1 2
octavious
octavious HalfDork
11/26/15 8:48 a.m.

Granted I try very hard not to be the stereotypical Porsche owner, but I've had my car for almost 15 years, and one of the first things I did was rotate my speedometer so I could see it behind the wheel so maybe that's why.

Also what is a Grade 1, Grade 2, etc car? I've heard of that with high end shotguns and engraving, but not with Porsche or cars. I'm assuming that is a concours or Hagerty value thing?

Lastly, it's 944 guys who really cares? They are still 944s...

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 8:53 a.m.

Yes, Concourse cars are graded. Hagarty and a few others too use this scale to value cars. 1 is highest: basically better then it rolled off the assembly line. 4 is lowest - it runs, sorta.

https://www.hagerty.com/valuationtools/Classifications-and-Conditions

A bit of tongue-in-cheek reference to those snobs.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
11/26/15 10:26 a.m.

Wait... there are 944 purists? I thought they weren't real Porsches

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
11/26/15 11:44 a.m.

In reply to smike:

"smooth laps get track records. Track records help secure a nice pole position. Pole positions win races. Races win championships. Have a few of those ;)"

Nice back door brag. Thanks for reminding me why I sold my Porsche.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/26/15 11:47 a.m.
TR8owner wrote: In reply to smike: "smooth laps get track records. Track records help secure a nice pole position. Pole positions win races. Races win championships. Have a few of those ;)" Nice back door brag. Thanks for reminding me why I sold my Porsche.

I don't think smike meant to come off that way. I think Rennlist comditioned him. He seemed humble in that thread I linked.

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 12:09 p.m.

Oh that wasn't Porsche bragging. I actually won those championships with Ford products. :) As long as it has a motor, I don't care what I'm racing.

I pay forward with NASA. Open invite to anyone in the Great Lakes region to come out, drink some beers, lap some tracks faster than ever (not necessarily in that order). I'd be happy to give all my knowledge for those seeking. As would all of our Group Leaders. We're there to make everyone faster!

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 12:44 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
TR8owner wrote: In reply to smike: "smooth laps get track records. Track records help secure a nice pole position. Pole positions win races. Races win championships. Have a few of those ;)" Nice back door brag. Thanks for reminding me why I sold my Porsche.
I don't think smike meant to come off that way. I think Rennlist comditioned him. He seemed humble in that thread I linked.

I'm 10000% getting more people into HPDE, TT, and W2W. I actually enjoy sharing knowledge and developing badass drivers more than any single race myself.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/26/15 12:54 p.m.

Great Lakes region huh? Where do you live?

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 1:21 p.m.

Ohio now (work). Michigan man myself though. Just stuck in Ohio.

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 1:24 p.m.

Oh TR8 man. We had a 1956 Triumph TR3 back in the day. Have a 1967 Sunbeam that I'm building right now.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
11/26/15 2:31 p.m.
smike wrote: Ohio now (work). Michigan man myself though. Just stuck in Ohio.

My condolences for being stuck in Ohio. We have some other folks here that live in Ohio. We still let them post here though
Stick around man, you might like it here.
BTW, I'm in Fenton.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
11/26/15 2:58 p.m.

I wouldn't throw Rennlist under the bus. My LSx 944 swap thread there has over 100k views, no one blasted me for ruining the car and mine started as a '89 Turbo S...

I wouldn't change the stock cluster myself just because it's easy to read and works well. However whatever someone wants to do to their own car isn't my business.

smike
smike New Reader
11/26/15 3:06 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
smike wrote: Ohio now (work). Michigan man myself though. Just stuck in Ohio.
My condolences for being stuck in Ohio. We have some other folks here that live in Ohio. We still let them post here though Stick around man, you might like it here. BTW, I'm in Fenton.

Lol thx.

Detroit and A2 over the years.

ninjacoco
ninjacoco New Reader
12/1/15 6:31 a.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Wait... there are 944 purists? I thought they weren't real Porsches

Hey, now. Mine is a thoroughbred crapcan! It has a long and storied racing pedigree of peeing coolant wherever it's parked.

Tyler H
Tyler H SuperDork
12/1/15 7:01 a.m.
ninjacoco wrote:
BlueInGreen44 wrote: Wait... there are 944 purists? I thought they weren't real Porsches
Hey, now. Mine is a thoroughbred crapcan! It has a long and storied racing pedigree of peeing coolant wherever it's parked.

That's because it knows, deep down inside, real Porsches are supposed to be air cooled.

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
12/1/15 8:59 a.m.
ninjacoco wrote:

Haha. That's not so bad. The last time the 924 project in my garage was rolled out and started it peed gas and pooped pieces of the catalytic converter.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
12/1/15 9:48 a.m.

I never let other owners dictate what I drive. Have a lot of fun cars that I might not otherwise thanks to that decision.

theenico
theenico Reader
12/1/15 10:05 a.m.

The grammar (or lack thereof) in that Rennlist thread made my head hurt. I like Porsches, and plan to procure another one someday, but I will never register a profile on that E36 M3 storm of a forum.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TXKcuuOigHfMD2Ki4JXVdqhKVfoEwMZLorSKpOfgTWBaleCzKnphTVqvZ9qeYCQP