1 2 3
engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/2/21 10:03 a.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

I tried to pm you but it didn't work, I've got an 11 gx460 with 88k on it  for sale. Its got ridiculously bright 40" led bar k&n air and cabin, fresh fluids all around and thule rack. It's a unique package in that its loaded, with Mark Levinson audio, nav, rear entertainment, all the fixuns, park district, 4zone, heated (even in rear)and cooled,  but no air suspension. I've never seen another like that. Special order was what the previous owner told me, avoiding problematic air suspension. 
$ 22 if it was someone on here, in this market I think I could get $24 if I wanted to deal with the strangers. 

That is a great price! Not sure why the PM didn't work, I've had it work before?

I think we're sold on the Porsche or VW, but there's gotta be another GRM'er who wants this GX.

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UberDork
5/2/21 11:02 a.m.

Yeah, got a mailor damon notice or whatever. Thanks. Good luck with your search! 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/2/21 4:47 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:

Yeah, got a mailor damon notice or whatever. Thanks. Good luck with your search! 

You should make a FS post on the Cars For Sale section, it will sell fast in this market to a GRM'er.

crxmike
crxmike Reader
5/7/21 1:09 p.m.

As someone looking to replace a 2004 v8 4runner and gx460 being in my list of possible replacements, this thread hits close to home. Did you end up getting the Cayenne?

I do like the smaller size of gx, cayenne, jeep grand Cherokee... But know the longer wheelbase of sequoia or tundra will tow better. But I'm more likely to need to fit into a parking garage than tow every week. Decisions decisions. 

MrChaos
MrChaos UltraDork
5/7/21 1:39 p.m.

In reply to crxmike :

GX only has a 6200lb? tow rating iirc

crxmike
crxmike Reader
5/7/21 1:42 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Yeah, 6200# would be sufficient for my lighter econotrailer and the smaller cars I usually tow. Up to now I've towed with a gmt800 gmc Yukon xl and the aforementioned 4runner. I miss the wheelbase of the gmc but like the low maintenance of the Toyota. 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/7/21 2:16 p.m.

I have fairly light cars, miata and eagle talon, that would be max size for vehicle towing.  UHaul trailer is 2200lb, Miata about 2200lb, so 4400 typical weight?  I won't be towing that often, so that's why I'm looking at Cayenne/GX type vehicles.  Heavier towing would definitely push more towards a Sequoia or LX for sure.

I did not end up buying that Cayenne, sadly. I had a local shop do a PPI and they found it had leaking valve cover gaskets and oil filter housing.  Aaand the oil drain plug is still leaking, it's likely they stripped the threads when they cracked the plug.

Called the Porsche dealer and they found this VIN did get the 100k extended warranty that would cover that, BUT with 99,100miles not much time left for those fixes.  I decided to walk since the Dealer was firm on the price, $24,500, and I can get a much better rate on a 2014+ vehicle.  The search continues!

I'll likely start looking for a Touareg, a bit cheaper, since a 2014+ Cayenne quickly approaches $30k.  But that Porsche interior has spoild me for life, such a nice place to be.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/21 2:52 p.m.

PenFed 2.39% for 3 year and 2.59% for 5 year.

No vehicle age requirement 

Must have less than 125k miles the day you buy. 

Will lend up to 110% of NADA value 

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/8/21 9:20 a.m.
John Welsh said:

PenFed 2.39% for 3 year and 2.59% for 5 year.

No vehicle age requirement 

Must have less than 125k miles the day you buy. 

Will lend up to 110% of NADA value 

Very appealing!  I've avoided financing in the past, but do most credit-union loans do interest on simple or pre-computed? Meaning, can you pay-off the loan at any point and interest is adjusted (simple), or is interest fixed at beginning of the loan and can't be adjusted with paying off the loan early (precomputed)?  I will call my CU and that CU.

Checking into that Cayenne again, it might not be a bad deal at that rate and if the warranty fixes the leaking parts.

Tourages seems to be fairly plentiful under $25k, and have a 10yr/100k base warranty.  And, the wheel bolt pattern has a LOT more aftermarket choices (namely, OZ racing rally...), and EuroWise seems to offer more offroad aftermarket parts for touaregs. I guess it boils down to: Porsche for spaceship interior and tighter on road feel, or Touareg for more "truckness" and offroad support.

https://shop.eurowise.com/category-s/342.htm

This one is even brown, which totally fits the brown-diesel-wagon idealized internet car model (just missing the manual part).  

BROWN DIESEL WAGON

Otherwise, we're looking at closer to $30k for anything in this category that has <100k miles.  The refreshed Q7 looks like a real deal at that price range, lots of 2017-2018 for around $30k.  But at that price point, lots of other options emerge, really trying to keep this under $25k.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/12/21 6:59 a.m.

Thanks John for the great tip on PenFed, I didnt end up using them but was able to leverage their rate and get the same through the dealership (Bank of America ultimately).  

We ended up back to the '13 Cayenne after considering a lot of other options.  The Macan S came up in my mind as a pretty compelling alternative, mini-cayenne if you will.  They're easy to find around $30k with <75k miles in the S trim with the 3.0 Turbo and 7 speed "PDK" (more similar to the audi/VW DSG than a true PDK).  Obviously not as a good of a tow-rig (4400lb tow capacity) or offroader (staggered 19" tire sizes), but it might fit someone else's needs perfectly!  We may come back to the Macan in a few years when we're bored of the Cayenne.

