1 2
Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/23/12 8:47 p.m.

...it pours...

At least where my girlfriend's cars are concerned. Her 1800 ES is puzzling me with a no start problem. We just ordered new Koni FSD's and both axles for her '96 Volvo 850 turbo wagon... And she wants me to change the timing belt while I have it.

And to add an infection to insult and injury, the engine in her Spitfire blew up this morning.

Sigh...

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/23/12 8:53 p.m.

Hey, you have a girlfriend with a spitfire and an 1800es. I have a wife who could give a rat's ass about my car habit. Enjoy, and get her out there wrenching with you. It would be seriously cool to have the wife truly interested in this E36 M3.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
9/23/12 9:01 p.m.

I agree with him^^. My wife can't even be bothered to wash hers and when I offer to trade cars for the day and do It for her she still says nah don't worry about it lol. And when I talk about cars she just ignores me or says I don't care haha

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/23/12 9:05 p.m.

In reply to Teh E36 M3:

Agreed

N Sperlo
N Sperlo PowerDork
9/23/12 9:06 p.m.
nepa03focus wrote: I agree with him^^. My wife can't even be bothered to wash hers and when I offer to trade cars for the day and do It for her she still says nah don't worry about it lol. And when I talk about cars she just ignores me or says I don't care haha

Oh, yeah. I get in trouble for even attempting to clean Wifey's car.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/23/12 9:07 p.m.

You guys will have to trust me when I say its a double edged sword... The other side of the coin is I have trouble making time to work on my own cars and I'm usually rushed when I do. Plus, she has very strong opinions about cars. She hates any Japanese cars (considers them 'soulless'), so my life would be hell if I were to get a Miata... Hence my over publicized resentment towards buying an E30 I didn't really want.

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
9/23/12 9:12 p.m.

On the bright side, your girlfriend sounds pretty cool.

dabird
dabird Reader
9/23/12 9:30 p.m.

I'll come tow away the spitfire and the 1800es and you keep the girl. problem solved

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
9/23/12 10:30 p.m.

Oh yeah I forgot, I want a Miata but my wife says its a chick car and station wagons are ugly . Those are two opinions she does have about cars i want. We actually got into a fight over this as we were on a road trip and there was a Miata for sale on the side of the road and I asked her to turn around and she wouldn't.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/23/12 10:36 p.m.
dabird wrote: I'll come tow away the spitfire and the 1800es and you keep the girl. problem solved

Nope. Cars come with the girl. And you'd better know how to fix them. Now. Not tomorrow. Not after you finish whatever you might want to do. Now. Do not pass go. Now.

I won't mention the other catches... You get to find those out the hard way... Let's just say there is a reason (or a dozen...) we're not married... and I live in a different state...

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/23/12 10:54 p.m.

Lucky. After cleaning out my wife's car again the other day, I told her that the next time she needs a new car I'm not the one paying for a $10K rolling laundry hamper.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
9/23/12 11:09 p.m.

I'm working on the car stuff with the girl I'm seeing. She doesnt reallly know much about them, but I think if she stays around long enough and puts a wrench to it, per say, I think she could really come to like it.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/23/12 11:25 p.m.
neon4891 wrote: Lucky. After cleaning out my wife's car again the other day, I told her that the next time she needs a new car I'm not the one paying for a $10K rolling laundry hamper.

I detailed my wife's truck a few weeks ago. Took almost 5 hours, did I mention there was a raid fogger involved? Yeah old food wrappers, half empty drinks, 4 pairs of shoes, load and a half worth of laundry, gross... I told her I would NOT be doing it again. A month later It's still clean, I think she finally got the message.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
9/24/12 2:36 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:
neon4891 wrote: Lucky. After cleaning out my wife's car again the other day, I told her that the next time she needs a new car I'm not the one paying for a $10K rolling laundry hamper.
I detailed my wife's truck a few weeks ago. Took almost 5 hours, did I mention there was a raid fogger involved? Yeah old food wrappers, half empty drinks, 4 pairs of shoes, load and a half worth of laundry, gross... I told her I would NOT be doing it again. A month later It's still clean, I think she finally got the message.

Woah.....that's pretty hardcore...

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
9/24/12 3:00 a.m.
Spinout007 wrote:

Wow. I thought my better half was bad. In fairness she has been keeping the new-to-us Mazda P5 clean.

