1 2
Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
8/9/11 9:33 a.m.

Check out Per Schroeder providing an example. Of course, with the LeGrand things like "slow" and "fast" are relative terms.

The LeGrand mystifies me. I've never driven it, but I've seen a lot of onboard video from autocross runs on a variety of surfaces. I'm sure the seat of the pants gives better feedback, but when I see Per move his hands it's always a guess as to how much grip is there.

Graefin10
Graefin10 Reader
8/9/11 9:40 a.m.

I've been wondering what the world looked like from inside that thing in a run. Now I know

ransom
ransom HalfDork
8/9/11 9:41 a.m.

Wow... There are spots where there seems to be only a loose correlation between what's happening with the steering wheel and the way the world's going by.

Has he ever gotten clocked by a cone tossed up by that wedgy nose? Never occurred to me to worry about it 'til he ran wide through a spray of cones at the far end...

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
8/9/11 9:53 a.m.

One of the local guys has won B Mod at nationals in a LeGrand several times, and he makes it look easy. If anyone else gets in his car, they would pretty much either kill it or spin out, with very little in between.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
8/9/11 9:55 a.m.
16vCorey wrote: One of the local guys has won B Mod at nationals in a LeGrand several times, and he makes it look easy. If anyone else gets in his car, they would pretty much either kill it or spin out, with very little in between.

Well... he's also not human. I've seen him run that car many-a-time, and it's ridiculous. (This past sunday, in fact)

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
8/9/11 10:20 a.m.

Looks like the turn-around area is covered in butter

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/9/11 10:25 a.m.

Yep, Clemens is pretty darn good. I was happy to be as close as I was to him at last year's nats--and I'm hoping I'm closer this year.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
8/9/11 10:33 a.m.

It didn't even enter my mind that something like the LeGrand would understeer... if I had been in the cockpit you would've heard a lot more cussing around that 180 degree turn, hahaha.

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
8/9/11 10:35 a.m.

That was an amazing video. Thanks for sharing. It really shows you that slowing down can be speeding up.

Per Schroeder
8/9/11 10:40 a.m.

It understeers when it's on the equivalent of a dirt road. This site is crumbling asphalt. Here's a better video of the car on high grip concrete:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1976-legrand-mk-18/successful-first-trip-nats-legrand/

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
8/9/11 10:50 a.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: It understeers when it's on the equivalent of a dirt road. This site is crumbling asphalt. Here's a better video of the car on high grip concrete: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/1976-legrand-mk-18/successful-first-trip-nats-legrand/

Somewhat related: You ever consider running Rcomps on asphalt? I found R35's to have unimpressive grip levels on non-100 degree days. PS: The Tinsley car has come back to ATL. Hopefully I'll get a codrive some time.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/9/11 10:58 a.m.

I think I broke a sweat just watching all that hard work

donalson
donalson SuperDork
8/9/11 11:28 a.m.

I'm with the others... amazed at how much work was going on for such little control... thanks for posting that 2nd vid Per... thats much more of what i'd expect to see... looks like a hoot :)

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
8/9/11 11:47 a.m.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one in the Philly region who was bummed when the local LeGrand was sold and the owner went back to karts. Of course, I'm not sure the car completed more than one or two events without breaking... Still, I just really like seeing real purpose-built race cars v. converted street cars.

I never really knew what understeer was until I did a test run in an FMod last year... combine heavy steering meant for a race track and a solid bar (no diff) rear axle and I was totally not ready for how hard that thing was to turn. Still, in a straight line it was so freakin' fast... Someday I'll be worthy...

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
8/9/11 12:33 p.m.

Like my new avatar?

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
8/9/11 12:34 p.m.

Sorry, I'm just jealous. I wouldn't have hit one cone because I'm not sure if I could have even gotten close enough to any of the gates.

Per Schroeder
8/9/11 12:36 p.m.

Funny--that happened so quick, I wasn't even that aware of it.

As for R-comps--no haven't tried them on the BMod--not sure if that would work on a 790lb car--if anything, I'd like to try some of the uber-soft Avon UK hillclimb tires.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
8/9/11 12:47 p.m.

That surface looks really, really bad. Do you guys weed before course set up?

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Reader
8/9/11 1:43 p.m.

My neck is now very sore. All that back and forth.

BTW that helmet shape makes me think of Sleestacks for some reason?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
8/9/11 1:47 p.m.

Looks like he needs a bigger steering wheel.

imirk
imirk Reader
8/9/11 2:14 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: Looks like he needs a bigger steering wheel.

but then he wont fit in the car...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/9/11 2:38 p.m.

consider it "power" steering

Per Schroeder
8/9/11 2:40 p.m.

Nah--steering is light--even with the little wheel. Each front wheel only has 230lbs on it.

Per

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Reader
8/9/11 7:34 p.m.

My cars the opposite of slick surface/cold tires as it oversteers,as the surface gains grip and the tires come up thru the day it transitions to a slight understeer. Per I wouldn't bother with r-comps,mine sucks on them-might as well be sears all seasons.You need a bigger wheel.:) 710's; http://youtu.be/r_opHgKNnfU R25b's; http://youtu.be/8r8nhAWhCgs

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
8/9/11 11:53 p.m.

790#?? Bastard! The Radical scales at over 1220 w/ my sweaty ass and post-race fuel load. I thing I'm going to drop in a Hayabusa engine and ballast up to CSR.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HtUNCnDGYrOZ3OXfH1YqjHzdOA1Xi6EeijPi7gVXe1u87YJNqb9pKAJIoskX8xZm