bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
5/27/13 8:43 p.m.

So I finally got the garage all squared away and spent all weekend adding racks, cabinets, and peg board. So I now can fit 2 cars in the garage again.

As I was working, The wife asks me so are you getting a new project now to fill up the empty space? She was like you should. It's odd for you not to have something to tinker on. I have a MKII MR2 but we just never bonded. It's a nice car but it never lit my fire.

So I've been thinking. what do I want to get?

I'm ready for a V8 again. I've had a bunch of turbo 4 and 5 cylinders. Time for Torque again.I miss the torque of my old mustangs. I've got a budget for the buy and the build of about 15-17K but I do want a project and a build. Or at least something that needs TLC. I'm open to a swap but don't have the facilities to do a lot of fab work. I would want something to take back out to the track for track days. Wouldn't mind another convertible too if I can get something to pass track day tech.

So what says the GRM Crew. Any good thoughts?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve UltimaDork
5/27/13 8:49 p.m.

GTO. 400HP to start, a chassis that responds well to mods, but not much love at track days.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/27/13 8:50 p.m.

That is c5 z06 territory. Doesn't need a lot for a build though

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/27/13 8:51 p.m.

That's not how it works. You are supposed to come up with a horribly ill advised idea for a build; something off the wall that has never been tried before (probably for a good reason.) You present this idea to your GRMer peers, and ask us to explain to you why it is a bad idea. Instead we convince you that it is perfectly reasonable, can be done for pennies, will only take a week or two to complete, and that your wife will adore the project.

Since we're supposed to offer an answer, I'll go with miata.....inline 5, volvo diesel in a miata. (Well, there's also the option of a two stroke autodacia powerplant)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/27/13 8:54 p.m.

Early 60's American something. Make it handle somehow and build the motor for gobs of torque. Can you vintage race something like a Falcon?

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
5/27/13 8:59 p.m.

E36 vert/ Z3 ls1 swap Takes tinkering but from the little bit I've read the kits are pretty dang good so you don't do much fab.

Will
Will Dork
5/27/13 9:13 p.m.

Put an LS4 in your MR2.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/13 9:15 p.m.

How about a modern-ish take on a Fox Mustang? Fix the rear suspension, add more power, install big brakes, etc. Or, if you want to push the Easy Button, yeah, C5 Vette.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/27/13 9:25 p.m.

How good do fox body's get if you throw the maximum motorsports etc package on it with the stiffeners and everything?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
5/27/13 9:30 p.m.

Lots of great Ideas. My first thought was V8 Mazda of some sort (RX7, Miata), 2X0Z with a SB Chevy, A C3 vette if I could get it to turn.

With Vorshlag just up the road the E36 LS1 is not a bad idea.Terry can provide good support there.

Definitely not looking for the easy button. I want to build something different. Otherwise there would be an s197 in the garage with a blower on the way.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/27/13 9:37 p.m.

I've REALLY wanted to do a e36 lsx for some time now. Eye'd the 5.0 swap a few times and vorschlags kit too. It would be a hard choice for me between

c5 z06 rx8 lsx swap or e36 LS swap if I had about 20k to put into something

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
5/27/13 9:39 p.m.

Something different huh? How about a 500SEC convertible?

Its never going to handle like a corvette, but you could get it to work well enough for track days and if you get the euro version the engine has 300hp stock.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
5/27/13 9:40 p.m.

I'm just projecting my own project wishlist on you but.. an MGB GT or GT6 both look fantastic and have room for LS V8 goodness.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/27/13 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Travis_K:

Find one with blown engine, insert LSx and manual of some sort?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NXxO5pvkbl0oNRxSqDbK80Bv6aO8Vj5a3F3u9XA7EtGHovIO9FJcfGk2OELfP0K0