1 2
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/21/09 5:15 p.m.
Keith wrote: If it's the machining problem, you're well past the danger range. But it's worth buying a super-cheap dial gauge from HF and testing it.

What sort of dial gauge? I did a search on Harbor Freights website for "dial gauge" and didn't get anything that looked like it would help here.

These cats are now 10 years old, and some are starting to fail. The problem is that when they do, they're expensive to replace. We're getting calls from people who either got a check engine light and replaced the rear cat (which doesn't help with the light) or who are in shock from getting a dealer quote. Is it an epidemic, or has it just stuck in my mind because we've had a couple of calls in the past week? Or you can put on a header and solve the problem :)

And I don't know if we'd be able to get one in time, we're going to try to check the car out on Saturday.

I like that header idea! But I'm going to check if it was the pre or post cat that was replaced.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/21/09 6:52 p.m.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=623

with one of these to hold it:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=5645

If a cat was replaced, it's most like the pre cat. That's the only one that will throw a code. The post cat isn't monitored so it would only show up as a problem with an emissions test.

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
1/21/09 10:05 p.m.

Keith, maybe he means it is the lightest NB?

Joey

EvoRoadster
EvoRoadster New Reader
1/23/09 4:23 p.m.

The precats came on all 99/00 cars certified as ULEV. California and the Northeast were where most ended up being sold.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/23/09 4:26 p.m.

Monkey wrench in the plans. My stepmother apparently went ballistic, for financial reasons, when my dad tried to pass this idea by her. He's going to continue to lobby for permission on the grounds that it will be a better DD than what he currently has (which it will). He's also planning to sell a bunch of other toys to get the funds to not need permission.

So, this will probably still happen, just not yet.

tjthom
tjthom New Reader
1/23/09 8:57 p.m.

Yep meant the lightest NB.

My 99 is a DD and can't complain. Let stepmom know we said it was a good DD.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/23/09 10:24 p.m.

That would be easier to do if my dad did not have a history of spending excessive amounts of money on toys.

If anyone is a ham radio geek and wants to help fund my dad's next big toy, he is planning to sell quite a bit of nice radio equipment.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RyXIqeZWCwEmKfD1TA0KhZSkyMTN0bUQkNcZ6QWfu53QOa3r2FZtTjWNF6JF1BFh