1 2 3 4
Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/2/12 1:23 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Javelin wrote: It's the best way to get a lot of towing and hauling capacity for a GRM budget.
Sorry, that's in no way shape or form true. Too bad I don't have any lifted pictures.

Average price of a good Cherokee: $1500-$2000

Average price of a good Astro: $3000-$4000

Sorry.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 1:24 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I can't see the appeal either. A van seems to be a better choice for towing and hauling stuff so minus off roading, I don't see how a Jeep XJ is better then a van.
I don't think an Astro will tow any more than an XJ. Hauling might only be easier because it's not so high off the ground. I can sleep in the back of an XJ comfortably, so i don't need any of the perceived extra space. My big want for an Astro over a Jeep is awesome van captains chairs for long hauls.

I am not talking Astro though. I am talking full size cargo van. You can throw a dirtbike in the back, tow more then the XJ and at least around here they don't cost much more.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/2/12 1:27 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic:

You can also park an XJ in the back of a full size van, which is the point. Also, real 4x4 full size vans are way more money than the XJ. You might find a 300K mile turd though...

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
3/2/12 1:31 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I can't see the appeal either. A van seems to be a better choice for towing and hauling stuff so minus off roading, I don't see how a Jeep XJ is better then a van.
I don't think an Astro will tow any more than an XJ. Hauling might only be easier because it's not so high off the ground. I can sleep in the back of an XJ comfortably, so i don't need any of the perceived extra space. My big want for an Astro over a Jeep is awesome van captains chairs for long hauls.
I am not talking Astro though. I am talking full size cargo van. You can throw a dirtbike in the back, tow more then the XJ and at least around here they don't cost much more.

LOL which brings me back to the original point of i'm not making SWMBO drive around a full sized van as her DD. That's a compromise that i, and many others are COMPLETELY unwilling to make. I need something that big maybe.... once every 3 years. I'm not buying something that big. EVER.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
Osterkraut wrote:

The real reason I want an Astro is just so I can cut up a lot of badges so it can say "Van or AstroVan?" on the back.

If you don't get that right away don't bother. If you do get it you will love it.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
Javelin wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: You can also park an XJ in the back of a full size van, which is the point. Also, real 4x4 full size vans are way more money than the XJ. You *might* find a 300K mile turd though...

I don't need 4x4 though but I do need room for more stuff in the back. A standard V8 RWD full sized van isn't that much more.

92CelicaHalfTrac
Feedyurhed wrote: The XJ is the answer in the SUV world the same way the Miata is the answer in the sports car world. They are cheap, plentiful, simple and easy to work on, huge after market support, basically bullet proof and have character. I felt the same thing as some of you until a purchased one after looking at everything else. Nothing combines it all at a good price like a Cherokee...........just like a Miata. If you need to tow a lot (which I don,t) then i agree something else would be a better choice.

I would REALLY like to know how many people on this forum have BOTH an XJ and a Miata. I know there's at least 5 of us.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/2/12 1:32 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to 93EXCivic: You can also park an XJ in the back of a full size van, which is the point. Also, real 4x4 full size vans are way more money than the XJ. You *might* find a 300K mile turd though...

Full size vans are still pretty easy to park though. Unless you live in Boston, the size difference seems like a non-issue to me.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/2/12 1:33 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
I don't need 4x4 though but I do need room for more stuff in the back. A standard V8 RWD full sized van isn't that much more.

You're missing the point, though... That's the compromise that works for you.

We're merely saying that the XJ is so appealing because its a compromise that works for so many people. There's already been a few people in this thread that have said the compromises of a full size truck or van simply don't work for them.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
93EXCivic wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
I am not talking Astro though. I am talking full size cargo van. You can throw a dirtbike in the back, tow more then the XJ and get almost 9 mpg with it to boot! and at least around here they don't cost much more.

Finished it for you.

92CelicaHalfTrac
MG Bryan wrote:
Full size vans are still pretty easy to park though. Unless you live in Boston, the size difference seems like a non-issue to me.

I'm not good with big vehicles. I would get in an accident in a full size van pretty quickly. SWMBO would be even worse.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
3/2/12 1:35 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You're probably right.... i'd say the Astro would tow better because it's lower. I'd lift it, which i imagine would bring them both about equal. How is the Astro to work on? I recently did pretty much a full rebuild on a late 90s 4.3 Blazer and i wanted to kill myself by the end of it. Astro any better?

It's not just the height...it's longer, wider, heavier, more powerful, with better brakes (ESPECIALLY in the 03+ models), and the XJ has much softer springs. And my lift was done with body blocks up front, shackles and Dodge Dakota coilover shocks in the back (600lb spring rate). Coupled with the LT tires, it rides and tows better than stock.

So far all the work I've had to to on the Astro has been easy enough. The lift takes care of the pain-in-the-ass sparkplugs, and the doghouse is easy to remove and provides good access to the distributor.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 1:36 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
You're missing the point, though... That's the compromise that works for you. We're merely saying that the XJ is so appealing because its a compromise that works for so many people. There's already been a few people in this thread that have said the compromises of a full size truck or van simply don't work for them.

What about a B-body Roadmaster? It can tow well, fit a lot of stuff and people.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/2/12 1:36 p.m.

