1 2 3
Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/24/08 7:03 a.m.

Me? A used Elise and then I'd plow the rest into a tow rig and plenty of tires n' stuff. Talk about bang for the buck!

Duke
Duke Dork
10/24/08 7:49 a.m.
ignorant wrote: enter the challenge 50 times?

Even Guido doesn't have enough kids to build 50 Challenge cars in a year.

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
10/24/08 7:59 a.m.

1970 Aston Martin DBS is on the list of things my riches would bring. Preferably built on October 13th.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
10/24/08 8:13 a.m.
Wowak wrote: Honestly if I were forced to buy one all-around autoX/track/backroad burner, it'd be a Lotus Exige, but if we're talking kit cars I'd rather have a Cobra Daytona coupe than a GT40.

I am all about the Exige but if I must stick to the list... GT3 all the way. On that short list its a razor in a box of dull knives.

autolex84
autolex84 New Reader
10/24/08 8:35 a.m.

Exige S and WRX STi. (one for track, one for rally)

If I was purchasing a single car, it would be an R8.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
10/24/08 8:45 a.m.

Tow rig and trailer = 45K 318is = 5K gotta get suspension and build it a little Pantera = 40K Pay off the Stang....

Or take the pay off and the 318 and use that to grab a bullitt for FS. I do like runnin that class.

Autolex
Autolex New Reader
10/24/08 8:48 a.m.

shelby gt is a better FS weapon.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH Dork
10/24/08 9:03 a.m.
Jensenman wrote: Me? A used Elise and then I'd plow the rest into a tow rig and plenty of tires n' stuff. Talk about bang for the buck!

+1, but I'd prefer an Exige

100k is in that dead zone between an Exige and a Caparo T1...There's only the Ariel Atom and some high-end sports cars in there...

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/24/08 9:21 a.m.

None of those cars for me.

1956 Porsche Speedster

Aerial Atom:

Acura NSX:

Misubishi Evo 3:

Nissan Skyline R34 V-Spec:

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Reader
10/24/08 9:23 a.m.

100 cheap Miatas.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
10/24/08 11:09 a.m.

I don't like the multiple choices....

But if i HAD to pick one of those, it would be the GT3.

Now, if i got to buy what i wanted?

I would buy two cars, the main being a Celica GT4 ST205, and the other being a minty fresh first gen Toyota Cressida.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
10/24/08 11:10 a.m.

ZR-1

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
10/24/08 11:21 a.m.

If those were my choices (even if they weren't, I suppose), I'd have to buy the Viper. All the others are too refined. The Viper is brutal, uncomfortable, sinister-looking, and now comes with over 600 HP. Driving one must be like drinking a glass of venom while 100 snakes bite you.

All the others seem docile by comparison.

And I have no idea what a Superformance GT40 actually is. I know what Superformance is. I definitely know what a GT40 is (Ford's big Berkeley YOU to Ferrari). But I didn't know they brought it back.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
10/24/08 11:27 a.m.

Atom atom atom atom atomatomatomatomatomatomatom

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
10/24/08 11:46 a.m.
noisycricket wrote: I thought 20Bs were severely rev limited unless you bought an expensive four bearing eccentric shaft. Rev a LS engine higher.

They came factory limited to around 7. The internals are apparently good for a little over 8k before you need that eccentric shaft.

Not an LS expert, but I think the new Z06 needed all kinds of fancy stuff to crack 7.

Would it be practical to build a super-20B instead of a super LS? No, but this is a fictional exercise and I'mma havin' fun!

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
10/24/08 12:45 p.m.

How many people can actually fit in a lotus? I know someone who is small than I am who was given the chance to drive a newer elise and he had to pass becasue he sat in it and couldnt even get his feet on the pedals. If they were made for bigger people I would have put on of those on my list as well.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
10/24/08 1:27 p.m.
Will wrote: New CTS-V plus a used Elise.

That sounds pretty good to me!

CivicSiRacer
CivicSiRacer Reader
10/24/08 1:36 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: How many people can actually fit in a lotus? I know someone who is small than I am who was given the chance to drive a newer elise and he had to pass becasue he sat in it and couldnt even get his feet on the pedals. If they were made for bigger people I would have put on of those on my list as well.

Two very small people. I'm 5'10" and 190lbs and I barely fit in them. I also have size 10 feet and had no problems with the pedals. Fun little cars, but not for me :)

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
10/24/08 1:49 p.m.
Autolex wrote: shelby gt is a better FS weapon.

I'll disagree. :), but Im the guy in the trophies that did not have a Shelby.

EricM
EricM Reader
10/24/08 2:14 p.m.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/porsche/1223259416/1223259416ss.htm

And I sould have $19K left over to pay speeding tickets.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
10/24/08 2:46 p.m.

Exige for fun and a Miata with the retracting metal top to prove that I am a practical individual. Should slot in at right around the stated budget.

Pete

Jay
Jay HalfDork
10/24/08 2:51 p.m.

I think I'd be in the "fleet of oddballs" crowd. Keep the Elan and the Starion, maybe add to that an early Elise (15k), Renault Alpine A310 (15k), air-cooled 911 Turbo (20k), Land Rover Defender or FJ Landcruiser (10k), SW20 MR2 (10k), etc. etc.

That said, I wonder how much a Jaguar XJ220 goes for these days...

Travis_K wrote: How many people can actually fit in a lotus? I know someone who is small than I am who was given the chance to drive a newer elise and he had to pass becasue he sat in it and couldnt even get his feet on the pedals. If they were made for bigger people I would have put on of those on my list as well.

I haven't driven (or even sat in) an Elise, but I fit just fine in an Opel VX220 which is practically the same thing. I also fit in Esprits and Elans (obviously.) I'm 5'10 & 81 kg but I do tend to sit a bit more forward, with my knees bent, and more reclined than others my size seem to like to.

J

Thinkkker
Thinkkker SuperDork
10/24/08 2:55 p.m.

Just to respond to the question about Elise fitment. I am 6'3" and at the time about 230. I fit just wonderfully. Think of it as less room to fly around in :D. Works wonderfully!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/24/08 3:08 p.m.

I'm 5'11" and 215 pounds (yeah, I need to lose weight) and I fit just fine in an Elise. My only gripe is that to get my feet out wearing size 10 tennies, I have to drag my feet across the dash face right where the start button is. The one I sat in (didn't get to drive it, dammit!) had all kinds of scrape marks there so I guess I'm not the only one. Once my porcine self is in there, everything is right where it needs to be. It might get cramped on long trips, that's why I threw in a tow rig.

Autolex
Autolex New Reader
10/24/08 3:11 p.m.

actually, I think I would buy a FM Westfield with a motor similar to the one they just sent out in a full body car (420whp corrected) then slap some 275/35/15 Hoosiers all around, (no fenders) and make someone teach me how to drive it! (probably Keith right?)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbwDPL11Yqwugl6jvz1V2bqP4SuJKgRXWtN2MIlFahHPMEgIUdwF5zvsptJ4ffbJ