1 2
glueguy
glueguy New Reader
12/13/10 8:47 p.m.

I bought an awesome 97 M3/4/5 in Dakar Yellow about 18 months ago. Looks great in the school pickup line with all of the SUV's.... Unfortunately I have automotive ADD so I am starting to get a yearning for something different. I know I'll regret it - the E36 M3 truly is the E36 M3. Pure automotive goodness.

I'm looking for something in the 10 grand range. Maybe a little more, but I'm trying not to creep because I know I'll have to spend some money to freshen whatever I find.

Criteria: Similar to the M3/4/5 - four door sport sedan, 5 speed. I've got a Miata and a Suburban, so it doesn't have to do everything. Seat 4 and be fun to drive. The boys are growing so more rear space is better. Ride decent as a commuter and get decent mileage. Be fairly reliable or cheap to fix in the 80-140k mile range.

So far the list that I put together is: Acura TSX 04-06 E46 328i or 330i 98-05 E39 5 series 95-03 IS300 02-05 (I think 02 was the first year for a manual trans?) Maxima 00-03 Altima V6 02-06 G20 99-02 G35 03-06

Any others? Comments on preferences here?

Also, if anyone has one of the above and would like to trade +/- cash to experience the M3, let me know.

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
12/13/10 9:01 p.m.

540i 6-speed seems to fit the bill.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/13/10 9:11 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: 540i 6-speed seems to fit the bill.

+1 The E46 chassis rear seats aren't really any bigger than what you have nor is the 328i any better for what you want. Honestly I'd try to fight your ADD on this one. Maybe park it for a week or two then come back to it and see how much you really like it.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/13/10 9:15 p.m.

^ What he said. The E36 M3/4/5 was the greatest car I've ever owned. Not the fastest or most luxurious car by any stretch, but marvelously great at everything I wanted a car to be good at.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
12/13/10 9:17 p.m.

Don't think I can help you on this one. I don't think I'll ever sell mine.

mw
mw HalfDork
12/13/10 9:17 p.m.

How much for the m3?

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
12/13/10 9:22 p.m.

I ask how much too, but if I drove a yellow car, I'd have to kick my own ass. Just personal preference of course.

I can see why you'd want to sell it for that reason only. I've been looking for a nice M3/4/5 and they're tough to find. Legacy GT?

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
12/13/10 9:27 p.m.

I'm probably going to throw my (future) wife in an M3/4/5 whether she likes it or not.

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
12/13/10 9:33 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 wrote: I ask how much too, but if I drove a yellow car, I'd have to kick my own ass. Just personal preference of course. I can see why you'd want to sell it for that reason only. I've been looking for a nice M3/4/5 and they're tough to find. Legacy GT?

It is a polarizing color, but I like it. I only planned to keep it for a year, but I liked it so much I've still got it. I was at Home Depot a couple weeks ago and parked and when I got out I realized that I parked about 4 cars down from a Technoviolet M3/4. There's another color.....

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
12/13/10 9:38 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: 540i 6-speed seems to fit the bill.

I didn't consider that one because I thought that I remembered that there was some potential big issue with engine reliability? Plus after two E36's I am a big fan of BMW's six cyl. Is the V8 as good as the 6?

Sonic
Sonic Dork
12/13/10 10:13 p.m.
njansenv wrote: ^ What he said. The E36 M3/4/5 was the greatest car I've ever owned. Not the fastest or most luxurious car by any stretch, but marvelously great at everything I wanted a car to be good at.

^^^^ This. I still miss mine. 98 M3/4/5, black/black, every option available, plus Dinan suspension and rear DSIIs all around w/245s. Excelled at everything I wanted a car to do.

pimpm3
pimpm3 New Reader
12/14/10 1:04 a.m.

e39 540 6-speed. Rides great, is fast, looks great. Hard to argue with in the price range you are in. I guess the main problem is the car you currently own meets all those same criteria, and is "sportier". I have had both and I guess it comes down to what you are looking for. If you are looking for a fun, comfortable car that is great on the street the 540 is hard to beat. It would not be as fun at a track day, but you already have a MIata so you have that base covered.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
12/14/10 5:10 a.m.

Unless there is something wrong with it, I cant see any reason to sell it. You could always buy a Milano, you could get the nicest one in the world for $10k, and probably even have enough money left over to fix all of the stuff thats broken. lol

ZOO
ZOO Dork
12/14/10 5:20 a.m.

My dad's looking for an E36 4-door, too (shh, he doesn't know it yet). Where are you? How much are you thinking?

And I'll third the "best all-around" car I've owned. I wish I could put a brand new one away for the inevitable day that mine needs to be replaced.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
12/14/10 5:57 a.m.

