1 2
Rusnak_322
Rusnak_322 HalfDork
9/1/13 6:31 a.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: Having a ducati sound like it is falling apart at idle is character but having a harley shake at idle means it is a POS, no elitism there. Using desmo valves is bitchin even though there are valve springs which will operate at super high rpms meaning the desmo design is obsolete. I think it was mercedes who developed the desmo design back in the 50s for grand prix or something, but yeah it is still relevant. Since I'm being an shiny happy person right now, anyone tell me a reason why ducati still uses desmo valves? One good reason. The only thing I can think of is valve spring harmonics which have been solved using modern materials and maybe it is easier to spin the engine up not using super high valve spring pressure. I'm actually thinking about putting a ducati sticker on the B last just to mess with people, it would be so funny to see peoples faces.

The clutch is like that because RACE BIKE. The dry clutch doesn't contaminate the oil when it wears. It doesn't have the drag of a clutch that is spinning in oil and it is easier to change quickly. I had one on my Honda 250 GP bike. I don't think that people make fun of Harley's because they shake at idle, you just probably can't hear what they are saying over your straight pipes because you are always blipping the throttle when you are stopped..

alex
alex UberDork
9/1/13 12:48 p.m.

That's a very good price. If his story about maintenance checks out, snap that thing up. These things aren't hard to service, but they do require it at the proper intervals to stay healthy.

Aircooled Ducs are great bikes. I hope to pick one up before long.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
9/2/13 2:53 p.m.

I forgot about primary fluid contamination from a wet cluch, the primary oil comes out black on the blast after 5000miles. I guess I'm just a ducati skeptic, don't mind me.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
9/2/13 9:52 p.m.

There is minimal fluid contamination from the clutch as when submerged in fluid there is very little wear after initial processing debris are removed.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/3/13 8:19 a.m.
914Driver wrote: You didn't want a Duc before this?

I've ALWAYS wanted a Duc. My dad has had 2 of them: a 996 and a Monster 900. I don't remember any of them needing anything other than a set of front forks for the Monster...

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
9/3/13 2:53 p.m.

To add to the misery:

Seller said: its just to hot for me to ride this thing any more, selling it for $1800 cash or trade for something reliable with a cold AC. has dent in gas tank but rides fine.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/3986403488.html

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3XU7MNct7rKTs1PsK6s2nVbWcHZkJwtbcvDrt72JzqCYZKuSjPsENpIWHMuXhDbR