1 2
octavious
octavious Dork
10/30/17 6:40 p.m.

I thought you guys might be able to give me some options. First off the Land Cruiser:

- 2000 model

- 230k miles

- backyard front end repair from where the PO hit something

- in need of a bumper cover, trim strip, and rear tail light where I hit something

- sunroof has slight leak in hard rain

- oversize tires that rub at full turn

- and the kicker that leads to the question, the brake ABS pump went bad. During replacement I found that the ABS/VSC module is corroded and the mounting tab on it for the pump is broken. Replacement used part are $1100+, and a new replacement parts are $2200. 

Now it does have some good, recent brakes all around, recent front axles replaced, recent timing belts and water pump, plus it has no rust underneath. 

The biggest issue is the expense of the ABS module replacement vs. what I have into the Cruiser.  In the spring I traded an old CJ for the Cruiser.  I had the CJ listed for $5500 and would have taken $4500.  So I’m having a hard time justifying the $1100 for a used part from a wrecked Cruiser,  or the $2200 for new part when I only have $5500 into the Cruiser in the first place.. 

I’ve looked for replacement parts locally at the junkyards and online without luck. The broken part was apparently only available on 00,01,and 02 Cruisers. So no I haven’t had any luck. 

I’m thinking of the following options

a) see if I can have the broken tab soldered on the ABS module and then put the pump on and see if it works (already planning to do this before the other options) 

b) buy the used/new module and put it on (ouch)

c) sell as is

d) part it out/sell to junkyard

But I’ve never sold a non running car before, I’ve never parted one out before, and I’ve never sold one to a scrapyard. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/30/17 6:42 p.m.

Delete the abs?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/30/17 6:43 p.m.

Delete abs?

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/30/17 6:44 p.m.

How about... Go to Expedition Portal and ask for another source to a cheaper part

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/30/17 6:47 p.m.

Sell it to me at junkyard price so I can delete the ABS?

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
10/30/17 6:53 p.m.

Landcruisers are hipster gold around here.   I can't possibly see scrapping one with only 230k over an ABS module.   If option a) doesn't work, can you just gut the module?    

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
10/30/17 7:01 p.m.

Asking $6,500 with 250k in rusty Cleveland. 

Another Asking $6,500 in rusty Detroit with 230k

octavious
octavious Dork
10/30/17 7:08 p.m.

Not sure I understand about deleting the ABS. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/30/17 7:10 p.m.

In reply to octavious :

Unplug/Remove the ABS module. May involve connecting the lines together where the module used to be. 

octavious
octavious Dork
10/30/17 7:12 p.m.

The ABS module is on the master cylinder and is also where the brake booster pump is connected. 

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/30/17 7:14 p.m.

Got a picture/link?

octavious
octavious Dork
10/30/17 7:16 p.m.
markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/30/17 7:20 p.m.

It's been a while since I saw a running LC cheap. Unless the frame is ready to crack in half, it isn't a money pit. Fix the abs and enjoy. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
10/30/17 7:22 p.m.

When a desert country warlord can no longer attach some Soviet era rocket pod to it? devil

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
10/30/17 7:43 p.m.

Do you like the vehicle?  Buy the used part, fix the other stuff and go on.  Otherwise, put it on CL for five large and let it go.  Oh, John, those are the previous version with the straight 6, not the 2UZFE 4.7V8 that the Y2K has.  I really like mine.  Every time I drive it, I say "This thing is awesome."

Stampie
Stampie SuperDork
10/30/17 8:07 p.m.

It's like they don't want you to do anything but factory. So not as easy to replace but you say you have working brakes. Can the bracket be welded back and just run it as is without ABS?

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
10/30/17 9:07 p.m.

I would start looking for used pieces to fix the ABS.

octavious
octavious Dork
10/30/17 9:19 p.m.

@Stampie I have no brakes now. On Thursday morning I went to start it heard the brake booster working (anyone who knows 100 series cruisers knows what I’m talking about) the dash board ABS and VSC warning lights came on and he ABS alarm went off. Everything I’ve read says when that happens it won’t be long before there is total brake failure. 

As I see it the brakes have two broken parts, the original ABS booster pump failed (I found a replacement for that) and then the ABS/VSC module is corroded and the mounting tabs are broken. 

Also, I spoke to a co-worker since starting this thread, he is an electrical/wiring guru and he said he may be able to solder on a new mounting tab at the ABS/VSC module, which should power the replacement pump. This will be my next step before anything else. 

Ransom
Ransom PowerDork
10/30/17 9:20 p.m.

I put a $2000 transmission in a $2500 van, because it's a solid $2500 van, and the alternative was to lose the rest of a reasonable vehicle.

It can be hard to put an expensive part in a cheap vehicle, but sometimes it makes sense.

Of course, someone else had already deleted the ABS before I got it.

octavious
octavious Dork
10/31/17 1:03 p.m.

@Dr. Hess thanks, you made a good point. Even in its banged up state I still like the vehicle.  And since it already has bumps and bruises it doesn’t hurt when my kids or I add a couple more. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/31/17 1:10 p.m.

It must be possible to convert to non-ABS brakes, even if that means changing out the MC and brake booster.

neon-cougar-4891
neon-cougar-4891 MegaDork
10/31/17 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

I just put a $2600 engine into my wife’s car that is worth maybe $2700. But new engine has about 150k less miles. Now it also needs a blower motor. 

BTDT

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/31/17 1:39 p.m.

When you have a nicer one that needs parts I'd assume.

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy New Reader
10/31/17 1:47 p.m.

I don't think I've ever seen a running Land Cruiser go for under $5k, regardless of issues. Those things keep value no matter the mileage and issues.

Delete ABS or buy a comparable module.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/31/17 4:07 p.m.

UJZ1000's are incredible, do what you can do keep it

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RlYROgFjvLu1spmquoq8r2enFYRbB96SW6fvAdElVe2lwRrHHkFo0ycNUY1ALF2d