J Block
J Block New Reader
4/15/12 10:22 a.m.

This time it is a lot, lot easier and it doesn't get any more stockish. There are millions out there and you likely have crawled under one. What is this car and be specific.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
4/15/12 10:28 a.m.

Blind Guess. 2wd chevy c10?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/15/12 10:39 a.m.

Older Chev- Second gen Camaro maybe? The painted crossmember is giving me issues...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/15/12 10:42 a.m.

The steering is the clue I think, though I don't know off hand which car it is. I do like the position sensor for recording steering angle though. Very nice.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/15/12 11:32 a.m.

Ok, this thread has made me realize that somebody needs to start a database of pictures of the underside of cars. Hell, half the time I'm more interested in the bottom of the cars than the tops anyway.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 Reader
4/15/12 11:49 a.m.

Fox body mustang. Wait they are rack and pinion.

Knurled
Knurled Dork
4/15/12 12:17 p.m.

Third-gen F-body.

Very similar to the A/G body cars, but the unibody construction means the frame is shaped completely different. That car does not appear to have a frame...

The only thing that makes me think I may be wrong is that I've never seen headers on an F-body that had the driver's side exit to the rear. But, the engine is a Chevy, the steering and suspension is so GM that it isn't funny, and there aren't any other options.

Argh, now I am second-guessing and the center link looks too wide, so it may be a truck, but I'm unfamiliar with 2wd trucks. (And is that a sensor or a damper?) It's definitely not a van, vans had the steering boxes mounted differently and they bolted the lower control arms to the body.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/15/12 12:45 p.m.

It's a sensor for recording steering angle.
I've looked at camaros, chevelles, c10s and g-bodies and I can't find a match. Clearly Chevy so no matter what it is their are millions of them. That doesn't help a lot. I don't think el caminos had anything unique about their front suspension. Dammit.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
4/15/12 12:57 p.m.

If that is a strut on the right front, its a 3rd gen F body.

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
4/15/12 2:17 p.m.

while the no shock bolts in the LCA screams 3rd gen f body, that crossmember sure looks like part of a full or traditional subframe and not a bolt in k member like the f cars have.

J Block
J Block New Reader
4/15/12 5:46 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Older Chev- Second gen Camaro maybe? The painted crossmember is giving me issues...

DING, DING, DING We have a winner (should have stopped on the first guess)

It's a '78 2nd gen Camaro. That was way easy.

Shall we go for 4 and step it up a bit? you guys are good.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Reader
4/15/12 6:34 p.m.

Give it another round. I'm a bit embarrassed at how much I learned about GM front suspension design while using google images this afternoon. These threads are proving to be educational to me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ACR8JD9EMKFUN3RUmbDEeWHZdlmUHPrPw60GdWxTDSGMcUXyArsSYvUvnAKDL7kL