1 2
sevenracer
sevenracer New Reader
11/26/10 1:21 p.m.

Is it just me or did these experience a steeper depreciation curve than their M siblings?

Wife says she wants a Z3 M coupe to replace her Miata at some point as her DD.

As I searched around to look at pricing, I noticed that the Z4 M coupes seem to be really reasonable for what you get.

It looks very do-able to buy one for 25-30k with low miles vs low 20's for a low mileage Z3 variant.

I'll probably just find the best Z3M I can in the 15-20k range, but the Z4 is tempting.

Love it or hate it styling aside, is there anything wrong with Z4M's?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/26/10 1:35 p.m.
sevenracer wrote: Love it or hate it styling aside, is there anything wrong with Z4M's?

They have much better suspension than the Z3 but they can't outrun ugly.

kreb
kreb Dork
11/26/10 1:41 p.m.

Funny, I find them one of the two or three best looking cars out there.

That said, commenting on aesthetics on the internet is even stupider than talking politics therein.

sevenracer
sevenracer New Reader
11/26/10 1:50 p.m.

I actually really like the funky exterior of the Z3 coupe. The Z4 coupe is not as good, but growing on me.

I really like the Z4 interiors over the Z3 as long as no one puts the god awful wood trim kits in there.

I definitely think the 5-8 year newer, more modern Z4 would make a better DD.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Reader
11/26/10 2:04 p.m.

the Z3/M Coupe has long been the only modern bmw that i fit in and feel comfortable driving hard stock. personally i love the things, and they can be quite fast. from the people i know who have z4 coupes they seem to like them and theyre quite fast and easier to handle than the z3 at speed.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
11/26/10 2:18 p.m.

The Z3 coupe is one of those cars you tell yourself has "character"....the Z4? Not so much. I've not driven either, but I often kick myself for not scooping up the Z3 coupe a dealer near me had for a fantastic price soon after the economy tanked in 2008.

For driving? You MIGHT just enjoy the 4 more than the 3 due to the rear suspension design.

sevenracer
sevenracer New Reader
11/26/10 3:18 p.m.

I definitely am focusing on the hipo motor in the Z4.

I doubt I could ultimately bring myself to pay the 3-5k premium that that motor commands in the Z3M since I certainly don't need the extra power, and I consider 10+ year old bmw's to be money pits, so lesser initial investment is better. But overall, I have come to the decision that a really strong top end and high revving character are key to a street car feeling special to me.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/26/10 4:43 p.m.
kreb wrote:
Funny, I find them one of the two or three best looking cars out there. That said, commenting on aesthetics on the internet is even stupider than talking politics therein.

Ugly is why they depreciate. They are not really loved. They are excellent to drive and with a little tuning to lose the terminal understeer they are wicked fast. Great car. If you like the way they look - then its double-good-bonus for you.

nderwater
nderwater HalfDork
11/26/10 11:44 p.m.

Go figure - I've always liked the coupes better than the convertible Z4's.

dj06482
dj06482 Reader
11/27/10 6:20 a.m.

I've always liked the coupes, as well. I'm interested in giving these another 5-7 years to depreciate, and then see how they're holding up at that point.

Styling-wise, I like the Z4s much better now than when they were initially released. Having the larger BMW factory wheels helps them look a bit better (IMHO).

red5_02
red5_02 New Reader
11/27/10 8:27 a.m.

The z4 m coupe is easily one of the best modern cars I've driven. The car went wherever you wanted it to go with the eagerness of a puppy.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
11/27/10 9:21 a.m.

Z4 coupes are gorgeous, IMO. Of course, this in no way invalidates other peoples' dislike of their styling. But there definitely are people who love the looks of the Z4 coupe.

David

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/27/10 3:52 p.m.

I think Z4s are pretty but at 6'2" and a long waist I just plain don't fit.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
11/27/10 8:19 p.m.

The Z3 MCoupe is not a car driven by anyone who isn't totally hard core about something in their lives, even if it isn't cars or driving. Its just that kind of car. The Z4 doesn't send the same message. I'd take either, but the Z4 is sharp. The Z3 is very cool in a brutal way, like a Warthog.

I mean this:

Not this:

30minmotor
30minmotor None
12/15/10 11:43 a.m.

In reply to pigeon: The guy that sold me my 2006 Z4 M roadster was a 30 something 6' 3" ex college basketball player. I did'nt think he was going to be able to get into it with the top up. He started the demo ride with the top up. He had about 2" of head space inside with the top up. Fit just fine.

