1 2 3
dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 5:15 p.m.

Hey all,

So once again, I'm thinking about changing up my car lineup... I currently have a 1998 C5 Corvette (auto) that I got for a steal because of a rebuilt title. It drives fine and has no mechanical issues, but I'm just not feeling it. It feels too much like a modern car, whereas I was expecting something more raw. The traction control is pretty bad too, I have to basically keep it disabled if I want to have any fun at all. It's neither new enough nor old enough to be truly cool. The automatic is kinda lame too. There are quite a few parts that are discontinued for the early C5's, like the traction control/ABS module which is both non-rebuildable and no longer sold new.

I've been in my friend's C3 Corvette and it's way cooler. The engine sounds better, it's got no electronic nannies, no computers of any kind, and the interior just has this vintage car feel that I'm really digging. Having mostly worked on newer cars, I'm really into the idea of a car where everything is mechanical and relatively simple. The swappability appeals to me too, as it's easy to put a big block and a different transmission into a C3 due to its lack of computers. Plus the C3 just has this really cool look to it that's so different from every car today.

I've wanted a classic car for a while now, and it seems like the C3 Corvette is one of the cheapest ways to get into that, as there are running examples for less than a rusty Camaro shell. Plus it can actually handle pretty well out of the box and isn't the size of a yacht.

I already have a pretty solid daily driver/road trip car so reliability is a low concern. I'm in Arizona where C3's are easy to find and mostly rust-free as well. I have a garage and a space where I can do body work (as well as the tools to do body work). I've rebuilt complicated BMW V8's so I figure I can handle a small block/big block pretty easily. I've also watched a lot of Roadkill so I'm clearly an expert /s.

Thoughts?

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
1/22/18 5:19 p.m.

Do it.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/22/18 5:32 p.m.

Buy c3 shell. Apply c5 engine. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ HalfDork
1/22/18 5:40 p.m.

I've had both.  I've driven several C3's.  And yeah....you're nuts.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/22/18 5:42 p.m.

In reply to dannyzabolotny :

"Handle pretty well" - yes, compared to pretty much any other American car from the late-60's/early-70's, but don't expect anything close to your C5, or much of anything else from the 90's up for that matter. Also, check closely for birdcage rust. I know next to zero about it, other than there are apparently many C3s out there with it, and it's not always easy to find.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/22/18 5:42 p.m.

I say do it. 

calteg
calteg Dork
1/22/18 5:43 p.m.

Yes, you're crazy.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
1/22/18 5:45 p.m.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 5:52 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Buy c3 shell. Apply c5 engine. 

I don't want an LS, as sacrilegious as it may sound. I want a small block/big block with a carb, I want zero computers of any kind. All mechanical is what I'm aiming for.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 5:58 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

I've had both.  I've driven several C3's.  And yeah....you're nuts.

I feel like the C5 feels too much like a normal car. Like it's drivable and doesn't reek of gas and oil all the time. I want something more hot rod-esque, something that's a little more punishing but rewarding to drive. I'm not chasing after lap times or stats, just a certain feel.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 5:59 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

"Handle pretty well" - yes, compared to pretty much any other American car from the late-60's/early-70's, but don't expect anything close to your C5, or much of anything else from the 90's up for that matter. Also, check closely for birdcage rust. I know next to zero about it, other than there are apparently many C3s out there with it, and it's not always easy to find.

I mean, I live in Arizona so as long as I can go on a drag strip and the occasional track day that's all the handling I really need. I don't plan on autocrossing or anything that would require supreme precision.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/22/18 5:59 p.m.

In every measurable way they are worse cars. But I still get it. 

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
1/22/18 6:05 p.m.

Friend of mine just bought and sold a c3 inside of 2 months because according to him it was just boring and miserable. He talked about it the same way I talk about my 1999 Malibu.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
1/22/18 6:06 p.m.

Won’t parts be even more of an issue in a c3? Or is it like the early Camaro and Mustangs that you can basically build an entire new car from the aftermarket. 