I agree with the general "YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE" sentiment.

But to refocus a little... think of all the cool stuff you can do to an E36 M3/4/5 for $10k.

Id start with:
- S54 swap
- 3.64 LSD
- BBS wheels
- Complete coil-over suspension & full nylon bushing set
- Recaro seats
- JB flywheel and twin plate clutch
- AA exhaust
- Momo Monte Carlo wheel

That ought to just about get you there ;)

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
12/14/10 7:27 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I agree with the general "YOU ARE MAKING A MISTAKE" sentiment.

As do I, but I like to try new things, research a new make/model, learn a bit and then find a new project. I still cringe about the rust free, 1 owner dead stock 80k mile 86 CRX Si that I had from 2001 - 2002. What was I thinking selling that one? But if I got attached and kept them all, I'd fill a lot. They come they stay, they get loved and then move on. I know I'll regret this one, too.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: But to refocus a little... think of all the cool stuff you can do to an E36 M3/4/5 for $10k.

To clarify, that's the range I would expect to sell the M3, it's not cash laying around. Trying to sell one and replace it at about the same value.

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
12/14/10 7:33 a.m.
ZOO wrote: My dad's looking for an E36 4-door, too (shh, he doesn't know it yet). Where are you? How much are you thinking?

Car is in Tampa/Clearwater, FL. My guess is that I would list it at 10.9k and end up somewhere in the tens. I think that is the reasonable market for them now. Less than that and I don't think that I would sell it. I mean, it won't hurt me to keep it for another year.

paanta
paanta Reader
12/14/10 7:55 a.m.

The major BMW V8 engine problems were in the nikasil blocks on the M60 in the E34. The M62 used different cylinder liners and was pretty damn good.

The thing that keeps me away from the E39 is the HVAC and cooling systems. The former because of its kinda loony complexity and the latter because it's typical BMW fragile crap. That said, I don't think they're really all that much worse than most cars these days.

I vote 540i/6. For hauling kids, there's nothing like a 5-series. Safe, handling that really isn't that far off a 3-series and they eat miles like nothing else. You're already familiar with the BMW way of doing things, so there won't be nearly as much of a learning curve as there would be with other marques.

The 530i/6 should be on the list, too. That one's on my shortlist for Passat replacement. Still reasonably fast but mucho better steering feel than the 540i, plus the I6 makes it a real BMW. Oh, and I'd be on the lookout for a 540i touring converted to a manual trans. They're out there.

glueguy
glueguy New Reader
12/14/10 8:40 a.m.
paanta wrote: The major BMW V8 engine problems were in the nikasil blocks on the M60 in the E34. The M62 used different cylinder liners and was pretty damn good.

Thank you for the clarification

docwyte
docwyte Reader
12/14/10 8:48 a.m.

'92-'95.5 Audi S4 (the UrS4)

Comes with a 5 cylinder 20v turbo motor that's bomb proof along with the rest of the drivetrain. Can easily make 375hp using factory RS2 components. Plentiful aftermarket.

Large rear seats, lots of luxury with heated front/rear seats, large trunk etc, etc.

I love my '92 UrS...

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
12/14/10 8:48 a.m.

Bear in mind that the M62s are now beginning to experience widespread problems with the timing chain guides. The repair involves disassembling the front of the engine. I was talking to my BMW indy mechanic earlier this year, who told me that a lot of his V8-owning customers have come in asking why their engine is rattling; once he tells them the price of the repair, most elect to simply continue driving until it breaks. The V8 cars also consume cooling systems more quickly than the I6 cars due to the tight packing of the engine bay.

I'm a big E39 fan (I drive a 2001 525i), but the V8 makes me nervous.

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
12/14/10 9:24 a.m.

E39 is on my short list as the kids get bigger.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
12/14/10 9:32 a.m.

Any reason why nobody mentioned an E34 M5 so far?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/14/10 10:02 a.m.

^Wont' find that doesn't need thousands of work for less than $10k is my bet.

If you didn't HAVE to have a manual, I know someone who is considering selling their 540i touring with only 27k miles and lots of Dinan suspension goodies and MK Motorsport wheels, but I have a feeling he would be asking well above your price range.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
12/14/10 12:27 p.m.

If your M3/4/5 wasn't yellow, I'd offer cash plus my silver over black '03 Mazda6, V6/stick/sport. Heated leather, Bose sounds, very nice car with 138k on the odo, gets 24 mpg in mixed driving and about 26 mpg at 80 mph on the highway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9pxQ0SWiN7eSbImPhdjFm2cbXsnbZKmvJMYrGHBNRicBPtUyRNfed7KiFWjzSows