I've lost count of how many people have told me that they liked the looks of the car, many in traffic!. The young ones use some variation of "sick". The older ones use some variation of "very nice or beutiful". Nobody has ever said they did'nt like it.

Truth is, if it has street cred, it can be as "ugly" as a Gumpert Apollo and it gets respect from those who know about performance. Sometimes I think they are the only ones who count anyway.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/15/10 12:04 p.m.

In reply to 30minmotor:

You're right - I do fit. 2 weeks ago I was at the local BMW dealer having yet more work done on my 750Li and as I was killing time I saw a 2008 Z4M sitting out front. I asked to sit in it and was favorably impressed by the head room, though the seat was a tad tight for my present 207 pounds. I declined the test drive I was offered since I already have a 944 turbo sitting in the garage and the Wife would kill me if I traded for another impractical 2 seater. The asking price was under $25k with around 40k miles IIRC.

30minmotor
30minmotor New Reader
12/15/10 12:35 p.m.

I weigh about 207 pounds. (Trying to change that.) The driver position is so adjustable that you can make it "perfect". So much so that on long trips I think the car is actualy more comfortable than my Toyota Camery which rides kinda like a limosine. Dead peddle placement is perfect.

Does your 944 have kind of a horizontal offset between the steering wheel and the peddles with the dead peddle well to the right, like most Ferarris and other Porches? That was the deal breaker for me when I test drove a 360 Modena, F430, Cayman S and 911. Other than that, all excellent cars, even though expensive to keep on the road.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
12/15/10 12:39 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Go figure - I've always liked the coupes better than the convertible Z4's.

Very hot. And I have to agree. Z4 coupe? Interesting, but still good looking. That weird hatchback thing? Horrible.

30minmotor
30minmotor New Reader
12/15/10 12:47 p.m.

In reply to mattmacklind: A10 Warthog drivers can't buy their own drinks in a bar with ground pounders around. Some of us think Wart Hogs are the most beautiful thing in the sky, even if they do sound like they have a serious need for Beno when they do their business. And man, can they ever do their business...

Hu Ah

pigeon
pigeon Dork
12/15/10 1:12 p.m.
30minmotor wrote: I weigh about 207 pounds. (Trying to change that.) The driver position is so adjustable that you can make it "perfect". So much so that on long trips I think the car is actualy more comfortable than my Toyota Camery which rides kinda like a limosine. Dead peddle placement is perfect. Does your 944 have kind of a horizontal offset between the steering wheel and the peddles with the dead peddle well to the right, like most Ferarris and other Porches? That was the deal breaker for me when I test drove a 360 Modena, F430, Cayman S and 911. Other than that, all excellent cars, even though expensive to keep on the road.

I know the driving position is pretty adjustable but the narrow, non-adjustable seat and hip bolsters were just a bit snug for me, though I may just be used to the thrones in my 750. I wish they had the air bladder adjustments that the E46M3 seats have - I had a set of those in my old 328i and they were absolutely perfect for long-distance comfort and squeezing tight for playtime.

The 944 wheel and peddles line up nicely - it's not an exotic like those other cars and there's plenty of room in the footwell for proper peddle placement. I do need to adjust the brake peddle down some to be able to heel and toe better, but that's a pretty easy adjustment to do. The driving position is quite comfy actually, but the seat needs a bit more lumbar support for me. I'll be doing some seat modification this winter once I get motivated to work on it again.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
12/15/10 1:16 p.m.

Make mine in "Urban Green" please...

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
12/15/10 1:26 p.m.
Gimp wrote: Make mine in "Urban Green" please...

with a 1 food diameter circle with a star in the center (like on some USAF planes) on each door. Sorry no pics but an aquaintance in SC has an urban green Z4 roadster with that.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
12/15/10 1:33 p.m.
30minmotor wrote: In reply to mattmacklind: A10 Warthog drivers can't buy their own drinks in a bar with ground pounders around. Some of us think Wart Hogs are the most beautiful thing in the sky, even if they do sound like they have a serious need for Beno when they do their business. And man, can they ever do their business... Hu Ah

I'd love to hear stories about that. Got any? But please start a new thread so we don't thread-jack this one.

Tac
Tac New Reader
12/15/10 6:20 p.m.

In terms of styling BMW has been going more to the side luxury, the Z is one of the few that still maintains a nice sporty appearance.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/15/10 9:20 p.m.

pigeon wrote: The asking price was under $25k with around 40k miles IIRC.
1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aOliIgVdNJQsCtUReZIOYdfYif1t7puud7xm0i04a7RDNCkqWoVEkT19B0IBUNe4