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
1/22/18 6:09 p.m.

Id do it but i dislike modern cars for a fun car. I like old cars, simple cars. Things i dont drive past every day. I understand the feel your looking for. Its my favorite part of this hobby.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 6:09 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Friend of mine just bought and sold a c3 inside of 2 months because according to him it was just boring and miserable. He talked about it the same way I talk about my 1999 Malibu.

I guess it depends on what he was expecting? I expect a C3 to be loud, somewhat uncomfortable, and not very practical (no trunk!). That's what I actually want though, because I already have a daily driver that's quiet, comfortable, and practical.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 6:11 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Won’t parts be even more of an issue in a c3? Or is it like the early Camaro and Mustangs that you can basically build an entire new car from the aftermarket. 

Yeah, the aftermarket is crazy good for these cars. You can basically buy a whole new interior and a brand new AC system for these cars for reasonable money. Suspension components are readily available, and the drivetrain is whatever you want it to be since the C3 will happily fit either a small block or a big block. Plus there are no crazy electronic components that stop the car from being drivable if they fail.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 6:12 p.m.
dropstep said:

Id do it but i dislike modern cars for a fun car. I like old cars, simple cars. Things i dont drive past every day. I understand the feel your looking for. Its my favorite part of this hobby.

That was my thought. Modern cars are too good at what they do, I want something that's more of a project. I like the idea of an old, simple car, where everything can be adjusted with a screwdriver and not a laptop. Every car is becoming super computerized and loaded with gadgets, so I want to get away from that as much as possible, at least for my fun car.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
1/22/18 6:14 p.m.

He said his was all of those things with no upsides. He swapped in a 350hp 305 he built. Still no fun. So he sold the car. Kept his 305 though. It was a low mile 4 speed rubber bumper car.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/22/18 6:15 p.m.

I must be crazy too because I'd much rather have a C3 than a C5 as long as I'm not headed to a racetrack with it.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 6:17 p.m.
Daylan C said:

He said his was all of those things with no upsides. He swapped in a 350hp 305 he built. Still no fun. So he sold the car. Kept his 305 though. It was a low mile 4 speed rubber bumper car.

Weird, he found a 4-speed C3 with 350hp to be boring? Dunno what he was looking for then. I wouldn't go anywhere near a 305 though, I'd want a 383 at the bare minimum, if not a 454 or a 502. I like the idea of a car where I can swap the drivetrain on a whim in less than a week, as opposed to my BMW's where engine swaps are extremely painful and ludicrously expensive (if you're swapping in anything other than the same engine the car came with).

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
1/22/18 6:19 p.m.
Nick Comstock said:

I must be crazy too because I'd much rather have a C3 than a C5 as long as I'm not headed to a racetrack with it.

Glad I'm not the only one! I agree, the C5 is a much more competent racecar out of the box, but I'm not looking for a racecar. The C3 looks and feels way cooler, whereas the C5 feels like a late 90's GM product. The C5 is dead reliable but that's what makes it boring. The LS is too good, I need some vehicular drama in my life.

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork

Ok this guy also has a c6 z06 and was also dailying his 1500hp turbo 6 speed camaro at the time.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
dculberson said:

In every measurable way they are worse cars. But I still get it. 

This can't be quoted enough. The C5 is better in every way that can be measured. However, a C5 isn't nearly as cool and probably not as fun and for sure doesn't pull chicks like a C3 and a proper application of gold chain. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Reader
1/22/18 6:20 p.m.

I say go for it. I like the looks of the C3 way more and getting rid of all computers is a dream of mine. Been in a C3 and own a C4 and as far as handling there really is no comparison. Rode along in a C5 Z06 on slicks and that flat scared me. Anyway. Do it. Especially of the car in question will add another pedal into the mix. 4 speed FTW.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2pmTmjm4bN2n692WLGwsaSSZOo1HpIzffKuUVC0nRSbJ40TpKJV7lMyUdaNIa0jO