We knew this vehicle had some issues, but a lot of benefits that were hard to overlook: CA/TX origin car with no rust, emissions recall performed quite late (warranty until feb 2023 and 25k more miles), decent options (did NOT want panoramic sunroof or air suspension due to issues), and we were able to drive in person and get PPI performed (at least the issues are known).  Many of the other cayenne diesels we found were out of state, and we wouldn't have been able to look over as thoroughly.

Parked side by side with the Pathfinder V8 it's replacing, quite the difference.  The biggest thing you notice is the height from the rear, the Cayenne is just that much lower.  The pathfinder is definitely more fun in a different way, more tossable and V8 noises, it feels like a trophy truck where the Cayenne feels like a big rally car.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/12/21 7:04 a.m.

Next steps are getting it to the dealer for service fixes under warranty, one of those being the transfer case. These are notorious for transfer case issues, there was a service campaign to replace if there are enough symptoms which this does show (shudder at low speed in 2 or 3 gear, clicking at low speed).  Porsche also changed the transfer case fluid at some point.  

After that, tire upgrades are in order.  Unfortunately, the 958 Gen2 Cayenne doesnt have nearly as much space for larger tires than the Gen 1.  Options are to keep stock tire size 255/55r18 with an AT tire, or step up to 265/60R18 and deal with some rubbing issues (and worse handling on road).

These folks do just fine on the stock sized 255/55R18 tires with a decent AT, all over the country including Alaska Alcan 5000.  They do have the air suspension option though:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/968788-meet-otis.html

On the more extreme end, Emotion Engineering has been doing builds with the 958 and custom KW suspension (only available through them if you do a custom build order).  The other option is 2" lift spacers.  This really opens the options up to larger tires, 265/65R18 is about the most that can be stuffed in.

https://expeditionportal.com/overlanding-needs-more-e-motion-porsche-cayenne/

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/12/21 7:51 a.m.

Well, that was fast. WildPeak AT3/W on order in 265/60r18.  Too good of a deal to pass up through Walmart, free shipping and free returns to any store.  I have a few friends with tire mounters, we'll do a test fit with one wheel and see how it looks. If it's not good, pull it off and return the batch, no harm done, and go back to 255/55r18 size.

Now, the question is: Braid wheels or OEM wheels?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/12/21 8:14 a.m.

I took out a loan just once with PenFed (ar 1.99%) and it was a great expereince.  I then also used PenFed another time as similar leverage to get a better rate from the dealership.  

Falken Tires:  I have had great luck with Falken.  I run them on my fleet of Prius.  My go-to place for tires is TireBuyer and I checked, in your size their price is currently $228 each but with $120 instantly off 4 (or $30 each) the net is $198 each.  This is instant too, not rebate.  Shipping to home is free and everything comes with 2 yr road hazard included.  

I think the site offers 5 or 10% off your first order too if you sign up for their emails.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/12/21 8:17 a.m.
John Welsh said:

I took out a loan just once with PenFed (ar 1.99%) and it was a great expereince.  I then also used PenFed another time as similar leverage to get a better rate from the dealership.  

Falken Tires:  I have had great luck with Falken.  I run them on my fleet of Prius.  My go-to place for tires is TireBuyer and I checked, in your size their price is currently $228 each but with $120 instantly off 4 (or $30 each) the net is $198 each.  This is instant too, not rebate.  Shipping to home is free and everything comes with 2 yr road hazard included.  

That is a good price, somehow found a deal on Walmart.com thru a 3rd party seller (Walmart sells stuff like Amazon) but still honored with free shipping and free returns to Walmart store.  $174/tire free shipping, couldn't beat that.  Now they're showing as $212 a tire:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Falken-Wildpeak-AT3W-265-60R18-Tire/54383756

I ordered the tires on our Gen1 Montero through Walmart as well, somehow Walmart is the only place I can find this exact tire (Cooper Discoverer AT vanilla model) and it's only $75 a tire, unreal!  They've been fantastic so far, on highway and trails, perfect for older rigs with smaller tires.  Free shipping right to our door.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cooper-Discoverer-A-T-All-Season-235-75R15-105T-Tire/373581786

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/12/21 8:23 a.m.

$174 rocks!  Check the code dates.  My guess is that 3rd party wanted to move out some old stock.  Or, they are drop shipping them and needed to increase their volume at sacrifice of profit.  

Either way, they wont be that old and a $25 to $50 saving per tire (TRack is $222) is a killer deal.  

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/12/21 8:42 a.m.
John Welsh said:

$174 rocks!  Check the code dates.  My guess is that 3rd party wanted to move out some old stock.  Or, they are drop shipping them and needed to increase their volume at sacrifice of profit.  

Either way, they wont be that old and a $25 to $50 saving per tire (TRack is $222) is a killer deal.  

Good call! If they're really old, I can return straight away to any Walmart.

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
5/19/21 7:14 a.m.

I made a build thread for the fancy softroader here, this thread is dead since we did end up answering the "What Car" question

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/project-winecheese-cayenne-diesel-overland/183736/page1/#post3263609

judemelson
judemelson New Reader
7/22/21 1:21 a.m.

I would actually prefer the lexus. It can tow 8k and I'll also enjoy the luxury features. Then I can always get customized tools to repair it from https://www.roguefab.com/

engiekev
engiekev HalfDork
7/24/21 4:57 p.m.

Does roguefab also sell canoes?

judemelson
judemelson New Reader
7/28/21 12:29 a.m.

In reply to engiekev :

No, they only make customized tools

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners