Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
7/11/08 9:13 a.m.

I 've come across her dream car, a black '77 Porsche 911S, that's all original and has an absolutely rust free belly pan that's for sale locally.

Needs some TLC and could use a respray, but the lack of rust amazes me. Even has a working dealer installed original A/C unit. Brakes are locked, master is froze in applied state, has a slight mis at idle that goes away as soon as you accelerate (CIS..who loves ya, baby), and needs a sliding sunroof ( was removed to fix cables and now it's lost). 32K on a working ODO, car came from Manhattan.

Is 4500 a good deal or should I just buy her a new Prada and take her out to dinner?

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/11/08 9:24 a.m.

I would....as in hell yes I would.

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
7/11/08 9:45 a.m.

You know all the common wisdom - buy the best one you can afford, no such thing as a cheap Porsche, nothing more expensive than a cheap Porsche, etc.

Given that advice, I suggest you run as fast and as far away as you can.

PM me the seller's contact info, I'll distract him while you get away!

Seriously - a '67 'S' is worth fixing up, and if it is really rust free, you are WAY ahead.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
7/11/08 9:49 a.m.

Are you going to monogram your name in the seats of "her" car so she'll remember where it came from?

While you're at it you might as well jam a mix tape of your favorite tunes in the radio so she'll think about your generosity at every turn of the wheel.

Then, you should track it just to make sure it's reliable for her to drive as a daily.

I'd also paint it your favorite color. It's what she'd want for her birthday.

Are you sure she wants a fixer-upper Porsche for HER birthday? Prada might be a more sure bet.

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
7/11/08 9:59 a.m.

I've 2 months to fix most of the small stuff before she would get it, and I've already had my Porsche, so this really is for her.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
7/11/08 10:32 a.m.

Sounds like a great find...

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/11/08 11:02 a.m.

Wow! I'm glad my wife doesn't read here often. She thinks oiling her up with a bottle of wine and letting her have her way with me is gift enough.

Dan

Supercoupe
Supercoupe New Reader
7/11/08 11:09 a.m.

She's put up with more crap than I would have and stuck around. Plus it's cheaper than giving up half my pension,toys,home,kids...well maybe not cheaper than giving up the kids...

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
7/11/08 11:14 a.m.

Where is locally?

No, scratch that.

No, really, where is it?

Damnit.

hahahahahaha!

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd HalfDork
7/11/08 11:50 a.m.

1977 wasn't a great year for these cars. It features the least reliable of all 911 engine$. The prevailing wisdom is to get a pre-74 or post-77 SC.

I've known of a 77 911S less than a mile from my house that's been available for a couple of years. It looks great but I have managed to resist.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/11/08 12:20 p.m.

Hey Bro, I love your logic. That's like buying your Mom a football for her birthday when you are ten years old. Sure you can help her use it, that's just being considerate!!

minimac
minimac Dork
7/11/08 12:28 p.m.

Do it. I did the same thing. She was facing a traumatic(for her) birthday. Haven't regretted it in the least. Check out my , I mean her, 911 in the readers rides.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gaLCRAqzMwTY98XpVpxiW2KMPjNvUre1lkjBOVf219XTAA7BLHaHaRWohbA7XxgA