JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/14/23 8:30 a.m.

It’s tempting to always assume the most extreme option is the best. Why have the V6 when you can have the V8? And why pick the regular V8 over the supercharged V8? Who needs Dolby when there’s THX? Why settle for a Taco Supreme when another couple coins gets you an XXXtreme Double Crunc…

Read the rest of the story

TexasEx
TexasEx New Reader
7/14/23 9:07 a.m.

300 lbs lighter? That doesn't seem right.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
7/14/23 9:38 a.m.

That is the overall weight drop. I think the article is a little misleading there. 

Lop off 2 cylinders, 1 turbo, smaller inter cooler, No Elsd just mechanical, and a few other things. It all adds up. I think I saw the actual back to back weights it was more like 240LB. 

I drove one and I have to agree with the article. If I was getting a new supra, it would be the 4 cylinder with a 6 speed if it was offered. But alas it's not so I'll keep my turbo Miata.  

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/14/23 10:21 a.m.

Toyota website shows 219 pounds difference between the four and the six.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
7/14/23 10:33 a.m.

Too bad there's no 4cyl+6spd manual option, that could be an tempting combination...

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
7/14/23 10:34 a.m.

If it had a manual I would own one now. I'm all down for a 4 cylinder supra, it just needs a manual option. 

It made me look to hope and nope. I've been looking for a car to replace my S3 and that would be the perfect thing i'd look for. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
7/14/23 10:35 a.m.

Is the four a BMW engine like the six?

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
7/14/23 10:36 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

Ya. B48

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
7/14/23 10:50 a.m.

Relevant to my interests.  Is it true that the 4 cylinder has a mechanical LSD?  I thought it had none.

I tend to prefer smaller, lighter weight cars.  I've always liked the new Supra but the idea of a lighter more nimble one has my attention.

Peanu_Keeyes
Peanu_Keeyes New Reader
7/14/23 10:52 a.m.

This was my experience as well with having a BMW 228i on track for a few years. The vast majority of modern BMW's on track in my area are M240i's and M2's. My 228i had the earlier version of this turbo 4 pot Supra engine, the N20. They're not as robust or durable as their larger engine cousins but they pack a good punch of power while bringing the weight down significantly. My 228i weighed 3,260lbs with 240ish HP and had a 50/50 weight distribution. I overtook E36 M3's regularly with it without many suspensions upgrades or any engine tuning. Darn good engines those BMW i4's.. they don't really stir the blood with stock exhaust lol but that's easily fixable. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
7/14/23 10:58 a.m.

In reply to ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) :

Yup. True. Comes with the mechanical LSD. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/14/23 11:54 a.m.
bmw88rider said:

Lop off 2 cylinders, 1 turbo, smaller inter cooler, No Elsd just mechanical, and a few other things. It all adds up. I think I saw the actual back to back weights it was more like 240LB. 

AIUI, US regulations specify that the advertised curb weight has to be for the most-common option configuration.  Usually models with smaller motors also have fewer options, so some of those 300 pounds probably come from smaller wheels/tires, smaller brakes, fewer speakers, etc.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast Reader
7/14/23 1:57 p.m.

The weight delta would be larger if the 4cyl could be optioned with the manual. Frankly, if it was I would probably have one. The fact that you can easily fit 18x11 w/ 295 squares in a -300 lbs Supra without any work is insane. It would make an amazing trackcar.

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
7/14/23 5:02 p.m.

In reply to goingnowherefast :

Ya, exactly. This with manual is literally my ideal car. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
7/15/23 6:40 p.m.

Should have gone back to their roots and called the four cylinder version a Celica. Of course I also think the current four door Charger should have been a Cornett.

kellnertd
kellnertd New Reader
8/18/24 2:17 p.m.

True balance = Porsche

Jah29
Jah29 Reader
8/19/24 6:10 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

2.0 does not come with a LSD.  Forum member took disassembled his for proof.  Probably a toyota website typo.  Quaife makes one for it, but install requires machining since gear is welded instead of bolted onto the diff...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3m1KtiJVLVj6VaTzib9BlVbovC9Sjap827FhIMEQESzxMNCTMTZsImugopOe1VsR