Woohoo! Now I'm officially waiting!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/22 12:29 a.m.

"Your pizza is being prepared..."

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
9/20/22 7:31 a.m.

How long could it even take to build a mini truck? A few days maybe? We built a Factory Five 818 in a week and it's way faster, so no way this will take that long. cheeky

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
9/20/22 7:33 a.m.

I wonder who will get their 2023 first lol

Finally got confirmation of my order!

I was getting nervous because the MY23 hybrid ordering window closes 20 September at 10pm.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/20/22 11:47 a.m.

Man, I hope this silliness of sitting on pins and needles to order a vehicle is over before I actually need to replace my current rig.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
9/20/22 12:03 p.m.

Well, I talked to a dealer this morning and got my order "in".  I've been back and forth on ordering because we're not quite in the position to buy one today, but should be by the time it's built and arrives.  A 5 day time window to order as opposed to waiting and either paying $10k over sticker when they're on the lots or waiting until late 2024 kinda pushed me into ordering.  Hate to say it, but if I can't pull the trigger when it's in, I'm sure the dealer would have no issue in selling it outright.

I pinged a few dealers outside of my metroplex.  One wanted a $1000 down payment, the other tried to sell me an F150.  The dealer I went with required no money down and just my info.

Waiting for them to tell me it's booked.  We shall see.  I won't be distraught if it doesn't go through, I can go another route for a vehicle when ready to buy, but the Maverick checks a bunch of boxes. 

And, I can see where this could be looked at as silly, but I think Ford's doing what they can.  They have a popular truck with a lot of interest.  Supply chain problems are kinda out of their hands, so they're doing what they can to fulfill what people want.  I've heard they may be holding back on customer orders to allow dealers to have some on the lots.  From a dealer perspective, it's nice to have all the pre-orders, but I can understand that having empty lots probably hurts them from a customer perception aspect.  I don't think there's a perfect scenario, but this seems to be "less sucky".

-Rob

car39
car39 Dork
9/20/22 12:28 p.m.

Got my order confirmation on a 2023.  Since I also have an order confirmation from the original 2022 I ordered 9 months ago, I'm not really thrilled.  My 2022 FWD Ecoboost is now a 2023 FWD Hybrid in a different color, missing some equipment we decided to sacrifice.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/22 12:40 p.m.
rob_lewis said:

And, I can see where this could be looked at as silly, but I think Ford's doing what they can.  They have a popular truck with a lot of interest.  Supply chain problems are kinda out of their hands, so they're doing what they can to fulfill what people want. 

Ford also has dealers, of course, who may be doing different things from the official playbook. "Taking orders" might mean just writing some names down so they have a list of people to call when the first units come in at a $10k surcharge. Or just saying what a customer wants to hear so they'll go away for a while. There's definitely some extra randomness in the mix when you've got a bunch of businesses between Ford and the end customer. This is what they're trying to avoid with their Model e plan.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
9/20/22 12:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
rob_lewis said:

And, I can see where this could be looked at as silly, but I think Ford's doing what they can.  They have a popular truck with a lot of interest.  Supply chain problems are kinda out of their hands, so they're doing what they can to fulfill what people want. 

Ford also has dealers, of course, who may be doing different things from the official playbook. "Taking orders" might mean just writing some names down so they have a list of people to call when the first units come in at a $10k surcharge. Or just saying what a customer wants to hear so they'll go away for a while. There's definitely some extra randomness in the mix when you've got a bunch of businesses between Ford and the end customer. This is what they're trying to avoid with their Model e plan.

Totally agree.  As was my experience with just the three dealers I emailed late Friday night.  Other than telling the dealers to pound sand, I just think Ford's doing the best they can.  Plus, the Model E is a different market, so I think it's easier for them to adjust it.  Ford sells a LOT of trucks, and the typical truck customer is probably in a different mindset than a Mach E customer.  So, they've got to take that into account. 

Just got my confirm from Ford, so I guess I'm now among the unwashed Maverick masses that gets to wait. 

-Rob

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/22 1:11 p.m.

ICYMI, "Model e" is Ford's EV wing. Model e dealers are the only ones who will be allowed to sell electric Fords after 2023, and they have to have transparent, published pricing and be online-sales friendly. It's pretty clear what they're trying to emulate, although the dealers are still allowed to set their own prices. They just have to make them public, and are not allowed to change them in the showroom. Customers also have to able to buy online from the dealer (not Ford) and pick up at the dealer or even have home delivery.

As far as manufacturer/dealer relationships go, that's pretty darn close to telling them to pound sand.

But that's for pure EVs, not hybrids. 

I'm losing track, we have 3 people with Maverick orders? All hybrids, or is there a mix?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/20/22 1:13 p.m.

Looks like I am missing this round...  

My dealer told me that they are closing order books on the Hybrids tonight and ICE tomorrow. 

