3 4 5 6 7
nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
8/22/13 1:32 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: TADA, thread fixed.

These dragsters are pure awesome. I'd LOVE to drive one someday. Straddling the engine while sitting between the rear tires seems both terrifying and exciting.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
8/22/13 1:45 p.m.

You may want to ask Don Garlits about the "thrill" of driving a front engine dragster

He didn't invent rear engined dragsters, but he sure made them work after swearing to never drive a front engined dragster again after that flywheel explosion.

06HHR
06HHR Reader
8/22/13 1:59 p.m.

Stumbled on this article looking for the Garlits pics, amazing what those guys did for speed back in the day. http://www.dragzine.com/features/car-features/the-top-10-drag-racing-creations-that-didnt-work/ Even Garlits wreck was a by-product of trying to go faster.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 2:11 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
mtn wrote:

So I guess what you're saying is, in Canada, me are still men

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/22/13 2:23 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: So I guess what you're saying is, in Hockey, men are still men

FTFY

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 2:28 p.m.

I watch enough hockey to know that's not true.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
8/22/13 2:29 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: I watch enough hockey to know that's not true.

I've watched Sydney Crosby enough to know that your Canada statement is not true as well.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 2:38 p.m.

He's one tough as nails motherberkeleyer. I don't care what anybody says.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/22/13 3:33 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Sorry, but smoking doesn't make you a man, it makes you an idiot. Cancer, bad breath, filth, grey film on everything, ash...no thanks.

Most things in this world that are considered "manly" are bad for your health or well-being or appearance.....auto racing, working on cars, construction worker, wrestling gators, being a fighter pilot, throwing down 3 shots in a row of whiskey, mountain biking, mountain climbing, being in the military, etc etc.

I consider it to be manly to do what you want to do or enjoy doing, and what gives you enjoyment, even if there may be a health risk or danger to your body or possibility of breaking an arm or getting a scar.

Motorsports/car stuff.....guys underneath cars on jackstands, fuel in hot pits, enjoy the smell of an un-catted vintage car, drive 3 hours in a racecar that is 120 degrees inside, drive 3 hours in a racecar that could at any moment go headfirst into a wall if someone else berkeleys up, using a billion different chemicals, welders, and power tools to restore cars, etc.

non-manly is people who say "oh, I won't do that because it might be dangerous, bad for me, or socially stigmatized. I'll just sit here on my iPad and eat this salad and drink some bottled water, because then I'll live a couple years longer.......and its trendy to be a vegan and go to the gym every day.."

life is too short not to enjoy it....if you enjoy smoking, go for it. Your secondhand smoke is no more a worry to me than your B.O. or your obesity or your E36 M3ty driving abilities.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
8/22/13 5:02 p.m.

Can I just tell a quick story? Ok thanks!

A few years back I invited my brother-in-law over for a big-assed steak on the charcoal grill with a side of grilled shish-ka-bob veggies... He declined...

...he had an appointment to get his eyebrows waxed. Not even lying!

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/22/13 5:14 p.m.
irish44j wrote: I'll just sit here on my iPad and eat this salad and drink some bottled water, because then I'll live a couple years longer.......and its trendy to be a vegan and go to the gym every day.." life is too short not to enjoy it....if you enjoy smoking, go for it. Your secondhand smoke is no more a worry to me than your B.O. or your obesity or your E36 M3ty driving abilities.

THIS!

Everyone seems to forget two things.

The healthy lifestyle thing usually adds the extra years at the end. You know, the joyous ten alzheimers years.

No matter what you do and how healthy you are, you're gonna die anyway.

Make sure you have some fun before it's too late.

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
8/22/13 5:25 p.m.

This is a rad thread. A lot of stuff that the parents of Hayden, Kayden, Jayden and their stack of trophies might never experience.

That said, the Felix Baumgartner jump from space (specifically the rear shot of him jumping from the capsule) was one of the gnarliest things I've seen in awhile. HUGE testicles.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/22/13 5:39 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
irish44j wrote: I'll just sit here on my iPad and eat this salad and drink some bottled water, because then I'll live a couple years longer.......and its trendy to be a vegan and go to the gym every day.." life is too short not to enjoy it....if you enjoy smoking, go for it. Your secondhand smoke is no more a worry to me than your B.O. or your obesity or your E36 M3ty driving abilities.
THIS! Everyone seems to forget two things. The healthy lifestyle thing usually adds the extra years at the end. You know, the joyous ten alzheimers years. No matter what you do and how healthy you are, you're gonna die anyway. Make sure you have some fun before it's too late.

My grandfather died last March at 89. WW2 veteran, big strapping guy into his early 80s. Smoked a pack a day for 40 years, worked with asbestos and other industrial nasty stuff, flew a B-17 bomber over Rommel's army in North Africa.

