Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/20/24 12:40 p.m.
feature_image

While “sports sedan” isn’t what most people thought of when looking at the Ford Contour, the folks at Ford’s skunkworks, the Special Vehicle Team, apparently saw some potential.

The result? The SVT Contour, a hopped-up sedan that could be bought from a Ford dealership nea…

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/20/24 12:44 p.m.

Wow, can’t recall the last time seeing one in that color. As I recall, our test car was dark red. 

Cool car. I remember the shifter feeling precise. 

Sadly, as I remember, the Contour also cost about the same as a Taurus, meaning it wasn’t seen as a good deal by most people. 

Coniglio Rampante
Coniglio Rampante Reader
9/20/24 2:21 p.m.

Wow, under 80,000 miles and $6,500?  I see no significant damage or even any evidence of tin worm.  Someone with better eyes and more knowledge about these cars please tell me what's wrong with it. 
I had a friend who was an accomplished driver (and rider of motorcycles) who generally didn't like fwd cars...but he loved both the SVT Contour and the Taurus SVO.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
9/20/24 2:33 p.m.
Coniglio Rampante said:

Wow, under 80,000 miles and $6,500?  I se no significant damage or even any evidence of tin worm.  Someone with better eyes and more knowledge about these cars please tell me what's wrong with it. 
I had a friend who was an accomplished driver (and rider of motorcycles) who generally didn't like fwd cars...but he loved both the SVT Contour and the Taurus SVO.

Few know what "SVT" means, probably hard to find some parts, it's... still a fwd Ford Contour so anyone shopping for a used small sporty sedan from that era is going to look for a BMW E46.

I think they are awesome. And it still bugs me that Ford won't stick with a consistent branding for their factory hot-rod models.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/20/24 2:43 p.m.

My 2000 CSVT was one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. Quick, pretty good handling, comfy, and reasonably efficient. It was a great DD that also saw duty as a track day car and autocrosser.

CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
9/20/24 5:57 p.m.

I effing love SVTs Contours. I saw one around my town in highschool in that exact color. I still think they look cool. Never did get to drive them. Fun fact, even the SE V6 models had 170hp, not bad back in that day. I remember Peter Egan was considering buying one.

They supposedly had oil starvation issues on long right (or was it left) turns that could nuke the motor. At least so says the internet. 

They weren't a high seller when new, and my guess is that Fast and Furious crowd ruined what ones did get sold. I also wonder if cars like the Mazda6 were more appealing (more power, a bit more space, probably just as sporty). I think they are nice size, somewhere between a compact and a full size sedan of that day. Nowadays what a "compact" sedan is. 

That one looks minty, someone hear should buy it!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
9/20/24 7:50 p.m.
Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/20/24 8:17 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

100% believe it. My brother nuked his engine doing exactly that.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/20/24 9:10 p.m.
Appleseed said:

In reply to CyberEric :

100% believe it. My brother nuked his engine doing exactly that.

When I tracked mine, I deliberately lifted a bit and gave it a "wiggle" in sweepers, just in case. Though I was on street tires, so I was probably fine.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
9/20/24 9:56 p.m.

Some friends built this one. It was a very quick(and well driven) race car but they found out about the oil starvation issue. I want to say they switched to the Escape V6? Does that sound right?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB Dork
9/21/24 12:21 a.m.

I owned the first year manual V6 SE for a bunch of years. It was sorta Beige Gold so folks would ask me if it was a rental. Very under the radar but a nice entertaining ride. Traded in for a Miata. I really wanted a SVT version, just that much better. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wfJpU2qFFUn6zqBbF7u1XCZYSpKCy44ZrkfA7ONA4f1dHsYWikw7yWj3MBfeR64p