1 2 3
Autolex
Autolex HalfDork
9/23/11 10:19 a.m.

another +1 for the fit... Hyundai Sonata is ~$20k sticker NEW... you may be able to finagle a <$18k price... they are AMAZING cars for the cash!

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/23/11 10:37 a.m.

Oh, and FWIW, I beat the dealer down to $16,900 for a fit sport manual. Pretty sure that's about as good as it gets. I don't think the dealers make much on the fits.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
9/23/11 10:40 a.m.

I'm in for the Mazda 2 camp. I'd say wait for a Skyg mazda 3, but they've been delayed again, and I guaratee with the buzz around em,they'll go for sticker for too long before you can get into one.

Raze
Raze Dork
9/23/11 11:24 a.m.

You guys are all thinking of lame cars, try something 'sporting'

I know it doesn't meet the 'new' or 'efficient' criteria, but since everyone else is breaking your rules, I figure I'd at least give you a final temptation before buying another snore mobile...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
9/23/11 11:29 a.m.

What about the Kizashi?

nderwater
nderwater Dork
9/23/11 11:32 a.m.

Another alternative perspective - when our E39 family car eventually gives up the ghost, we'll likely replace it with an off-lease Passat wagon or Jetta TDI wagon.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/23/11 12:13 p.m.

I'm liking the list so far, but anyone want to extol the virtues of their choice? I really need to start the process of elimination already.

BTW, we're not overly concerned about the depreciation thing, mainly because we typically keep cars to the point that the effects of depreciation really bother most folks. I think whatever we buy will end up being our kids first car, and that means 9-10 years. That's one of the reasons the Veloster is looking attractive... 10 years, 100k mile warranty. But we'd probably get an extended warranty for whatever we buy... the extended warranties we've bought in the past have more than paid for themselves. We've still got 6 years and 70k miles left on the HondaCare extended warranty on our minivan.

BTW, I have to say that I've been surprised by the lack of depreciation our last two new cars had... our 4+ year old '03 Corolla only lost $6k when we traded it in, and the based on the current trade in value, the depreciations on our 4+ year old Odyssey is only about $6k as well.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
9/23/11 12:48 p.m.

Extol the virtues? OK, here goes:

My wife's DD is a Honda Fit. No, I won't lie and say we use it to transport our 3 kids all the time. Like you, we have a minivan. But on more than one occassion, we've transported at least two of them. No issues whatsoever with room. She's also transported her friends and they all were surprised how much space they had. She also uses it to go to the warehouse grocery store (Costco). We have a family of 6 (our kids and a live in nanny), and she piles weeks worth of food into it easily.

Ours is a 5spd. We measure every tank of gas. On a bad tank, we'll get 36mpg. We live in the suburbs. A lot of her driving is suburban roads. So it's not highway, has traffic lights here and there. When I drive the car, I'll get 40-42mpg. My commute is mostly country road.

As far as being fun to drive, well, it certainly isn't fast. After all, the engine is smaller than a lot of motorcycles. So you won't win stop light races or set FTD at autox. But it's extremely nimble. It's a lot of fun on a twisty road. Steering response is lightning quick. It has some body roll, but it's not a full out sports car. Brakes are real strong too.

Oh...and it's a Honda. We bought it used, it had 11k miles when we got it. Now at 40k, with not a single hiccup.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/23/11 12:52 p.m.

I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this car shopping thing right now... too many options, a lot of them are either brand new or significantly redesigned for 2012, and there isn't enough data on any of them yet. Bad timing I guess. Maybe I'll convince the missus to bide out time a bit... drive the Impala until it frags seriously and then buy.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
9/23/11 12:55 p.m.

That $18k cap really puts a hurt on things if you insist on new.

I actually do like driving our Mazda5, and I can imagine the same chassis with a lower COG, stiffer springs, less weight, and stickshift (i.e. Mazda3) would be downright pleasant. Don't think you're gonna see a combined 28mpg out of it though, at least not driving it like you're having any fun.

The GRM review of the Mazda2 seemed rather positive.

I'd probably be looking in Hyundai's direction, though. Probably could get a screamin' deal on one of the "current" generation Accents (as opposed to the shiny new ones that are already on lots), and if that's not enough go you could look at one of their turbo sedans (Sonata?). Only issue I have is outside of the Genesis Coupe, Hyundai seems to refuse to pair turbos and manual transmissions.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
9/23/11 1:03 p.m.

Hyundai Elantra Touring.

Big as a small SUV inside. Huge back seat legroom. Sport suspension (30% stiffer than pervious generation sedan, with bigger RSB), B&M shifter, great brakes...pretty fun all-around...17x7 wheels (big autocross tires for HS) and comulative 28.4mpg.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Reader
9/23/11 1:08 p.m.

