1 2 3
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/5/22 8:40 a.m.
feature_image

Can a decommissioned oval-track car really work for sports car racing? We aim to find out. We just bought one.

First, the influencer on this one: our old pal Jack Higginbotham. In late 2020, he started to share details on his own build, a 1967 Camaro body perched atop an old ASA stock car chassis…

Read the rest of the story

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
1/5/22 9:57 a.m.

This is a really cool project and I'm looking forward to following along. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
1/5/22 9:59 a.m.

Well well well....let the games begin!  This is going to be a fantastic adventure!  Can't wait to read what your research yields on history and details.  Not to mention, which direction you take the project. Superb!  

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/5/22 10:02 a.m.

The transmission looks an aweful lot like a T-10. Does it have a side case access on the left side?

Looking forward to a cool body! 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/5/22 10:23 a.m.

That's a Borg-Warner transmission. 

nocones
nocones UberDork
1/5/22 10:25 a.m.

Really looking forward to seeing information come out of this.  Stuff like weights and how legal the cage is for NASA/SCCA would be great as well as obviously how you make it turn both directions.  

JG Pasterjak
1/5/22 10:43 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:

Not sure what we'd do without the help of dedicated readers like you.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) Dork
1/5/22 10:45 a.m.

Piece on top of the dry sump looks like an oil filter to me:

https://www.obergfilters.com/

Often used in dynos and race cars with remote oil tanks.

iansane
iansane HalfDork
1/5/22 10:52 a.m.

How daily drive-able is this? Who am I kidding, I don't care. I'd attempt it.

JG Pasterjak
1/5/22 11:07 a.m.
iansane said:

How daily drive-able is this? Who am I kidding, I don't care. I'd attempt it.

In Florida? 100%.

102% during Bike Week.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/5/22 11:11 a.m.

How much for that drum throne?

madmrak351
madmrak351 New Reader
1/5/22 11:12 a.m.

That is a good looking start for a great  project. Hope you are well inspired by Mr. Riggins. I have always admired his work. Have Fun! Looking forward to the updates.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/5/22 11:15 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

The double-diamong logo is Richmond Gear, who manufactured the aftermarket "Super T-10" based on GM bolt patterns / case. https://www.richmondgear.com/auto-parts-product/1946-manual-transmission-1304000069/?crt_viaSearch=path%3Apart%3Amanual-trans-assembly

Richmond still manufactures this trans and offers full service for it, as does a number of companies. The T-10 is probably the most customizable manual transmission out there with gearsets for every need for hyper-close ratios for drag racing to really wide ones for salt flats/top speed and everything in between. The linkage is external, and when done right, is one of the best shifting feeling out there, very positive and mechanical.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
1/5/22 11:35 a.m.

I have long contended that old unloved tube frame cars are great way to get a lot of speed for not a lot of dollars. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve New Reader
1/5/22 11:50 a.m.

What fortuitous timing! I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this one, hopefully I can copy some helpful tips for my own circle track -> road course car.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/5/22 11:51 a.m.

Looks like 22 is turning into The Year of the Stock Car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/5/22 12:00 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

How much for that drum throne?

We should jam when you're here in town. 

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
1/5/22 12:11 p.m.

This is of no help what-so-ever but when you race this the number should be 404.  

For more racing tips follow me on I-am-that-clueless.com

And you are going to auto-cross this at least once, right?

Scott

JG Pasterjak
1/5/22 12:15 p.m.
Noddaz said:

And you are going to auto-cross this at least once, right?

Oh yeah probably more than once. It's likely not the best solution for CP (it'll have to run pretty heavy) or EMod (it's waaaay larger than a good EM car, and probably underpowered), but it'll be darn fun in either once in a while.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
1/5/22 12:17 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

And this is funny (to me anyway) because it is not a Borg-Warner transmission.

But it IS based on one.   

TheRyGuy
TheRyGuy New Reader
1/5/22 1:18 p.m.
Flynlow (FS) said:

Piece on top of the dry sump looks like an oil filter to me:

https://www.obergfilters.com/

Often used in dynos and race cars with remote oil tanks.

It is an Oberg oil filter. Take the 4 bolts out on its corners, pop the cover off, and there'll be a fine mesh filter there, allowing you to see bearing trash when your rods are preparing for low earth orbit.

Steven
Steven New Reader
1/5/22 1:38 p.m.

I have one and love it. I started racing production based vehicles and the switch has been awesome much more bang for your buck. Mine started as an ASA car then raced TransAm in the 2010-12 timeframe then I purchased a couple years ago. Here are a couple of pics with the old body and the new one.  I run in NASA 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/5/22 1:40 p.m.
Javelin said:
JG Pasterjak said:

The double-diamong logo is Richmond Gear, who manufactured the aftermarket "Super T-10" based on GM bolt patterns / case. https://www.richmondgear.com/auto-parts-product/1946-manual-transmission-1304000069/?crt_viaSearch=path%3Apart%3Amanual-trans-assembly

Richmond still manufactures this trans and offers full service for it, as does a number of companies. The T-10 is probably the most customizable manual transmission out there with gearsets for every need for hyper-close ratios for drag racing to really wide ones for salt flats/top speed and everything in between. The linkage is external, and when done right, is one of the best shifting feeling out there, very positive and mechanical.

Came here to say this. Interviewed at Richmond a while back, and the chief engineer was interested in not making those anymore.

JG Pasterjak
1/5/22 1:53 p.m.

In reply to Steven :

Is that the ARBodies Camaro shell?

Red5
Red5 New Reader
1/5/22 2:12 p.m.

I seem to recall someone running an open cockpit car like this in the Daytona 24 in the late 70's early 80's?  I cant find any photos...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
U9YgeVNFgIUyiSTiZMSO3CfyLrp9m0IpRFKhQvANhhadr2AQnBRsWMg7NhaNqgQc