1 2 3
SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/17/14 1:40 p.m.

Looks like I might be moving to Portland for work after graduation, so the firesale of personal knick-knacks has begun and I am unloading the fleet to get into a wagon of some kind for the potential move. I'm not going to try to bring a mattress or any huge furniture or anything like that (I could buy that when I get there), mostly clothes, electronics, and totally unreplaceable items.

So far the only option that's really caught my eye is the B5 Passat 1.8T wagon. Manuals are relatively common, the cargo capacity is pretty substantial, and the 1.8T should knock back some pretty good mileage on such a trip. I know they don't have the best reputation, but I'd think with a spare set of coils and a fresh timing set it'd get me there just fine. I'd probably consider a B5 A4 Avant 1.8T as well if a decent one showed up.

I've never been a huge VAG fan, though...I've been trying to think of other options and I've been coming up short. The Volvo 850/V70 is a decent option, but manuals are rare as hen's teeth...same goes for the Saab 9-5 wagon, BMW E39 wagon, and virtually anything else I'd consider. 9-3 wagons still fetch big $$$ around here. I've had Subarus aplenty and worry that it would be a pretty uncomfortable ride with disappointing gas mileage if I went that route. Other than those options, we start getting really out there...Benz W124 wagons and what not. I probably COULD tolerate an auto if the rest of the car was just perfect (like, an 850R wagon or something), but a manual is definitely the preference if available.

So, are there any options I didn't think of?

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
1/17/14 1:43 p.m.

How much crap do you need to haul? Do you need a trailer as well? Will you need to fix it in the middle of North Dakota? If the answer is yes there's only one answer:

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/17/14 1:45 p.m.

Dude, you are moving from a rust-belt state to Portland? (Oregon, I assume, not Maine?). Buy the cheapest reliable minivan you can find, haul your personal belongings out there, then ditch it and get something much nicer (and less rusty) when you get to the wet coast...

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
1/17/14 1:45 p.m.

I'm surprised you have had trouble finding manuals in a 9-5 wagon- I see them all the time around here (WA) and was lead to believe they were quite common.

The W124 will almost definitely only be found with an auto, but it would be high on my list, right next to the 9-5.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/17/14 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

Not that much, no, and I sure hope not!

Keep in mind the difference in gas costs between a 20MPG car and a 30MPG car on a trip this long is in the hundreds of dollars.

In reply to eastsidemav:

Anything I buy here would be new enough for me not to care...stuff doesn't rust like it used to. When I get out there, though, you bet your ass I'll pick up a rust-free treasure in a heartbeat! And, yes, Portland, OR.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
1/17/14 1:53 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: If the answer is yes there's only one answer:

Agreed.

Milwaukee to Portland OR is about 2060 miles.

A B-body wagon if you need the capacity should net ~20mpg on the highway and haul lots of your E36 M3.

You can find a nice one way under budget, and fuel should cost less than $350 for the trip (20mpg @ $3.40/gal)

It may not be the vehicle you end up keeping once you're there, but it'll likely get you there, parts are in every junkyard, and every mechanic knows how to work on them.

Contrarily getting something like a 1.8T wagon you're putting in premium fuel and hoping for high 20's mpg's. Figure a 20 cent premium and even 30mpg, the same trip costs maybe $250. So you only save ~$100 in fuel, but your entry point saves you LOTS more than that.

Beyond that, get there, then go shopping for sweet sweet rust free non rustbelt goodness.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/17/14 1:55 p.m.

In reply to xflowgolf:

B-bodies are virtually non-existent in the rust belt, the ones that do are astronomically priced thanks to "donk" culture, and there is usually lots of gunfire and armed robbery in the neighborhoods one must go to even find one of the clapped-out POS'es. Plus, the seats in those things kill me (big deal on a 1k+ mi trip).

I can find nicer, cheaper 1.8T Passats than B-bodies on the local CLs, if that tells you anything...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
1/17/14 1:57 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy:

Just re-read my post, sorry if I sounded a little pushy. I think you are a lot better at hunting late-model deals than I am. Just worried you may have a hard time finding what you want on a fixed timetable.

I'd still suggest minvan as a backup plan. Should be able to hit 25 MPG on the highway, hold tons of stuff, and pretty much blend in with everything else on the road during the trip.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
1/17/14 1:59 p.m.

This guy said he would take it cross country if he had to...

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4288966759.html

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/17/14 2:03 p.m.

Extended cab truck, 2WD, with 4-cylinder, manual and a cap on the back. Choose the best S10, B2000, Toyota, Ranger or Nissan you can find for the budget. Loaded up, it will ride fine for the trip. It will be decent on the mileage and haul a ton of stuff. When you get there, it will haul all of the furniture you need for a new place, then you sell it or keep it as a spare for Lowes runs or hauling the Star Bolt around.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/17/14 2:04 p.m.

