1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
12/14/23 12:42 p.m.
feature_image

Why settle for just any race car, when you could have something funkier, something a little French?

Billed as retaining “the full showroom stock cup race car package,” this Renault Alliance race car also comes with an SCCA log book, numerous documents and literature, plus variou…

Read the rest of the story

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
12/14/23 12:55 p.m.

très magnifique

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/14/23 12:57 p.m.

"Would have to be picked up in Grass Valley CA". I think I've seen this car in person about a decade back - the person selling it back then had an X1/9 race car that I was interested in.

Not sure if it's the same seller.

L5wolvesf
L5wolvesf Dork
12/14/23 1:19 p.m.

Just curious if there is any idea who ran this car back in the 80s. I crewed for several guys back then. 

FWIW, the FB ad says it is in Phx.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/14/23 1:22 p.m.

In reply to L5wolvesf :

The ad places it in Phoenix, but at least the parts are in Grass Valley CA according to the ad.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/14/23 2:34 p.m.
etifosi said:

très magnifique

Totally and way.

JG and I need this. 

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
12/14/23 2:35 p.m.
etifosi said:

très magnifique

C'est ne pas. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/14/23 3:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
etifosi said:

très magnifique

Totally and way.

JG and I need this. 

Think of all the editorial. It's possibly worse than an Elan in a yard trailer, because there are companies that sell parts for Elans.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/14/23 3:37 p.m.

I had an Alliance for a rental car once, back in the day.  Granted it was a rental and probably beat on, but it was the worst rental car I ever had.  Hard to start, uncomfortable, various things worked intermittently, and the final straw was when I pushed the Off button on the radio and the button sprung out of the dash and flew into the back seat.  smiley

David S. Wallens
12/14/23 3:43 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

You’re making me want this even more. 

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
12/14/23 3:57 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I worked for a rental car outfit in the mid 80's. We rented these and Encores. They were complete garbage straight from the dealer. No need for renters beating on them

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/14/23 3:57 p.m.

Kind of amazing that I don't even think this is a former Cup car. Someone just saw a Renault Alliance (not even a GTA) and said "Yeah, that's my race car right there." and built it from scratch.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/14/23 4:02 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I had an Alliance for a rental car once, back in the day.  Granted it was a rental and probably beat on, but it was the worst rental car I ever had.  Hard to start, uncomfortable, various things worked intermittently, and the final straw was when I pushed the Off button on the radio and the button sprung out of the dash and flew into the back seat.  smiley

Are you sure you didn't press eject?

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
12/14/23 4:03 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I drove a GTA at an autocross  once and other than the classic French body lean it went pretty well.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
12/14/23 5:53 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

So no different from most other cars made back then.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
12/14/23 6:10 p.m.

I think that way back when SRF was Sports Renault, there was a support series for Spec Encores, and maybe Spec Alliance too. I remember seeing them run at Lime Rock back in 1986 or 87.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/14/23 6:24 p.m.
brandonsmash
brandonsmash New Reader
12/14/23 7:07 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

I live in the Phoenix metro area and can confirm that we do not have the foliage seen in the photos in this thread. 

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/14/23 7:47 p.m.
CyberEric
CyberEric SuperDork
12/14/23 8:02 p.m.

My dad had an Alliance when I was young. I remember he HATED that car. Car and Driver or some mag named it car of the year, so he and his sister both bought one. They both despised them. I think it's the car that ended French cars in the US. He got t-boned by someone running a red light and he saw them coming but couldn't get out of the way due to lack of power.

And yet, I still like the looks of that one! cheeky

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
12/14/23 8:37 p.m.

My brother had a red GTA back in high school or college and did a bunch of auto-x with it. He said the car was a blast to drive so much that he has looked to buy another one to add to his "collection". I'll forward this to him.......

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/14/23 9:33 p.m.
chandler said:
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/renault-cup-racing-the-imsa-racing-series-time-forgot/

"Dealer Name"

David S. Wallens
12/14/23 9:48 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Kind of amazing that I don't even think this is a former Cup car. Someone just saw a Renault Alliance (not even a GTA) and said "Yeah, that's my race car right there." and built it from scratch.

Kinda surprised no one here on the forum has fessed up to being that person. 

offroadwine
offroadwine New Reader
12/15/23 9:54 a.m.

I had the pleasure of autocrossing on the old Green Valley track's road course in NRH TX back in '87 or so, the last time it was used before being  razed for suburbs. I was in my DSP 510 and it rained enough to leave puddles in most every apex. I drove around them and at great surprise to me got FTD. Second overall was one of these, all liveried up for SSC. The car's owner/driver tried to talk me into buying one and going racing but I declined, having had enough experience with French automotive technology as a mechanic in a "we'll work on anything"  shop in Ft Worth. I still don't regret it. We called them "Appliances " and had a higher shop rate on them.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
12/15/23 10:45 a.m.

OMG, I so badly want this!!  I'm sick and twisted, what can I say?  I need to rent a tractor trailer and make a west coast trip... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dSik8hqsrysqOiOEl67YGBtLx7JODIDhxZjyEvAHx0u4GZVpEiW7TfSSJ8Hvo5Yd