6 7 8
Evanuel9
Evanuel9 HalfDork
3/21/24 2:31 p.m.

In reply to Wizard_Of_Maz :

Thank you for weighing in. I spoke to Phil at Element Tuning - a race shop that has solved the oiling issues and build 9000 RPM FA20s. He said that if I track the car, it is doomed. I really really want to get some seat time and not risk an engine blowing, which i can't afford, so I'm willing to compromise some street fun for that. And my parents have convinced me that it's better to spend less one my car and have some more money in college.

My mom's friends daughter has one, I believe a 2016. She bought it with 80k miles for $19,000 and has driven it from chicago to miami for college and back for the past 2 or 3 years. My neighbor also has a GR86, the new one. He loves it. 

The FRS is my favorite car I've ever driven, but I just don't think I'm in a position for one as much as I want one. I wish toyota had done the engine instead of cutting costs and letting subaru do it. 

I've decided to just go with something cheaper, save some money, and upgrade in a couple years after I make some more money from winter jobs and summer internships. Then I'll have the money for a spare engine (or a swap), and a better condition FRS - not the E36 M3tiest example I can find. But I am determined to get one at some point haha

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 HalfDork
3/21/24 2:32 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

HAHA. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger, but I'm just not entirely sure on newer BMW running costs, the electrical issue, and I have to figure out logistics of flying and driving it back. 

Is it fun to drive compared to your RX8? 

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 HalfDork
3/21/24 2:34 p.m.

In reply to roninsoldier83 :

I really really like the e82. Smaller, shorter, and lighter and IMO better looking. But decent ones are hard to find with a manual - a veritable unicorn, and they seem to pull a premium over the e9x. I've decided to cut my budget, save some money for track time, mods, and having money in college so spending 7,000-10,000 defeats the point lol. 

The FiST was capital F FUN, but I can't get a decent one for cheap, and I really don't want to rollover on the autox

Evanuel9
Evanuel9 HalfDork
3/21/24 2:35 p.m.

In reply to hwy :

They're all right but if I'm getting a big sedan or sedan based coupe I'd much prefer the e9x. Though running costs of the e9x vs. a japanese car scares me

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/21/24 3:04 p.m.

Any interest in a 2004 TSX, 6 speed manual, 160k miles? I'm in Elmhurst.

It is far from perfect, has rust, burns some oil. My brother owned it from around 2016 until I bought it in 2022. It's reliable, fun transportation. Comes with an extra set of wheels with snow tires. 

I need to figure out what I'm asking, but it will be in the $3-$4k range. 

If you're interested, let me know and I'll expedite cleaning it and getting pictures and a price, as well as detail all the known issues.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/21/24 3:28 p.m.
Evanuel9 said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

HAHA. I am pretty close to pulling the trigger, but I'm just not entirely sure on newer BMW running costs, the electrical issue, and I have to figure out logistics of flying and driving it back. 

Is it fun to drive compared to your RX8? 

Yep.  Especially after the suspension change.  

The gearbox is a thing of beauty compared to most anything other than a miata.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
3/21/24 9:39 p.m.

I think track stuff might not be the most prudent when in college. I did it years ago when I was in school and ended up needing a new engine after...

I'm struggling with the debate that an E90 is reliable and cheap to run, but a FRS is not.... ;) 

I had a RX-8 for 9 years and I thought it was a much better fun car than my friend's E90 335i. Obviously the 335i was much faster in a straight line.

I liked Wiazard_Of_Mazs post. I'm tempted to say if you really like the FRS, be patient and buy a not terrible one. Maybe find a car that has lower mileage, but has been in an accident, but not branded. Enjoy it on the street and autoX. I absolutely loved having a fun car when I was around your age.

dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
3/22/24 12:26 a.m.

There's probably enough advice here already to make your decision, but I wanted to add my own experience with the 8th gen Civic Si. Some friends and I have been racing one in Champcar for 3 or 4 years now and it has happily taken everything we've thrown at it. Stock examples will also get around 30 mpg on the highway. You said you don't like the steering feel but that can be substantially improved with different bushings. The Civic is not the dedicated sports car that the FRS tries to be, but the K series engine is a joy to operate, while the FA20 has a lugubrious character throughout the rev range. You might also consider a V6 Accord coupe with a manual. Not as much aftermarket support as the Civic but it'll leave an FRS for dead on a long straight..

My first car at age 17 was an RX-7 which I still have, but after the first year with it I always had a cheap and more practical winter car so I could stash the RX-7 in my dad's barn while the roads were bad. It's a great car and I still love it, but I don't necessarily recommend doing that sort of thing, as insuring and maintaining two cars always put additional strain on my already limited budget while in school and beyond. 
Lastly, if a track day incident could cause you financial ruin, just choose a car you'll like for the street, and go find a kart track nearby to get your fix till you're in a better position.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
3/22/24 11:08 a.m.

I wonder if for some track time you'd be best to rent with a low budget endurance racing team at a track night. There's no reason you must own the car you race. For your situation it's likely going to be cheaper from an all in cost perspective.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
3/22/24 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

He has 2-3 indoor cart tracks pretty close to him with leagues. That would probably make the most sense. But that isn't as appealing to a teenager, and that's ok - have fun while you can. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UberDork
3/26/24 9:43 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to Snrub :

He has 2-3 indoor cart tracks pretty close to him with leagues. That would probably make the most sense. But that isn't as appealing to a teenager, and that's ok - have fun while you can. 

I get what you're saying, but you can go karting way more frequently and learn a lot. Far less time investment. Should be karting until finding something to drive for a total of 8 minutes or less of seat time at autox on random weekends.

rande
rande New Reader
3/27/24 5:56 p.m.

In reply to GTwannaB :

Depends on why it was salavaged.  Could have been wrecked.  Could have been stolen.  Could have had hail damage.  It depends.  

Check with your insurance company and see if they will insure a prior salvage vehicle.  Some won't.

6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H4gogzNNH4Uv6XfxlKjJF6010ZQ5UjOEeSZnF1NHowyHvR5vrwmzW2ZPP8J2eDMm