinion, the best "training" I've found for autocross is mountain biking. It trains you to look ahead while processing multiple visual cues at speed.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/8/15 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

You use the present tense "run" but I haven't seen you in like three years. Hey there's a rallycross on Jan 10.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/8/15 4:15 p.m.
RedGT wrote: In reply to Ian F: You use the present tense "run" but I haven't seen you in like three years. Hey there's a rallycross on Jan 10.

Ha! I knew that was coming.

Unfortunately, I lack a car I trust to run autocross in. Neither the Mini nor the Spit would pass tech and the TDI is still out of action.

I'll put 1/10 on my calendar. I had damn well better have the TDI running by then and/or I'll be there with Nonack.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
12/8/15 4:57 p.m.

Just finished up my sim setup for winter. Home-made steel frame, turbo dodge seat, 37" monitor, surround sound, Logitech G27. So far I have LFS and R-Factor demos. I like LFS so far and may subscribe. Going to give Dirt Rally and Asseto Corsa a try soon.

I am right in DE if you want to swing by and check it out before putting time/money into a full build.

-John

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
12/8/15 5:35 p.m.

Not AutoX, but pretty cool (angle makes it look a bit weird):

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5xw8DJY7aZQ

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a7CPUl3bFL0Z7eaXp6jyhYogBEgrFW15A2Iw6i4Ab7s8tEHeBESDWGe9XQ7LWBlv