1 2 3
sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/1/16 7:13 a.m.

That looks to me like a zr1 swap.

Aaaaand it is....

"This is a sharp-looking 2004 Colorado regular cab from a distance, and it gets even better up close. Basically, they took everything good out of a late-model Corvette ZR1, and bashed it together with a Colorado. It’s got the wheels. It’s got the seats. There’s even a six-speed transmission under the hump. I saw the truck earlier in the day with the hood closed, and just assumed it was mostly an appearance package. But the hood was up later, and sure enough, there was a 638-hp supercharged LS9 V8 in there. I’ve never seen so much love lavished on a Colorado. I think it was the neatest one I’ve ever seen. "

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/1/16 7:19 a.m.

An ls colorado would be very cool and there appear to be plenty of swap kits available.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
10/1/16 7:19 a.m.

And just imagine, if some manufacturer would be listening right now they know exactly what to build and be the first into (back into) a segment that would sell. It wouldn't just do well in The USA. Latin America needs mini trucks so bad that they are willing to buy those crappy mid size VW truck things.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/1/16 7:22 a.m.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/1/16 7:25 a.m.

Alright alright, I'm done. Off to work on my irs/ turbo ls swap hilux 4x4, hopefully I've revived minitruck culture only without dancing beds and airbags.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/1/16 7:27 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote: And just imagine, if some manufacturer would be listening right now they know exactly what to build and be the first into (back into) a segment that would sell. It wouldn't just do well in The USA. Latin America needs mini trucks so bad that they are willing to buy those crappy mid size VW truck things.

On the bright side, sometimes people make them into 2jz powered drift utes.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 Reader
10/1/16 11:34 a.m.

I keep on saying I don't want to do a sport truck. You guys aren't helping

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
10/1/16 5:34 p.m.

I keep wanting to like the Colorado, the modified ones here look awesome. For some reason however, I find them so underwhelming when I drive one. My old square body S-10s were more fun.

daeman
daeman HalfDork
10/1/16 7:37 p.m.

I love Mini trucks. This is my daily....

A big part of me wants to paint it cat yellow and dip the roof and bonnet black. Its not far off cat yellow now.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 HalfDork
10/1/16 10:42 p.m.

Over the past couple weeks, I've decided that my next project will be a late-60's to early-70's (no emissions testing hassles!) minitruck, heavily inspired by the MX520 project on the Ratsun forums. The plan involves Miata subframes and suspension, a more modern four-banger, perhaps a supercharger, and maybe, just maybe some fender flares.

I've narrowed it to a couple of bodystyles, either the Datsun 520, or an N10 Toyota Hilux ('68-'72.) In descending order the Datsun 521, the Luv, the Courier, the later Hiluxes and the 620 Bullet side Datsuns don't grab me as much aesthetically...so it might take a bit to find the right shell.

My vision is restomod with classic styling cues, greatly improved performance, and just enough utility to haul a motorcycle or some car parts, do a light dump run, or move a couple pieces of furniture.

Oh wait, gotta finish my 98.5%-done current project first!

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/1/16 10:54 p.m.

I don't think you need a "swap kit" for an LS powered Colorado. The 5.3 was an option for the last couple of years if you bought the crew cab. So factory parts exist to make one fit/run.

M030
M030 Dork
10/2/16 7:38 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: I keep wanting to like the Colorado, the modified ones here look awesome. For some reason however, I find them so underwhelming when I drive one. My old square body S-10s were more fun.

That's because square body S10s were awesome on so many levels. Mine returned to the Earth on me (broke right in half)

M030
M030 Dork
10/2/16 7:40 p.m.

Speaking of S10s, can they be made to handle? Using my 03 V6 S10 for Autocross could help me pare down the fleet a little.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
10/2/16 8:07 p.m.

Back in the day, I bartered a broken S10. Pulled the 4cyl lump out and proceeded to install a nicely warmed over 350 Chevy. Saginaw 4 speed, open rear end. Tin topper. Had SO much fun with the 5.0 Mustang boys. Would love to do it again. Just might do that. With my ladders on top, it was a very good sleeper. Hehe he

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/2/16 8:59 p.m.

I was thinking today that a factory minitruck shootout between the xrunner and syclone would be cool. They're about the same money right now so people conceivably could be cross shopping them. Might be an interesting article.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
10/2/16 9:05 p.m.
M030 wrote: Speaking of S10s, can they be made to handle? Using my 03 V6 S10 for Autocross could help me pare down the fleet a little.

My understanding is a lot of circle-track stuff is bolt-on, so I'd presume so.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/2/16 9:26 p.m.

I used to run an s10 in autocross and hpde. Stupid simple formula. Search drivabeater s10.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UberDork
10/2/16 9:35 p.m.
M030 wrote: Speaking of S10s, can they be made to handle? Using my 03 V6 S10 for Autocross could help me pare down the fleet a little.

pro-touringS10 forum

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
10/3/16 7:50 a.m.

^^ shouldn't have clicked on that link. Off to search CL for S-10s.

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
10/3/16 7:53 a.m.

Only an idiot would waste their time trying to make a truck handle.

In an unrelated note, here's how I waste all of my time:

Guess some people just don't know any better...

stan
stan UltraDork
10/3/16 8:04 a.m.
STM317 wrote: Only an idiot would waste their time trying to make a truck handle. In an unrelated note, here's how I waste all of my time: Guess some people just don't know any better...

Looking good.

Any details?

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
10/3/16 8:20 a.m.

4/5 drop, Roush swaybars, 4 wheel discs from an 03 Mustang Cobra, TracLoc w/3.73 gear.

Engine is a balanced 3.0 V6 with lots of port work, fancy valve job, 1.8 roller rockers, ceramic-coated stainless shorties and a Whipple supercharger running 9ish psi on e85

Trans is the normal Ranger M5od with a Hurst shifter and silly 6 puck clutch which the Mrs hates.

Wheels and tires are 18X9 and 18X10 with BFG KDWs.

Stock split bench seat was removed since that pic and replaced with carbon fiber racing buckets.

Lots of cosmetic changes

It may at some point go a bit more hardcore with an IRS, fuel cell and some weight relocation but that's a few months off at least.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/3/16 8:24 a.m.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/project-drivabeater-352595/

I wasted mine as well. "you cant track a truck!" they said.....

daeman
daeman HalfDork
10/3/16 4:08 p.m.
STM317 wrote: Only an idiot would waste their time trying to make a truck handle. In an unrelated note, here's how I waste all of my time: Guess some people just don't know any better...

If I had a dollar for every time I'd heard that.... Id still probably be broke, but at least the courier would have a rear sway Bar, Watts link and leaf springs sliders by now.

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/3/16 9:54 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

So I'm going to assume nobody makes UCAs to do the same job as the ones you used on a 4WD/AWD chassis.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vzCa71e2XYjMS8Jhjhop2VKL7jWFdzA2K9Y98pna5wZYsRj89n0lE1ezd0NpbSPp