1 2
mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
1/21/12 3:34 p.m.
Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
1/21/12 3:49 p.m.

well if you ever wanted to go toe-to-toe with Factory Five...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
1/21/12 3:57 p.m.

Not A Cheetah, but ALL of them, and the rights to continue them

Gearheadotaku wrote: well if you ever wanted to go toe-to-toe with Factory Five...

depends on if the original design was as good as the Factory Five... but from an overall aggressive POV... YES

The Cheetah was one of my brothers favorite cars....

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
1/21/12 4:11 p.m.

So if we all pitch in as partial owners.....

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/21/12 4:15 p.m.

That's wicked!

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
1/21/12 4:28 p.m.

I wonder if they ever ironed out the evil handling they were noted for? Man I thought that was an exciting car when it came on the scene. It would be cool for it to be developed like FF did with the Cobra into direct competition with the Cobra replicas.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
1/21/12 4:37 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: I wonder if they ever ironed out the evil handling they were noted for? Man I thought that was an exciting car when it came on the scene. It would be cool for it to be developed like FF did with the Cobra into direct competition with the Cobra replicas.

Are they noted for scary handling? I've seen pictures of them before but never heard anything about them.

Graefin10
Graefin10 HalfDork
1/21/12 4:59 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Graefin10 wrote: I wonder if they ever ironed out the evil handling they were noted for? Man I thought that was an exciting car when it came on the scene. It would be cool for it to be developed like FF did with the Cobra into direct competition with the Cobra replicas.
Are they noted for scary handling? I've seen pictures of them before but never heard anything about them.

Yes, they had some chassis and suspension flex that created problems. They also tended to overheat and cook the drivers. However, they had many wins in their day andwere faster than a 427 Cobra at the dragstrip with a 377 Chevy. The problems were correctable with some development. I'm sure the right approach would make them wonderful cars. I can see a "high cost" looking at the proportions relative to a "locost".

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/21/12 5:06 p.m.

That's been on eBay for a while.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/12 5:10 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: So if we all pitch in as partial owners.....

Count me in

corytate
corytate HalfDork
1/21/12 5:45 p.m.

holy god!

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
1/21/12 6:02 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Count me in

I'm in. Haha

kreb
kreb SuperDork
1/21/12 6:04 p.m.

If I thought that it would actually go for $75k I'd make some calls and try to get a group together. My understanding is that they want 3x that amount though.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin New Reader
1/21/12 6:34 p.m.

There was an original Cheetah at the local historics a couple years ago. He looped it on Saturday morning and it didn't leave the paddock until he trailered it home. Maybe he crapped himself.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/21/12 6:35 p.m.

I suspect that they are torturous to drive, as you sit right over the rear axle.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/21/12 6:55 p.m.

Are they too much of a classic? Would it break it's spirit to have modern engineering practices applied to it?

Woody
Woody SuperDork
1/21/12 6:58 p.m.

I think that the cars in question are modern interpretations of the original.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
1/21/12 7:00 p.m.

Wow. That's a dream come true right there. One of my all-time favourite cars. Oooohhh golly. Let's see, if I sell the house and live in my truck....

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/21/12 7:32 p.m.

Says we'll see it at Barrett Jackson.

I stumbled upon the shop building the very first several Cheetahs. Spent some time talking to the owner, don't remember his name. This was in Dallas. I have no idea if this was Bill Thomas or a shop that was doing the fab work.

It was very cool, but I still wanted a Cobra instead. You'll laugh at this, but by comparison, at that stage and it may have been developed more later, the Cobra looked luxurious.

It was basically a motor, minimal frame and a dune buggy quality body sitting on top. You could see all the way to the ground in many places. He mentioned they were working on some loose rear end issues. As I remember it there was a 283 powered car and a 327 powered car sitting there.

As far as sitting over the rear axle, have you looked at where you sit in a Cobra?

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/21/12 8:24 p.m.

Or a Seven? That actually makes it a lot easier to drive on the edge.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/21/12 8:36 p.m.

Good heavens. That looks like my old shop, crowded and crap all over. They could have at least swept the floor.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/21/12 9:15 p.m.

Eh, I'm not really liking the fine print...you have the rights to build (67) cars, then the Thomas Family will sell you an additional (100) certificates ( of which were sold to BTM in lots of (3))

Additionally, they've been doing this project for 10 years and sold 31 cars....with roughly a third of those going to Europe.

