NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/12/24 9:47 a.m.

Known in the welding world as "Cheaters" these are basically reading glasses that clip into your welding helmet. 

I don't use reading glasses and have been welding  for 20 years. I never knew I had a problem seeing without them, but once I tried them I was like those people who see or hear stuff for the first time ever. 

They cost like $10 and most helmets have a place to clip them in.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
3/12/24 9:55 a.m.

I might need to look into these.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/12/24 10:17 a.m.

Made a huge difference for me too!

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
3/12/24 10:55 a.m.

Huh. I don't wear glasses but wouldn't mind an advantage in the shop. Might be worth taking a look, particularly as TIG can be tricky! 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/12/24 11:36 a.m.

Yep, I started using one of these a few years ago - it's amazing how much my welds improved!

Kendall Frederick
Kendall Frederick Reader
3/12/24 11:52 a.m.

I'm using them as well, but I do have problems with condensation between the cheater lens and the main lens.  I have been meaning to get some anti fog spray for em.

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
3/12/24 1:54 p.m.

Interesting. I have a couple of pairs of readers kicking around in the garage. I've been meaning to try them under my welding helmet. Has anyone tried that vs. the cheater lens? Gotta check my helmet this evening to see if there's a place for one. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
3/12/24 1:56 p.m.

Make sure you put them on the helmet the right way.  Backwards,  at least for me,  was dizzying.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
3/12/24 3:10 p.m.

I need to look into this.  I'm very nearsighted, but I'm best off removing my glasses when I weld.  Anything inside of 7 to 8" from my nose is nice and sharp.  Anything beyond that is fuzz.  It's hard to weld when you can't see.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
3/12/24 4:18 p.m.

I usually wear full lens cheater safety glasses under the helmet, and that works well for me.  You may need to play with the strength to get the right focus for your welding distance.

pkingham (Forum Supporter)
pkingham (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/12/24 4:33 p.m.

I use standard readers under the helmet.  Sometimes it's hard to get them to stay in place when welding at a strange angle, but otherwise they work well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/13/24 8:14 a.m.

To quote the great Carl Heideman, you can’t weld what you can’t see. Good find. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/13/24 9:37 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

It took me way too long to realize most of my issues with welding were vision related. cool

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/13/24 9:57 a.m.

Definitely something I'll at least try when I start putting together a welding setup.  While I have progressive glasses, I tend to lift them onto my forehead when doing detail work.  My vision is fuzzy from about 12" or farther out, but at around 6" it's clear so the progressive part of the my glasses is mainly for computer work (monitors at about arms length away).  

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/14/24 12:42 p.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Yay to seeing stuff. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/14/24 1:11 p.m.

I started on Reading Safety Glasses a few years ago.  I'm OK welding without them (for now) but I see the day coming.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/24 8:26 p.m.

In reply to Motojunky :

That was my first step to getting the cheaters; proof of concept. The glasses proved the point, but were a PITA to use when doing bodywork where you are constantly going from mask on to mask off. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/24 8:28 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

That is exactly what I thought until I tried the cheaters. I don't need reading glasses to read, but there was a huge difference when looking at the weld puddle. For $10 it  is not much of a gamble to check out.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/14/24 8:30 p.m.

Mine arrived today. I'll weld with them tomorrow. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/14/24 10:27 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

Let us know if they help. 

I have a feeling that there is a more elegant version than the plastic 10 buck version.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
3/15/24 2:42 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

The person who tried to put together the exhaust system under our LX470 seemed to try to prove Carl wrong.

NY Nick
NY Nick SuperDork
3/15/24 3:17 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Amazon fail, the new lense doesn't fit my helmet

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O35dvzoqznf6KQcCQB83MXcxGgfF8X7bpj40kemaylhQt0TwUSEfCfPAl6nkYbHu