1 2
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/12/19 10:46 a.m.

Looking at our first new car purchase (wife would like to own something new).  We began where I'm moderately comfortable - Toyota.    We have looked at, and sat in a Corolla hatchback, we have not yet driven anything.

Before you begin - no Euro cars.  It must be automatic.  It must be dog friendly.  IT MUST NOT BE BORING!!  While I'm not opposed to CUVs, I'm not a fan.  We don't go off road.   

What else should we look at?  Price point $25k, or less

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/12/19 10:49 a.m.

If you can stomach 4k more there’s a dealer in MD selling 2019 new scat pack chargers for 29.  How would your wife and dogs like a 485hp sedan?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
8/12/19 10:51 a.m.
Patrick said:

If you can stomach 4k more there’s a dealer in MD selling 2019 new scat pack chargers for 29.  How would your wife and dogs like a 485hp sedan?

For the win.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
8/12/19 10:51 a.m.

I would think that the Mazda 3 would be something you should at least sit in.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
8/12/19 10:53 a.m.
Patrick said:

If they don't like that, then you need a new wife and dogs cheeky

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/19 10:55 a.m.

Mazda 3, Subaru Crosstrek, Honda Fit, would likely be the other vehicle I'd be shopping with those requirements/price point. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/12/19 10:55 a.m.

I am in the same boat, and a Corolla hatch, Mazda 3 and Fit are the only new cars on the radar with a hatch.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
8/12/19 10:56 a.m.

Came here to say Honda Fit, but after further reading I vote Charger scat pack.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/12/19 11:06 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I would think that the Mazda 3 would be something you should at least sit in.

THIS ^^^^.  The Mazda3 is so much a less boring car that Corolla.  I admit that I have not driven the new version of the Corolla hatch, but we test drove the previous version (2018 model) and it was just a lifeless, soul-sucking penalty box in what is supposed to be a jazzy wrapper.  It drove terribly - a midline Cruze felt sportier by far, which should tell you something.  If you're typing IT MUST NOT BE BORING in all caps, I bet you are going to hate the CVT / engine combo in that Corolla.  Reminder, this was my impression of the previous generation, so of course drive a new one and decide for yourselves.

I don't know about the upcharge, but the new Mazda3 is also available in AWD format, if that is interesting.  FWD is still the primary version, though.  But the drive experience should be much much more interesting than the Corolla.   The Mazda3 looks exponentially better, too, but since styling is 110% subjective, that's only true if you think it's true.

Fletch1
Fletch1 Dork
8/12/19 11:16 a.m.

Civic Sport Hatchback

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/12/19 11:18 a.m.

I’m going to get ripped for this, but I don’t see how anyone can tether themselves to a Toyota. I mean, when I cut that check (or see the deduction from my account), I’d be soo ticked off that I’m paying money, REAL money for a Toyota....EVERY MONTH....ON PURPOSE!  

There are soo many other cars, both new and 2-year used cars I’d buy before a Toyota. 

Sorry, but my opinion. That Scat Pack would be HIGH on my list. 

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
8/12/19 11:19 a.m.

There really isn't much in that realm anymore because they don't make much money off of them compared to a CUV/SUV. 

This is partially why Ford killed the Focus (their legal issues around the automatic in them didn't help) and others are starting to drop their small hatches/sedans or decontent them to essentially rental fodder.

The Mazda 3 is a clear winner, the Fit is as well.  The Corolla is and has been pretty boring, though once Scion died, I'd have thought they would have brought over some of the fun the Scion offering had.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/12/19 11:23 a.m.
Patrick said:

Cheebus.  I'm glad I didn't see this last month.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/12/19 11:25 a.m.

Definitely the Mazda 3 and Civic Sport (if you can stomach the looks) need to be driven.

I’ve also heard good things about the Elantra N-line or whatever they call it. Not sure I’d pay 25k money for a Hyundai. I am not quite down with them still, which is probably not fair.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
8/12/19 11:46 a.m.

The local Kia place is advertising Souls for $16k. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
8/12/19 11:52 a.m.

Hyundai Veloster, Elantra GT

I know you said no Euro, but honestly the Golf/GTIs in the modern era are really, really good.  And you can get the big warranty on them if you get a 2019- it's still 6 years 72K until next year.

Also you posted a hatchback, so that's what others have gravitated towards, but what is your preference for body style?

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
8/12/19 12:00 p.m.

C&D just did an article in their last issue comparing exactly what you're looking for.  The results came out as follows:

1. Honda Civic Sport
  2. Mazda 3 Premium
  3. Hyundai Elantra N-Line
  4. Volkswagen Golf
  5. Toyota Corolla Hatch

If only Mazda hadn't cheaped out with their latest generation and reverted to a beam axle in the rear, it would have won by a mile.  I'd actually prefer a 2018 with the independent rear.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
8/12/19 12:28 p.m.

Rereading your first post. The fact that you must have an auto moves the Mazda into the best bet here. It doesn’t have a CVT like the Civic, which is a huge plus in my opinion.

And the Mazda autos are quite good in my opinion, especially in sport mode. 

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
8/12/19 3:54 p.m.

The Hyundai Veloster N is not available with two pedals, but the Veloster Turbo is. I just had a V-N for a week-long press loan and you NEED to go drive one. I would assume the Turbo is a slightly slower version of this great little chassis.

https://outmotorsports.com/2019/08/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-review/

miatafan
miatafan New Reader
8/12/19 6:57 p.m.

The Elantra GT N Line has an optional 7 speed DCT.  https://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra-gt/index.aspx 

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
8/12/19 7:40 p.m.

Mazda 3!

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
8/12/19 8:09 p.m.

I know it falls under "Euro" cars but the newer Golf Sportwagen and Alltrack are really nice. The Sportwagen can be had for about $20k and the Alltrack for about $23-25k.

Here is a brand new 2019 Alltrack in green with the sweet brown interior:

2019 Golf Alltrack

This is the color combo I would buy if I was in the market. I'm not a VW fanboy by any means but their newer stuff is pretty dang appealing.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/12/19 8:19 p.m.

Used Element, add an ECamper, boost the K24, and get some sparco terras with KO2s 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/12/19 8:20 p.m.
jstein77 said:

C&D just did an article in their last issue comparing exactly what you're looking for.  The results came out as follows:

1. Honda Civic Sport
  2. Mazda 3 Premium
  3. Hyundai Elantra N-Line
  4. Volkswagen Golf
  5. Toyota Corolla Hatch

If only Mazda hadn't cheaped out with their latest generation and reverted to a beam axle in the rear, it would have won by a mile.  I'd actually prefer a 2018 with the independent rear.

I havent read this yet, but I heard that the Toyota was an extremely distant 5th place as well.

Brake_L8 said:

The Hyundai Veloster N is not available with two pedals, but the Veloster Turbo is. I just had a V-N for a week-long press loan and you NEED to go drive one. I would assume the Turbo is a slightly slower version of this great little chassis.

https://outmotorsports.com/2019/08/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-review/

I hear pretty awful things about the DCT, and I don't think the Veloster is a great fit for someone with utility needs.  Its not useful hatch on the same level as any of the cars listed above.

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
8/12/19 8:23 p.m.

If you can find a CPO GLA45 for under $35k, it'd be worth stretching your budget.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L0rLW8HczSo4919P6WHcelNO9X9wTqVLdfEdloXJdhve73QvFbksXrgAYFw3JXYs