http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/21/2014-mazda6-skyactiv-d-wagon/

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/22/13 9:59 a.m.

Damn you all.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
2/22/13 10:00 a.m.

yeah the design language of the new 6 works so damn well on the wagon. That would be the replacement to my TDI Golf if they sold it here.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/22/13 10:02 a.m.

So much jealousness. I'm torn on my next vehicle and I believe I need to wait until the 6 diesel manual comes out before I can ultimately make my decision.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/22/13 10:04 a.m.

Good Lord, I want that car. If that gets released here in wagon form (I know they said they won't) I will be trading in my 3 for it. That's a guarantee, and I will put my money where my mouth is. It looks AMAZING in wagon form!!!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/22/13 10:06 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote: So much jealousness. I'm torn on my next vehicle and I believe I need to wait until the 6 diesel manual comes out before I can ultimately make my decision.

I at least have a wife that welcomes a.) a diesel powered vehicle and b.) manual transmission offering. So, if I just showed up with it, I wouldn't be crucified on the spot. Only problem is she is anti-wagon.

The whole car reminds me of a Japanese Benz. I like it, a lot.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/22/13 10:08 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Hell I would trade my mazda2 and my suburban in for it, I could tow the rx7 with it!

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
2/22/13 10:08 a.m.

Oh, that's nice...A first generation Mazda6 wagon with a manual tranny will probably be in my near future. If they would bring that wagon over, I would be part of the list too.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
2/22/13 10:10 a.m.

You know, it's frustrating that an awesome looking and performing car won't be sold here, but I have a feeling that the price they'd end up putting on it would keep it from selling the volume they'd need to justify it. You know that it'd end up being $30k+ for the diesel wagon, and you'd end up having to special order a stickshift because dealers would refuse to put one on the lots.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
2/22/13 10:12 a.m.

I am in lust.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
2/22/13 10:16 a.m.

Dear god, that is gorgeous. Damn you "average Amercun Consumer"!!!

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork

That was painful to read, knowing Mazda will never sell it in the US.

That car might - just might - be something my Asian-car-hating g/f might approve of... edit: nope... she still hates it..."in the words of Grumpy Cat: No."

Wagon. Manual. Diesel. $26K est. price. No VAG worries... Painful indeed...

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Hell I would trade my mazda2 and my suburban in for it, I could tow the rx7 with it!

Good call, I wonder what the tow rating is...

And remember, the US Skyactiv-D has about 30 more HP/TQ than the European one. I bet this drivetrain finds its way to the CX-5 at the very least.

I drive a lot (30k a year at least) so something that's got insane range, good mileage, and is interesting to drive would most definitely be on my radar.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/22/13 10:20 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote:
fidelity101 wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Hell I would trade my mazda2 and my suburban in for it, I could tow the rx7 with it!
Good call, I wonder what the tow rating is... And remember, the US Skyactiv-D has about 30 more HP/TQ than the European one. I bet this drivetrain finds its way to the CX-5 at the very least. I drive a lot (30k a year at least) so something that's got insane range, good mileage, and is interesting to drive would most definitely be on my radar.

I believe its about 3500lbs which is too heavy for my trailer and car, but flat tow would eliminate the need for a trailer and truck. I know the CX-5 and the 6 share the same platform.

And in reply to ReverendDexter:

Don't care, I'd pay premium for it too but I have S-plan so I get it at invoice :)

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/22/13 10:35 a.m.

At this point, if they offer the CX-5 with this drivetrain, I'd probably buy it. I sat in one at a recent car show, and I found it to be comfortable. It would most likely make a great highway bomber. Not nearly as cool as the wagon though.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
2/22/13 10:46 a.m.

Sweet. Love wagons. I'd go for that in a heartbeat...without the diesel though. Gas engine for me, please.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/22/13 10:50 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

I think the CX5 D wont be out until after the sedan for sometime. But I know you can order the cx5 overseas AWD skyactive D.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/22/13 10:59 a.m.

Wow. Just... Wow.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/22/13 11:01 a.m.

I would put my money where my mouth and trade the 5 in on that tomorrow.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
2/22/13 11:07 a.m.

I like it a lot, and unless there proved to be something very wacky about it when driving (I'm guessing the rear angle visibility is pretty awful, but that's not the end of the world, or at least that doesn't distinguish it from most modern cars), it would save me from the TDI wagon.

The only real styling ding I have is that the arc over the front wheel (not the first one, but the one flowing from above the headlight) makes it look like the car is pinched right in front of the windshield. I don't know whether it looks like that in person, but I keep noticing it in photos.

In any case, I'm mostly just sad. It's the car we want without the VW penalties. I think I'm starting to get over the angst and just waiting to see whether the CX-5 diesel comes out and diverts us from VWland...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Dork
2/22/13 11:20 a.m.

I like wagons in general, but that might be the sexiest one I've yet seen.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/22/13 11:21 a.m.

if VW can sell a jetta and passat wagon.. why can't Mazda bring over the 6 wagon? even if we never see the Diesel.. I think it looks better than most of the other estates on the road today.. and better than most sedans.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/22/13 11:38 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

This wagon is one of the best looking vehicles I have ever seen, period! I think Mazda should do what they do best and stray away from the pack and bring it here, with or without the diesel power. I think they would sell.

I see a ton of VW Jetta TDI Sportwagons every day on my commute. They sell like hotcakes here. They outnumber the gas models about 20:1 around here.

Mazda would do well with this car up here in the Northeast. If the gas model gets over 35mpg (and it should), I can see some people swapping their monster SUV's for these. I also see lots of CX-5's on a daily basis. They are picking up in sales too. Adding the Skyactiv-D would be the icing on the cake.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 HalfDork
2/22/13 1:04 p.m.

Go' dang! That's the most gorgeous vehicle I've seen in a long time.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
2/22/13 1:46 p.m.

Everybody around here knows how I feel about styling trends these days.

I'd buy that car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
977cDdBV7xq79BWTaYKOURNWM7hGAq15l6xpPCxb17gdMPNnRB4S7BBoOPvk3EcA