ultraclyde
ultraclyde Dork
6/28/13 10:52 a.m.

Need a hive mind opinion on this vehicle for a relative:

http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/3891901774.html

2000 year model, 190k, 3.3LV6, auto, 4x4 main concern is reliability / repair cost

What are the major issues?

Thanks

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
6/28/13 10:55 a.m.

I remember they could use a trans cooler and have some minor problem from the factory that can lead to a catastrophic trans fluid spill. Apart from that they're pretty nice.

Brokeback
Brokeback Reader
6/28/13 10:56 a.m.

Don't quote me on this but I thought the trans cooler failure was on the gen II frontiers and xterras, with the 4.0 motor.

edit - looks like that seems to be the consensus based on some older topics.

i think I like the color. get reciepts for the timing belt!!

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/28/13 11:29 p.m.

Check front wheel bearing preload. They seem to have issues with losing it. Cant remember if that is a 2wd-only issue, though...

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
6/29/13 12:57 a.m.

Some of them having timing chain issues I think, my only personal experience is someone asking me why the check engine light was on in theirs, and searching for what could cause a cam position sensor code pointed to that as a possible cause.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
6/29/13 9:36 a.m.

3.3s have a belt. It's probably due for its 2nd belt unless it's already had it.

Bababooey
Bababooey Reader
6/29/13 10:01 a.m.

I just bought an 02 with less than half that mileage for $4500. Timing belt should be due on that one and the shocks on mine were absolutely shot. Cry once and go with Bilsteins. Aside from that they're tanks. Slow, ill handling, bad braking, gas sucking tanks.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
6/30/13 10:20 a.m.

My issue with the Xterra is that it gets the same or worse MPG than many larger and/or more competent SUV.

Smirnus
Smirnus New Reader
6/30/13 10:38 a.m.

Undersized stock battery. Single row stock radiator. Lower intake gasket failure, which is what I think I have now with my 3.3 Frontier.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3HCSatLqxEn6A8btovOhEGtaJDQ31LNpPWZ0vUfP6Z96LXwzMpxxQ6p2Q9LDd7vz