Oh, don't forget to buy Star Bolt when you get there. I hear it's always good riding weather in Portland!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/17/14 2:06 p.m.

Keep in mind that cars are much nicer here on the west coast. Finding manual trans wagons is not as difficult either since there are more car enthusiasts out here. And they won't be rusted underneath.

Any reason why renting a UHaul is not an option? You could buy a keeper once you get out here.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/17/14 2:23 p.m.

Its not $4k, but its a reliable wagon that gets good mileage. You can use the remaining $2700 + saved gas money to buy a decent rust-free car once you arrive.

http://racine.craigslist.org/cto/4264628365.html

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
1/17/14 2:31 p.m.

How about a Saturn SW2?

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/17/14 2:43 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve:

Not a bad idea, I'll keep that in mind...and the bike does look sweet!

In reply to amg_rx7:

I used to work for U-Haul and after seeing the way those trucks are maintained (and a few pretty serious accidents) I've sworn off rental equipment for anything other than in-town jaunts. Plus, I just don't have that much stuff.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

To be honest, I hadn't thought of that and don't mind the idea, though I wonder if it'd be a little on the small side...same thing that has me questioning the Jetta wagons.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
1/17/14 3:00 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: In reply to pinchvalve: Not a bad idea, I'll keep that in mind...and the bike does look sweet! In reply to amg_rx7: I used to work for U-Haul and after seeing the way those trucks are maintained (and a few pretty serious accidents) I've sworn off rental equipment for anything other than in-town jaunts. Plus, I just don't have that much stuff. In reply to MadScientistMatt: To be honest, I hadn't thought of that and don't mind the idea, though I wonder if it'd be a little on the small side...same thing that has me questioning the Jetta wagons.

Go check out the one I just posted. They look small, but the interior isn't nearly as "bulky" as some of the other cars brought up. You can still stuff a fairly impressive amount of stuff in one.

rcutclif
rcutclif New Reader
1/17/14 3:12 p.m.

hey, I'm moving out of MKE right now too (but just going to chicago...) sure am going to miss those $2 taco thursdays.

Might want to check out early focus wagons. not the zx5 the actual wagon one. You can get manual no problem, great space inside, and handle quite sporty. Add SVT wheels/mirrors/bumpers and it doesn't look half bad either.

This one is a bit pricy (is this serious? its a focus and its 10 years old...) but it looks good. http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4261028291.html

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
1/17/14 3:23 p.m.

I was about to suggest the Focus wagon as well but not sure if they had manual trans. I definitely like the ZX5 that rcutclif suggested for a DD. Here is a nice looking ZX5 with a manual trans: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/4273789394.html

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/17/14 3:25 p.m.

Focus wagon is another good suggestion. I do love the ZX5 but that little bit of extra capacity in the wagon would probably help quite a bit. I think I've seen a few manual ZTWs around before, they don't seem to go for much.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/14 3:28 p.m.

Having owned small wagons and big wagons, there is a definite difference. Basically, my Impreza wagon would have fit inside my Pontiac. I'd second the extra-long minivan. Load it up, move, and then kick it free.

coldaudio
coldaudio New Reader
1/17/14 3:29 p.m.

Do you NEED a wagon? How much stuff do you actually have to bring? What are you driving now?

I loaded up my Honda Civic for my move from NY to Denver... whatever didn't fit, I didn't need! You'd be surprised how much can fit. I was able to bring all of my clothes, my TV and Xbox 360, and all of my kitchen stuff (plates, utensils, pots and pans). Just be careful not to fall into the same trap of loading up on crap you don't need when you get there.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
1/17/14 3:38 p.m.

Protege5

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
1/17/14 3:40 p.m.

U-haul it out there and buy this wagon upon arrival

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4292047883.html

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
1/17/14 3:42 p.m.

FWIW I drove from Stamford Conneticut to Bay Area Cali in a 3 people and their stuff loaded 1995 High Pressure Turbo Volvo 850 wagon and averaged 23.8 mpg going 70-80 most of the way with a few long 80-90 stretches in the open west. The seats were and are still amazingly comfortable.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
1/17/14 3:44 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: U-haul it out there and buy this wagon upon arrival http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4292047883.html

I don't have enough to fill a U-Haul and the whole idea of buying a wagon is to move with it? Once I'm out there with my crap, the utility becomes far less necessary.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
81d6RbY4rPNGMxtdVwE5y6NV2Ss5O2cpn9rMHOavdU05sapO7RWa3wTBmdbdr9Br