BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/16/23 1:25 p.m.

I'm currently working hard on trying to ignore the GT2/3 RX7 that's for sale on here, and as the ad states, it's missing the dorito container. I had a look at eBay and non-RX8 13Bs triggered all the HFMs. Is that really the going rate for one there days?

I'm not looking for a competitive engine as right now I've got no plans to get a race licence again, so a basic running 13B with decent compression is pretty much what I'd looking for.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/16/23 2:08 p.m.

I have an FC 6 port with good compression and bad coolant seals, and a set of good FC 6 port side housings, I was considering putting up on the club for $2000.  Should be able to combine those into one engine.

Yeah, I remember when the Cosmo 13B-RE engines were $1800 from Corksport because they didn't bolt into FCs or FDs and were incredibly common.  Now I am seeing them at $12,000.   Mind you, you can apprently buy an all new FD keg for about $6k, Mazda still makes a batch of them now and then.

If you want something with a bit more zip, I could refresh the bridge port in my '84.  All of my current plans for that car involve something less... that.  Compression is a little low on the rear rotor and I never bothered to pull it down and find out why.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/16/23 3:19 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Mind you, you can apprently buy an all new FD keg for about $6k, Mazda still makes a batch of them now and then.

$5500 at Mazdatrix, although I hear they're on back order:  https://mazdatrix.com/product/93-95-13b-engine-new/

I think you can get the Mazda Motorsports discount on them if you order from Mazda, but the web site doesn't want to accept the part number that Mazdatrix lists.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/16/23 3:22 p.m.

In reply to codrus (Forum Supporter) :

Mazdatrix rotates the numbers in the Mazda number, IIRC.

Unlike some things, backorder does mean that they get more.

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
8/16/23 3:52 p.m.

Thought the JDM TT motors were still cheapish ~$2500 as that was my thought to back date an RX8.  Many things changed post covid so maybe not a thing these days.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
8/18/23 4:44 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback. My understanding is that these particular cars don't take an FD TT motor, but run a more FC-style NA motor. In fact they seem to be more FC under all that pretty fibreglass than FD. So I guess the good news is that I wouldn't need to find a TT motor...

Still noodling on this though as this car would again require a trailer and I'd also have to figure out what I'd do with my Elise. Although I'd have to figure that out anyway.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
8/18/23 4:53 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

The FD engine can be used with an FC or FB/SA chassis, all you need are different motor mounting methods.  Apparently the FD engine with its turbos scraped off is a 200+ horsepower engine, the turbos seem to mainly be there for low end and midrange oomph and only increase power a little bit at the top end, just enough to overcome exhaust restricton plus a handful more.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CTLN3VKD4TyuXmnhYYrW3X4aMHiB1bvjwlmRyJY5wZjtK5fvYVm4O0JE67cI8JnK