TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
11/1/15 3:35 p.m.

I've had this Mini T style dune buggy body for sale forever, have a single seat VW powered dragster chassis to go along with it. Nobody wants it, can't give it away . . .

I was out back going through my mountain of junk MGA stuff and moved the dune buggy body to the edge of the woods. Took a serious look at it way over there and decided to prop some wheels up under the fenders.

Damn if it didn't suddenly look just a little bit like a Locost without the cut-down doors. Maybe ought to skip the whole dune buggy thing and begin thinking of it as a different kind of project; cut down the doors and get a chassis under it, see where things lead.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/1/15 3:48 p.m.

Makes sense to me! Seems like a lot of the raw ingredients are there... or at least a good way to soak up a lot of parts hanging around your shop. How hard is it to pie cut and add material back into fiberglass? Like, to level the turtle deck, get some of that sagged look out of the body?

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
11/1/15 3:56 p.m.

"How hard is it to pie cut and add material back into fiberglass?"

Easy Peasy ! ! !

I think that the body was originally designed and cast to mimic one of those weird creations by Big Daddy Roth or even George Barris. Almost a cartoon; high in the back, low in the front, sort of "sway-backed" and all. Luckily, fiberglass is as easy as can be to modify and still stay safe and ridged.

That rear deck is the first to be fixed. Leveled and shortened. Just leave enough to cover the engine and let a rear engine cage do the rest.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/1/15 4:03 p.m.

Lot of options. Roll-bar would be smart, may want the rear deck kept long, but shortening it and maybe rolling the trailing edge would help.

Lot of work!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
11/1/15 5:03 p.m.

I'd put some sort of cage in it to give some stiffness and side impact protection, hidden as possible by the body, tie to the (shortened?) VW pan that body is presumably meant for. From there making it handle shouldn't be too hard.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
11/1/15 5:38 p.m.

Measure the dimensions of the body from the cabin forward, and compare them to a Locost. It looks like you'll need to shorten the front - and obviously you'll be doing much of your own engineering in the back - but I think it would work fine. Essentially you'll just build a Locost-inspired chassis, with a VW drivetrain in the rear, that just happens to fit under that bodywork. Easy peasy.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
11/1/15 5:48 p.m.

Save your sanity. Ill be over soon with a few cases of beer. We'll load it on my truck and make it go away.

That thing looks berkeleying rad!

rusty
rusty New Reader
11/1/15 6:11 p.m.

Where are you located and how much were you asking for it?

El Cheapo
El Cheapo HalfDork
11/1/15 6:36 p.m.

One of my VW friends had the same fiberglass body sitting behind his garage for years. I just figured he was too lazy to cart it off to the dumps. ....so one day a asked WTF was the deal with the cartoon fiberglass body..... jeeeze, It was like I kicked his dog or something. I guess some people still like the miniT style.

Anyway, for some reason your photo makes that body look cool. hmmm.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gb6wAP2WVeAwIi1S2eYW2sb8inBUVu3ZCDi9shuApG7DQubFB2giayjldAUIEh4Q