Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
1/10/23 3:31 p.m.

In addition to my editorial duties, I'm hoping to blast through a few roles of film at the Rolex 24 later this month with my K1000. Any suggestions of what film I should shoot with? Anything you want to see captured on film?

I'm hoping to get my hands on a couple of rolls of Kodak ColorPlus or Gold, though I do have a roll of CineStill 800T sitting in my minifridge that I'm planning on finally using.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/10/23 4:56 p.m.

TriX.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
1/10/23 4:59 p.m.

Here's what I used for the Challenge this past year; Ilford HP5 for low-light, as I used push processing to reach an effective ISO of something between 1600 and 3200 (I don't have a way to perfectly measure this but I have history of what generally works so grain of salt etc).  For color I used Fuji Superia 200, Kodak UltraMax 400, and Kodak ProImage 100.  

I like the look of UltraMax 400 in daylight.  I think I like ProImage 100 based on samples I've seen and it has a nice "laid back" look that is kind of the opposite of UltraMax.  The Fuji is just cheap basic film that comes out on the cool side and I had some in my freezer.

I love long exposure shots on film.  And capturing movement, so panning shots.  Do some of that.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
1/10/23 6:46 p.m.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a K1000 is still in use today.  Just yesterday I scanned a batch of negatives shot with my K1000 20+ years ago and some my Dad shot with his nearly 50 years ago.  I always shot Kodak Gold or UltraMax 400, whatever was available before an event, but always Kodak.  I discovered that several of my negatives lost their blue range, giving the images a yellow cast.  They were all stored in the same place, so I'm not sure what happened, but PhotoShop fixed it.

Colin Wood
1/10/23 6:56 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Haven't tried ProImage yet (though I really haven't tried many films yet) and prices seem pretty reasonable.

Two good enough reasons to try it out in my book.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
1/10/23 7:18 p.m.

ProImage 100 is fairly restrained, but it behaves sort of like Ektar in that you get more and better colors out of it if you shoot it like slide film and expose for highlights.  If you give it too much light, it washes out pretty quickly.

Speaking of Ektar. It's glorious, but not necessarily what I'd choose for action shots. It's pretty particular about light, and you can get a color shift if you overexpose it.

TriX is, well, TriX. B&W is often overlooked for colorful subjects, but I think there's an argument to be made for it.

Apis Mellifera
Apis Mellifera Dork
1/10/23 7:52 p.m.

What I never noticed was how bad some processing was.  Here's a negative I scanned yesterday:

And here's a scan of the print made from the same negative 21 years ago:

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/11/23 9:43 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Tri-X is Tri-X, and there always seems to be a place for it. It's just timeless. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
1/11/23 9:50 a.m.

I was going to recommend  rerolled Kodak Vison 3 500t tungsten film for night shots under the lights, but I see you already have Cinestill 800t which is the same thing without the remjet. 

Been fairly pleased with the results when pushed 1-2 stops (in Vison 3, shooting it at ISO 800 and 1600) .

I got lucky and late last year and got a 5 pack of Pro-image 100 that need to shoot still...

aw614
aw614 Reader
1/11/23 9:51 a.m.

I was going to recommend  rerolled Kodak Vison 3 500t tungsten film for night shots under the lights, but I see you already have Cinestill 800t which is the same thing without the remjet. 

Been fairly pleased with the results when pushed 1-2 stops (in Vison 3, shooting and developing it at ISO 800 and 1600) .

I got lucky and late last year and got a 5 pack of Pro-image 100 that need to shoot still...

Colin Wood
1/11/23 10:49 a.m.

I appreciate all the input and especially the photo examples.

I'll admit that I'm not the biggest fan of shooting black and white, but maybe shooting some cars at speed might change my mind.

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
1/11/23 11:05 a.m.

Now you have me thinking I should pick up a few rolls and pack my film camera just in case I have some extra time to shoot out there.  

Colin Wood
1/11/23 11:44 a.m.

In reply to ChrisTropea :

You totally should–even if you only get a chance to take a few pictures.

If nothing else, it's almost always a great conversation started.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
1/11/23 1:21 p.m.

https://www.fluid-film.com/

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
1/11/23 3:49 p.m.

I really miss Ektar 25.  An amazing film for stationary subjects--super fine grain and shocking color.  At least you can still get Ektar 100.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/12/23 11:54 a.m.

My A-1 is loaded and sitting like a meter away from me...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jNJElXPzFMrdGdPmDuJxiWMFefehRN2xhfYWIsP8l9TYLtXgzNbH4h6VzhDD85JI