He spent his last 5 years wasting away with dementia/alzheimer's. Never had any other significant health issues. He was physically strong until his last few months when he stopped eating. His younger brother is going the same route, after having an equally "manly" life he'll forget all of it and all he ever loved before he dies as well.

Forgetting everything I ever knew and loved - that scares me far more than any physical disease or accident that can kill me. Going out mind-first is terrible for the one suffering it, and worse for those around him who he doesn't even recognize any more.

Knowing that's in my genes makes me not care about living "as long as I possibly can." We all die eventually. Would rather die in a manly way, not like a veggie.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UltraDork
8/22/13 5:50 p.m.

In reply to irish44j:

Agreed, I've watched my grandmother and my wife's grandmother live through alzheimers in their final years and it scares the hell out of me. I wouldn't even call it "living" it's more like "existing".

It's not the memory loss that I'm afraid of, it's the sudden moments of clarity that you're bound to have which will make you aware of just what is happening.

No thanks. I'd rather go out on my own terms at that point. We treat our pets better than the law requires us to treat our family.

I hope I don't put my wife through that.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 7:03 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote:
THIS! Everyone seems to forget two things. The healthy lifestyle thing usually adds the extra years at the end. You know, the joyous ten alzheimers years.

I enjoy the healthy lifestyle. Sure, I make bacon explosions, and drink beer, but 99% of the time, I'm eating healthy, and looking forward to my next workout. Running a 60 minute moto at full speed, and kicking some 23 year old punk's ass is, to me, as much fun as it gets. As much as I enjoy it, It is still a means to an end. I'll be 52 in a few months, and can honestly say that I don't recall ever feeling better. So the healthy life style is not always an unmanly thing.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/22/13 7:09 p.m.
gamby wrote: This is a rad thread. A lot of stuff that the parents of Hayden, Kayden, Jayden and their stack of trophies might never experience. That said, the Felix Baumgartner jump from space (specifically the rear shot of him jumping from the capsule) was one of the gnarliest things I've seen in awhile. HUGE testicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBrdl2sZWs

NGTD
NGTD Dork
8/22/13 7:12 p.m.
06HHR wrote: You may want to ask Don Garlits about the "thrill" of driving a front engine dragster He didn't invent rear engined dragsters, but he sure made them work after swearing to never drive a front engined dragster again after that flywheel explosion.

I was just watching a Youtube video of Garlits that someone linked here. He was saying at the time they were killing 3-4 Top Fuel drivers a year in slingshots. He guessed that if they kept it up at that rate then Top Fuel would have been outlawed.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
8/22/13 7:15 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: . So the healthy life style is not always an unmanly thing.

Its not very manly to be wheezing at the top of a flight of stairs.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 7:19 p.m.

And on that note

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/22/13 7:30 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Trans_Maro wrote:
THIS! Everyone seems to forget two things. The healthy lifestyle thing usually adds the extra years at the end. You know, the joyous ten alzheimers years.
I enjoy the healthy lifestyle. Sure, I make bacon explosions, and drink beer, but 99% of the time, I'm eating healthy, and looking forward to my next workout. Running a 60 minute moto at full speed, and kicking some 23 year old punk's ass is, to me, as much fun as it gets. As much as I enjoy it, It is still a means to an end. I'll be 52 in a few months, and can honestly say that I don't recall ever feeling better. So the healthy life style is not always an unmanly thing.

why are you fighting with 23-year old punks?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/22/13 7:41 p.m.

If my mind or body starts going, I'm buying a superbike and getting it over with that way. I've seen it happen the slow way(cancer, a series of strokes, general failing health) a few times, berkeley that.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/22/13 7:43 p.m.
irish44j wrote: why are you fighting with 23-year old punks?

Because I can.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/22/13 8:46 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: . So the healthy life style is not always an unmanly thing.
Its not very manly to be wheezing at the top of a flight of stairs.

I've smoked on and off for 20 years (sometimes won't for months, sometimes will), and I'd put money on me "wheezing" less after running stadium steps than 90% of the population of this fatass country.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
8/22/13 9:23 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Real men are still out there.... Detroit Diesel Twin Stick Guy

Awesome skill, must learn! What's the switch on the dash? Jake brake? 2-speed axle?

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
8/23/13 12:23 a.m.
SnowMongoose wrote:
bravenrace wrote: My grandfather was a pro football player in the 20's. No big salary, no padding, and just a leather cap over their heads.
So, a toned down version of how we ruggers do it now?

Did someone mention RUGBY!?!

Everyone in this thread is a puss compared to Buck Shelford.

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/shelford.html

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d7fZioPStOUCYQRpueldRPMag2yr7Q1IGe6emZ9b2BP3O0CPH2WotprgXczvLclF