My bank account needs time to recharge from recent Septic and HVAC work. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
9/20/22 1:18 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

My dealer told me that they are closing order books on the Hybrids tonight and ICE tomorrow. 

You shouldn't need any money to place an order, and it's going to be at least six months before it shows up for purchase.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/20/22 1:42 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

That checks out.. https://www.thedrive.com/news/2023-ford-maverick-retail-orders-close-after-just-5-days-due-to-high-demand

Literally sold out in 5 days, for a high-volume product that's amazing.  Dealers can still order their allocation, but no more customer "pre-sale" orders after today for the hybrid and tomorrow for the ecoboost. 

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
9/20/22 11:23 p.m.

Add me to the list of waiters. 

I actually ordered 2 of the same truck, at different dealers, in hopes that one might actually show up. 

Based off of an email from my dealer it seems that I made the right call. There is some funny business going on with Ford's strategy for the '23's. Did they actually sell 100k units in 4 days, or are they holding back for dealers to actually have a chance to have some mavericks on the showroom floor?

My dealer, Chapman Ford, sent me an email last night after I got the confirmation from Ford

"We would like to thank you for wanting to order a 23MY Maverick from us...

Between September of 2021 and August of 2022, we delivered or have scheduled over 300 Mavericks...

As you might know, Ford has decided to close the order bank that was open less than 1 week...

Around 5pm last night, we received our MY23 estimated allocation...sadly, Ford estimated a total of 11 for the entire model year for us...we hope that is a mistake and are currently trying to get answers as to why delivering over 300 Mavericks only earned us 11 over the same period...

As of today, we had about 60 customers from MY22 who didn't get scheduled and about her 250 who wanted to order from us for MY23...this number was very comfortable for us to handle based on Fords allocation formula and our previous MY sales..."

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/21/22 9:28 a.m.

I placed one yesterday (hopefully)

No further updates from the dealer.  I texted the sales guy thanking him when it went through and he said "First step only lol"

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/21/22 10:23 a.m.

Very cool they've finally reopened up ordering.  I saw one for sale at cars.com at a local dealer (at MSRP) back in August at somewhat local dealer & sent an online inquiry. I was intitially a little annoyed that the the sales professional told me the post was was for a fleet sales vehicle which wasn't actually available.  The guy was very helpful and explained that orders would reopen in mid september and that he'd contact me so I could place an order then.  He did follow-up a few times.  Unfortunately, SWMBO took one look at the Maverick and decided it didn't make sense for us right now.  I don't disagree with her, but I love the idea of a small truckette that gets 40 mpg.  

I did see some online chatter that some dealerships weren't allocated as many trucks as they placed orders for.  Hopefully all of the GRM orders above are near the top of the list.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) MegaDork
9/21/22 11:52 a.m.

My Ford dealer did not process the order, which is fine. I think that sealed the decision on the 2.7T Colorado. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/21/22 12:41 p.m.

In reply to Hoondavan :

We were a licensed Colorado used car dealer for a while. I'm pretty sure that advertising a car that we refused to sell was flat out illegal.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
9/21/22 1:26 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

It's Florida, I don't know the rules or if there's much effort in enforcing them.  The one I saw wasn't the spec I was interested in...I primarily wrote because it was listed at MSRP.  There were only used ones listed for +$10k over MSRP at the time.  

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
9/21/22 3:04 p.m.
dps214 said:
Apexcarver said:

You shouldn't need any money to place an order, and it's going to be at least six months before it shows up for purchase.

Well, between your post and talking with Gimpy...

Called the dealer, no deposit, no commitment.  So it makes sense to go ahead.

Heres hoping I have no gotchas over the winter!  (I can manage, i just dont tend to believe in having a car payment)

I shot my dealer an email asking them what their 2023 allocation numbers are. I've been seeing reports of extremely low allocation numbers from large dealers due to high demand. Supposedly you get entered into the queue in the order that your order was placed. Since my dealer was supposed to enter my order on 15 Sept but lost my COVP (Customer Order Verification Program) paperwork, they finally placed my order on 20 Sept. I have a feeling I'll be order number 437 and the dealer will be allotted like 28 Mavericks. The same thing happened when I ordered my Bronco. I'm still waiting 23 months later sad

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/6/22 5:33 p.m.

I just saw an article that, in addition to the price increase, the 2023 model year will have cruise control as standard on the XL.  I wonder how many complaints Ford had gotten about having to move up to the XLT to get it?

The dealer I ordered with (Brandon Ford) finally sent me the DORA. Interestingly, the order has a priority code 10. My Bronco order was a priority code 19. Hopefully that means that it won't take 2 years to get built like my Bronco did frown.

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
10/6/22 8:07 p.m.

I finally saw my first one yesterday, only got a glimpse tho as it turned a corner and was gone.....

I have seen a couple of the Hyundai ones, they're just too big and too much money.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q9lRfNVkVKvYFPigiIO09HyobBv932zHquCqBRvVdVEXzXn55RntCgXpG1iCGPPR