Duke
Duke Dork
1/13/09 2:00 p.m.

My buddy needs brakes for a 2008 VW Touareg.

Normally I get my brake parts from www.autohausaz.com, but they are not stocking anything at all for this vehicle. Any suggestions on where else to go for decent prices? Thanks.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/13/09 2:06 p.m.

I just use autozone...

a mile from home and easy returns/replacements

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/13/09 2:09 p.m.

www.tirerack.com

d_balls
d_balls HalfDork
1/13/09 2:16 p.m.

www.rockauto.com

Duke
Duke Dork
1/13/09 2:17 p.m.

Tire Rack's got nuthin' for the car in 2008 model year, just like Autohaus. Thanks, though. We don't have Autozone nearby but I'll try NAPA on the way home.

We've got Pep Boys here but I'm not usually impressed by their pricing. I had great luck with Autohaus when I did all 4 corners of my BMW last year, but they aren't touching the Touareg yet.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
1/13/09 2:23 p.m.

You check germanautoparts.com yet? I had good luck with them when I had my passat and old 16v jetta.

Duke
Duke Dork
1/13/09 2:36 p.m.
RoadWarrior wrote: You check germanautoparts.com yet? I had good luck with them when I had my passat and old 16v jetta.

Hey, these guys look like they know what they're talking about, and they're cheapish, too. Thanks!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/13/09 3:42 p.m.

pretty amazing that a 2008 suv needs brakes already

ww
ww Dork
1/13/09 4:10 p.m.

Wow! My friends 2006 V8 Toureg didn't need brakes until last summer. When he found out how much they cost, he traded it in on a 2008 Dodge Durango Limited...

Ok, there were a lot of other problems with the Toureg... 2nd transmission, 2nd differential, 3rd trans-axle... All fixed under warranty, but he didn't want to be anywhere near it when the warranty expired.

Duke
Duke Dork
1/13/09 8:37 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: pretty amazing that a 2008 suv needs brakes already

5300 pounds, 350 horsepower, and a heavy foot will do that. At 20,000 miles the front rotors have a serious lip worn into them.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/13/09 9:30 p.m.

A lot of people don't realize how hard they are on brakes...big vehicles don't have to eat brakes if you drive them appropriately. Stop chasing the bumper of the car in front of you and you'll be amazed at how much longer your brake pads and tires last (and how much your fuel economy improves). Minivans and SUVs are the most obvious because of their weight, driver demographics, and brake bias, but the same holds true for cars, trucks, etc. The really funny one for me is when people gripe about brake pad life (and/or fuel economy) and you see their brake lights on as they drive away. JUST BECAUSE YOUR CAR HAS TWO PEDALS, THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO DRIVE WITH TWO FEET.

ww wrote: Wow! My friends 2006 V8 Toureg didn't need brakes until last summer. When he found out how much they cost, he traded it in on a 2008 Dodge Durango Limited... Ok, there were a lot of other problems with the Toureg... 2nd transmission, 2nd differential, 3rd trans-axle... All fixed under warranty, but he didn't want to be anywhere near it when the warranty expired.

I don't get it...I'm looking at brake pad prices for these Touaregs and they don't look that expensive. What am I missing? Say you're a total shlep and buy four new rotors and pads all around, that's still only $500ish compared to $350ish for the Durango. Is there some part that needs replaced that I'm missing? Dealership would only sell loaded calipers or something? My girlfriend likes the Touaregs/Cayennes and they've depreciated horribly...I have a hard time buying the city-SUV things, but I must admit I've looked at the prices a few times.

Bryce

Duke
Duke Dork
1/14/09 8:13 a.m.

I'm used to paying $50 for a good brake rotor and $50-70 for a set of good pads. For the Touareg, pads are $150-170 and rotors are at least $100 if not more. I've never done brakes on a big heavy truckoid before.

The dealer wanted $350 to do the front brakes without rotors.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
1/14/09 12:24 p.m.
Duke wrote: I'm used to paying $50 for a good brake rotor and $50-70 for a set of good pads. For the Touareg, pads are $150-170 and rotors are at least $100 if not more. I've never done brakes on a big heavy truckoid before. The dealer wanted $350 to do the front brakes without rotors.

Well I JUST looked up prices for decent pads and rotors before making that post, and like I said, $500 shipped for four rotors and two sets of pads (with sensor wires). That's $50-70 for a set of good pads (same as what you're used to paying) and $75-85 each for rotors ($25-35 more per rotor, big deal). Brakes are brakes, no need to have a dealer install brake pads. If you have done any of your own work before, you can easily install brake pads. If you don't want to, any decent shop can do pads cheaper than a dealer, just make sure they use decent quality parts. Rotors are a little more involved for some vehicles, I'm not sure on the Touareg.

The problem here is that you're going to a dealer. Parts are priced at a premium, labor is priced at a premium, etc. They've got a hell of a lot of overhead to pay for, and the service bay makes the profit so they can keep the sales office open.

Bryce

Duke
Duke Dork
1/14/09 1:00 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Brakes are brakes, no need to have a dealer install brake pads. If you have done any of your own work before, you can easily install brake pads. If you don't want to, any decent shop can do pads cheaper than a dealer, just make sure they use decent quality parts. Rotors are a little more involved for some vehicles, I'm not sure on the Touareg.

Well, I'm not questioning my ability to do the job; I'm confident I can. I'm just used to doing new brakes/rotors for $120-$150 per axle, and these were a minimum of $250 per axle. It seemed like a big jump, but maybe it's not.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ND0Y3XrGkKOS1WGTYY5rWNBuclrZ5qOYvSQ0dF23ty66XrDti5cfahMGPoAC5iac