Here's a new one. Suzuki SX4 Sportback. I have not driven one but I will look at it for my next purchase. FWD with 150hp, 6spd, disc brakes.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
9/23/11 1:25 p.m.
GTwannaB wrote: Here's a new one. Suzuki SX4 Sportback. I have not driven one but I will look at it for my next purchase. FWD with 150hp, 6spd, disc brakes.

The Hyundai's are much better bang for the buck IMO. The SX4 is full of fail even though I want to love it

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
9/23/11 2:14 p.m.

I would say a Hyundai of some kind, Fit, Fiesta or Mazda 2 and then go test drive and see which one you like.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/23/11 2:27 p.m.
Steering response is lightning quick.

To the point where when I get in my Integra, it feels like I'm at the helm of the berkeleying queen mary. True story.

gunner
gunner New Reader
9/23/11 9:05 p.m.

On Suzuki's- unless they have changed radically, do not even look at them. Their build quality is horrible. think big 3 in the 70's bad. parts fall off, cars just stop suddenly. if you are keeping it long term it's a BAD idea. That stinks because I really like their styling. Long term think Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia. Hondas hold their value the very best. Toyota is next, but Newer Hyundai/Kia's are starting to as well. That factory warranty really upped their build quality. Mazda builds a good car and they hold their value pretty well. especially the performance versions. You want the pick of the decade? find an 80's model 5 series or 7 series BMW with a manual tranny. Cheap to buy, cheap to fix (except for M5 model), reliable as heck, and are the last BMW's to not use mostly plastic in the cooling systems. If you decide to go not new anyway. (before I bought my 88 M5, I found a 735i with a 5 speed for under 7 grand that was nearly perfect. I just didn't move fast enough.) sorry I digress and this is not what you're looking for anyway. Just my recommendation. good luck with your search. I love shopping for cars.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/27/11 12:25 a.m.

Hmmm... we're still looking. It really is a bit overwhelming, especially since pricing cars through USAA's car buying service, there are a ton of cars that surprisingly fall in at or below our $18k limit. Sure, there's all the usual suspects, but others include the Corolla and Camry, Jetta and Golf, Civic and Accord, Sonata, Mazda6, Imprezza and Legacy, Galant, Sonata, Chrysler 200 and Dodge Avenger. And it doesn't help that so many meet our 28mpg combined requirement too. Need to do more homework and start test driving.

Alfa105_BMWE30
Alfa105_BMWE30 New Reader
9/27/11 2:10 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha: My wife and I are currently in the market with the same basic search criteria you have. It's going to be her around-town driver when she doesn't need to carry more than 2 of the 6 grandkids from newborn to 5 years old, where grandkid care is a daily thing and just the combination of them changes. So has to have a usable backseat and she insists on new (if we could find a very low miles hatchback manual transmission Mazda3 for the same price as a Mazda2 or nearly so, we'd certainly prefer the extra size and more solid build quality). We want to go as inexpensive as possible and get great gas mileage since her other driver is a Toyota Highlander with a 3rd row seat for up to 5 grandkids (at least that gets >20 mpg on the highway which is much better than her previous GMC Envoy).

So, the final contenders were the Mazda2 and Veloster, both with manual transmissions--glad we can make it a somewhat fun car as well. The Fit was ruled out because my wife hates the mini-minivan styling so doesn't matter how good it is otherwise (and she loves Hondas) when she's had minivans in the past and doesn't want to go back to that look. The Fiesta was ruled out because it's the same platform as the Mazda2 and she both prefers the Mazda2 looks (esp. in the green), the fact Mazda2's aren't optioned up as much with stuff like sync we don't care about, and most importantly for me at least, the Mazda2 is the better driver's car (steering, transmission, handling). The concession to not being an all-out base model is that she wants the touring model Mazda2 instead of the sport so she has the alloy wheels, rear spoiler, fog lights, cruise control, leather steering wheel, etc.

The Veloster mostly ruled itself out because you can't find them without at least one of the two option packes at $2K each in combination with a manual transmission and the color she wants (surprise: green). The other disadvantage with the Veloster is the backseat is both smaller and less accessible than the Mazda2. But, she loves the looks/style and uniqueness (at least for a few months before they start showing up on roads) of the Veloster and if she was willing to wait a few months, I'm sure we'd start seeing some at the base $18K price instead of all $20K+. From my point of view, I would be all over the Veloster if it was a reincarnated CR-X with a backseat, but it's not at least not in current form (referring to the handling--not really concerned with the fact that it is down on power vs. the majority of sporty cars these days). With 0% financing for a few more days on the Mazda2, we will likely be grabbing a 2011 model.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
9/27/11 2:27 p.m.