Nah, I'll pass.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
1/21/12 9:17 p.m.

This strikes me as a unimpressive presentation of the asset. That is, if you are going to try to get the long dollar for this asset, it would seem wise to take a more professional approach to the presentation of the asset. Or, in other words, "it's going to take some money to get the money on this sale."

eaby ad said: UP FOR AUCTION IS BTM EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS AND ALL THE TOOLING TO PRODUCE THE 1963 Bill Thomas Cheetah,{{ EVERYTHING }} 1963 Bill Thomas Cheetah Famous For Installing The Chevrolet Corvette 327 Bored And Stroked To 377 Cu.In 520 HP Fuel Injection Engine In A 1520Lb Cheetah The Rest Is History.Up For Auction Is BTM Inventory,All Jigs,Tooling, Molds For Coupe And Roadster,Complete Interior Molds,{{ EVERYTHING }} To Build The Complete Cheetah Street Cars And Full Race Cars That Are Vintage Race Legal With Many US Racing Groups. This Auction Includes The Rights To Build The Remaining {{67}} Letters That Bill Thomas Signed Himself,.Thomas Family Will Make Another 100 Letters Available If Requested.All Remaining Letters Are Under The Thomas Family Control.BTM Of Arizona Will Sign Over All Rights To Produce The 63 1st Generation Bill Thomas Cheetah This Company Has Built The Finest Cheetah Continuation In The World. Feel Free To Fly Out And Visit To Inspect Everything, Or We Can Do A Video If Needed.There is 2 Complete Sets Of ORIGINAL STYLE Interior Panels, Many Chevy Engines And Parts, Many Sets Of Rear Axle Assemblies, Many Sets Of Front Suspension Spindles.Also All Corvette Misc Parts Inventory,.{{ Everything Is Here To Start Production.}} FIA In France Has Already Issued FIA # For 2 Cheetahs For Racing In Europe.The Next Step Is Getting One Of The BTM Cheetahs Tech Inspected For FIA, The Only Issue Is The Use Of Disc Brakes, I Have Many Documents To Show Disc Brakes On Cheetahs From 1964 And Newer. Photos Of Production, Drawings, Bend Book To Create Complete Original Style Chasiss, Also BTM Member Robert Auxier Will Fly Out And Go Over Everything And Review All Tooling, Molds, Jigs,Transfer Of Production Rights, Information On Purchasing Remaining Letters From The Thomas Family,Letter Were Sold To BTM In Lots Of 3,. I Will Give Reasonable Support To Work With FIA Until BTM Cheetahs Are Issued A Racing # Legal To Race In Europe.All TOOLING FOR AUCTION WAS PRODUCED OFF ORIGINAL BILL THOMAS CHEETAH,.More Information View Our Website http://www.billthomascheetah.com Also Check Out 1 Of 1 Chevrolet/Bill Thomas 1965 427 Aluminum Super Cheetah Barn Find. Yes The Entire 1963 Cheetah Project Is For Sale. It Is All Here To Start Production, BTM OF ARIZONA WILL RELEASE RIGHTS TO BUILD THE Remaining # Of BILL THOMAS CHEETAHS, BILL THOMAS FAMILY HAS AGREED TO SELL REMAINING LETTERS TO NEW COMPANY,. With The {{{ Last 9 Of 10 }}} Cheetahs Sold To Europe. That Would Be The Part Of The World To Start Major Advertising In, Germany, Denmark, Holland, France, Etc,.. BTM OF ARIZONA HAS BUILT UP TO #031 CHEETAHS, MORE THAN BILL THOMAS DID WITH SOME EARLY FUNDING FROM CHEVROLET, You Are Welcome To View Everything In Jan 2012 Barrett Jackson Auction Time, R & M Russo & Steel ,.

Really, a capital letter to start each word and long run-on sentances with large blocks of text?
This is presented with all the finesse of a guy trying to sell his prized '76 Pinto.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
1/21/12 9:32 p.m.

Well, there might be a reason they're having business trouble

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
1/21/12 10:47 p.m.

Man, I'm in. How cool is that! I mean, except for losing my shirt part. Otherwise it would be awesome!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xo9tQHcgqN9pJK1zxFi0655Mc2hehHytGFbpvFS7U4h7DiHeJ7xdthnuk7KFjm4w