My sister owns the last year Cherokee box version 4 door 4x4 and is looking for a new SUV.

I told her she had better not trade it in because there is a large following on these babies........we shall see.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/2/12 1:37 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote:

Do you own a home with a standard garage? THAT's the difference between a Full-Size Van and an XJ. XJ fit, FSV does not.

Sorry man, but in the real world (any suburban or urban area), the smaller vehicle wins every time.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
3/2/12 1:38 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: NEver understood it when my full size crew cab truck hauls more people, more cargo, tows more and gets better gas mileage, is just as reliable, will run as many if not more miles and is actually COMFORTABLE to drive and ride in.

I have a 99 XJ and two 4x4 square body suburbans (89 and 91 both EFI and OD). The XJ is better is some circumstances mainly due to it's size. My XJ is just as comfortable as the burbs.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
3/2/12 1:38 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Javelin wrote: It's the best way to get a lot of towing and hauling capacity for a GRM budget.
Sorry, that's in no way shape or form true. Too bad I don't have any lifted pictures.
Average price of a good Cherokee: $1500-$2000 Average price of a good Astro: $3000-$4000 Sorry.

Sorry friend, That's an 01 with 96k that I got for 2k. People can't GIVE Astros away, they've got a huge van stigma, where as XJs are Jeeps and people actually want them.

Though it's easily $1,000 more useful than a Cherokee.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
3/2/12 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I live in Huntsville which is an urban/ suburban area and everyone and their dog has full sized trucks. I am just saying that unless you are doing very occasional towing or hauling the XJ is not the best choice.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/2/12 1:41 p.m.

I got those prices from my local CL, today. Up here an Astro is a rare and $$$ bird, and that's for a 2WD one. You'd have to add $1000 for AWD. Also, still won't fit in the garage.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/2/12 1:43 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: You're probably right.... i'd say the Astro would tow better because it's lower. I'd lift it, which i imagine would bring them both about equal. How is the Astro to work on? I recently did pretty much a full rebuild on a late 90s 4.3 Blazer and i wanted to kill myself by the end of it. Astro any better?
It's not just the height...it's longer, wider, heavier, more powerful, with better brakes (ESPECIALLY in the 03+ models), and the XJ has much softer springs. And my lift was done with body blocks up front, shackles and Dodge Dakota coilover shocks in the back (600lb spring rate). Coupled with the LT tires, it rides and tows better than stock. So far all the work I've had to to on the Astro has been easy enough. The lift takes care of the pain-in-the-ass sparkplugs, and the doghouse is easy to remove and provides good access to the distributor.

Hrmmm.... Makes about the same power, is heavier (by about 1000lbs).

I AM jealous of the optional 27 gallon fuel tank, though.

Wheelbase is 10" longer, almost half a foot wider, so yeah. I can see it.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
3/2/12 1:45 p.m.
Javelin wrote: I got those prices from my local CL, today. Up here an Astro is a rare and $$$ bird, and that's for a 2WD one. You'd have to add $1000 for AWD. Also, still won't fit in the garage.

How tiny are the houses where you live? Mine will tuck right in.

That is AWD, so I guess a 2WD one is worth $1,000. Of course, with your claims of awesome $10,000 GTOs and people getting $15,000 for bugeye WRX wagons, I'm naturally suspicious either of your valuation of vehicles, or the Pacific Northwest.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
3/2/12 1:46 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
The real reason I want an Astro is just so I can cut up a lot of badges so it can say "Van or AstroVan?" on the back. If you don't get that right away don't bother. If you do get it you will love it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
3/2/12 1:46 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: NEver understood it when my full size crew cab truck hauls more people, more cargo, tows more and gets better gas mileage, is just as reliable, will run as many if not more miles and is actually COMFORTABLE to drive and ride in.
I have a 99 XJ and two 4x4 square body suburbans (89 and 91 both EFI and OD). The XJ is better is some circumstances mainly due to it's size. My XJ is just as comfortable as the burbs.

Yeah, comparing a 99 Jeep to a designed in 1973 Suburan. I'm sure it is as comfortable as those old ass burbs. Try that with a GMT800 platform truck/burb? Won't even be close. Done enough time in both to know which I'll take.

92CelicaHalfTrac
3/2/12 1:47 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Cotton wrote:
Yeah, comparing a 99 Jeep to a designed in 1973 Suburan. I'm sure it is as comfortable as those old ass burbs. Try that with a GMT800 platform truck/burb? Won't even be close. Done enough time in both to know which I'll take.

groan.

You aren't trying to say the XJ was designed in 99, are you? Or anywhere close to 99, for that matter?

Let's use your same argument, shall we?

GMT800 is circa 1999.

XJ is circa 84, design started in 78.

Apples to apples, apples to apples.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
3/2/12 1:47 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Hrmmm.... Makes about the same power, is heavier (by about 1000lbs). I AM jealous of the optional 27 gallon fuel tank, though.

Is the 27 gallon tank optional? I don't think it is. But oh yeah, 400+ miles in between fillups is excellent.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xVT6AbwHLpAw6uvTU2awSkesf6ezBmwSbAO1aSWIRj4WQRCaesJD5NfYRpPkYh3S