And your girlfriend has a Spitfire? Keeper.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/24/12 4:49 a.m.

Keeping cars clean is definitely her forte. She's been neurotic about that since she was in high school with her first car. A 'normal' interior to her is spotless. 'Dirty' would still be considered clean by most. I'm sure that as soon as the house renovation is finished, she'll spend about a month of weekends detailing all of the cars. She also likes the garage spotless although its a mess right now being packed with house crap. Still, even with that, we can manage to stuff 3 cars inside.

Downsides to all of this? Well, she hates racing and has no interest in looking at race cars when we go to places like the vintage festival at Watkins Glen. As much time as a spend working on her cars, asking her to help me with mine is like pulling teeth. She did try autox, but gave up after a few events because I'd beat her in her modified MCS with my stock TDi. While I tried explaining my dh racing experience gives me an advantage with regards to seeing and memorizing a course, her ego couldn't take that.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/24/12 9:28 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Keeping cars clean is definitely her forte. She's been neurotic about that since she was in high school with her first car. A 'normal' interior to her is spotless. 'Dirty' would still be considered clean by most. I'm sure that as soon as the house renovation is finished, she'll spend about a month of weekends detailing all of the cars. She also likes the garage spotless although its a mess right now being packed with house crap. Still, even with that, we can manage to stuff 3 cars inside. Downsides to all of this? Well, she hates racing and has no interest in looking at race cars when we go to places like the vintage festival at Watkins Glen. As much time as a spend working on her cars, asking her to help me with mine is like pulling teeth. She did try autox, but gave up after a few events because I'd beat her in her modified MCS with my stock TDi. While I tried explaining my dh racing experience gives me an advantage with regards to seeing and memorizing a course, her ego couldn't take that.

Driving school, take the ego out of it. Get her a gift certificate for an autox school, and go only as support or not at all. Sucks, but it might get a fire started.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
9/24/12 10:01 a.m.
nepa03focus wrote: We actually got into a fight over this as we were on a road trip and there was a Miata for sale on the side of the road and I asked her to turn around and she wouldn't.

She didn't want to see you waving at people saying "Haaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeyyyyy"

Personally, I'd thank her if I were you....

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
9/24/12 10:35 a.m.

Let me know how you like the FSDs. I am leaning that way for my DD in the Spring.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
9/24/12 12:29 p.m.
Spinout007 wrote: Driving school, take the ego out of it. Get her a gift certificate for an autox school, and go only as support or not at all. Sucks, but it might get a fire started.

She actually did do a school. And even did well - earning the fastest time of the day among all students. But because her mildly modded MINI gets lumped into SMF (15% pulley), her times would get murdered in PAX.

We're running FSD's on her MINI and love them, which is the basis behind installing them on the 850 to repalce the current Bilstein Sports.

Morbid
Morbid Reader
9/24/12 12:38 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: Hey, you have a girlfriend with a spitfire and an 1800es. I have a wife who could give a rat's ass about my car habit. Enjoy, and get her out there wrenching with you. It would be seriously cool to have the wife truly interested in this E36 M3.

As the wife in a multiple gearhead household, I will tell you that it's not always all it's cracked up to be. There tend to be strong opinions which lead to stronger arguments, plus, this habit gets expensive!

Duke
Duke PowerDork
9/24/12 12:43 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Cars come with the girl. And you'd better know how to fix them. Now. Not tomorrow. Not after you finish whatever you might want to do. Now. Do not pass go. Now.

Sounds like an advertisement for "get it yo' damn self service"... but I've never met her, or you.

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
9/24/12 12:59 p.m.

She must be hawt.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/24/12 1:19 p.m.

Gotta be.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
9/24/12 2:59 p.m.
Ian F wrote: You guys will have to trust me when I say its a double edged sword... The other side of the coin is I have trouble making time to work on my own cars and I'm usually rushed when I do. Plus, she has very strong opinions about cars. She hates any Japanese cars (considers them 'soulless'), so my life would be hell if I were to get a Miata... Hence my over publicized resentment towards buying an E30 I didn't really want.

I'm with you. In fact I'm glad my wife isn't into cars.....I'd have to work on her projects too and we all know which ones would take priority.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iIeFAUl7VtuHKXJrryr8YKsD1AW8UKgS46egGX83RHMBz3AZswVLAoB47ROFjCtM