The new Kia Rio is due out this fall sometime I believe, its identical to the new Accent underneath, and imo looks much nicer inside and out. It should be cheaper than the Veloster, and I believe it shares the same drivetrain options. Also has 4 doors instead of 3.

The Kia Soul has been refreshed for 2012 with all new drivetrain options as well (and jacked the price up accordingly) so we are going to be looking at leftover 2011's soon to see what kind of deal we can get.

Alfa105_BMWE30
9/27/11 3:11 p.m.

The new Accent hatchback looks like a great car and I'm sure the Rio will be as well. I did an inventory search for Accents around the entire pacific northwest where we are and none are currently to be found with manual transmissions (I can't even get enthusiastic over these new tech DCT automatics in what should be a tossable little car). So that's a big fail because I'll be looking quite bad to the wife if I let the 0% financing on the Mazda2 expire and it isn't renewed for October (seems like it definitely should be, but they won't announce it of course until October). Plus, the Mazda2 I'm pretty certain is the more fun car to drive even over the Veloster and since the extra backseat and cargo room of an accent/elantra/Mazda3 is really just gravy, it seems to make the most sense for our specific needs.

Oh, forgot to mention we did consider the Fiat 500. But since our nearest dealer is 200 miles away, we thought better of it. Had we been near a dealer, it would have been a very attractive option given its style. Being a 2-door makes it suboptimal for loading babies in, but sometimes you just have to make a few concessions in the name of expressing yourself automotively. I'm an Alfa guy so I have no problem with the concept of a Fiat given their past reputation in the U.S. But, being hours from a dealer with such a unique car feels like asking for problems from the Italian car gods.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/27/11 3:32 p.m.

Mazda 2--- more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow--- I've spent many miles in Tom's and it rocks, I friggin love that car! Great shifter, steering, pedal placement--- a real driver's car masquerading as a economy E36 M3box. It even rotates when you throw it around! Not lots of power, but all the more reason to shift at 7000 rpm!

Fit--- Incredibly practical and a fun handler around town, and on secondary roads. Unfortunately the quick steering, and firm ride makes for a very nervous car on the highway. If you have much interstate travel planned there are many better choices.

New Accent--- I haven't driven one yet, but spoke with a good friend in the auto industry (who I have a TON of respect for) and he says the new car is absolutely amazing. May be worth the short wait.

Focus---- Nice if you can find one for the $$$

just my .02

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/27/11 3:39 p.m.

Thanks for the feedback. I stopped by the Ford dealer today just to get a sense of size. It was immediately apparent that the Fiesta will not be big enough in the driver's side rear seat with the driver's seat adjusted to a comfortable position for me (I'm 5'11" and 350 lbs.). My 4 year old's legs would be cramped, and he's only bound to get bigger as he gets older. Otherwise I rather liked it a lot.

The Focus on the other hand seems just right, both front and rear. I liked the hatch better, but the sedan's trunk is almost too big. But with combined mileage rated at 31mpg, it would still do the job nicely... and I do rather like the look of the Focus.

Ultimately, what that tells me is that unless the Mazda2 has a different interior seating design, it will likely be too small as well. But the Mazda3, Elantra, etc. should be plenty viable. I read somewhere that the Veloster is more of Elantra than Accent in terms of chassis, but I'll have to saddle up in it to know if it'll fit us. Maybe we'll give that a try tomorrow.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
9/27/11 3:42 p.m.

FYI - You can get the Focus 5-door hatch base in a "Sport Package" with rear disc brakes, the good wheels/tires, and some other bits for very cheap.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
9/27/11 3:44 p.m.
Javelin wrote: FYI - You can get the Focus 5-door hatch base in a "Sport Package" with rear disc brakes, the good wheels/tires, and some other bits for very cheap.

Tell me more... what options do I choose? how cheap?

Alfa105_BMWE30
9/27/11 4:20 p.m.
darkbuddha wrote:
Javelin wrote: FYI - You can get the Focus 5-door hatch base in a "Sport Package" with rear disc brakes, the good wheels/tires, and some other bits for very cheap.
Tell me more... what options do I choose? how cheap?

Looks to me like you have to add the 201A convenience package for $395 to be able to select the sport package, which itself is $695. Add in $795 for shipping to the $18,200 base price for the SE hatch and the grand total MSRP is $20,085. Maybe with some combination of discounts and haggling, it could be had for $18K? Sharp looking car for sure.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o1hrjuLmUfvUyF8cTbogFSkjyuXkh1skclSLlGzLdw1ylTiF1acgU4NmbpTgxeim