1 2
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/21/24 4:39 p.m.

GWM Souo S2000.

GWM Souo Flat-eight Tourer Revealed | Cycle World

This thing DRIPS style to me.  Pricing will keep me out of the loop for a while, but jeezis I like this more than I should.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/21/24 5:03 p.m.

Looks like they put too much air in it.

They don't say what it weighs but I bet it's a lot. Yamaha's last Royal Star came in over 780lbs.

Flat eight should be impressive. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
5/21/24 5:53 p.m.

Dear god they actually are trying to take on Harley and Honda. I wish them luck but the Goldwing and the Ultra's are just about perfect after decades of refinements. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/21/24 6:05 p.m.

Is there any indication they intend to export this or will it be solely for the home market?  

nocones
nocones PowerDork
5/21/24 6:18 p.m.

I already want to put that engine in places it does not belong...

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
5/21/24 6:24 p.m.

At a glance, it looks like it says "Squid" on the fairing.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/21/24 7:34 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Is there any indication they intend to export this or will it be solely for the home market?  

There will probably be people in China who buy one, but I can't imagine trying to ride that behemoth in a country full of scooters.  (I once spent most of a year riding a Vespa around in Taiwan so I have some relevant experience.)

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/21/24 8:01 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

I watched a small Asian man try to back a Honda Rune into a parking space at bike night.

I'm sure that barge is made for export.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/22/24 7:02 a.m.

While I may be stuck buying Chinese made things like Harbor Freight items, when it comes to big ticket purchases like cars and bikes I just won't give them my money. I know they are capable of making decent products these days, but...just can't. 

I'm also seeing the prices of a lot of these things not offering the substantial savings over similar bikes they have blatantly copied. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/22/24 8:45 a.m.
nocones said:

This is one of my favorite reactions on the forum when talking about a new vehicle.

"Forget the rest of the thing, when can I get my hands on the engine?"

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/22/24 8:48 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

True... the idea of a 2 liter, H8 backed by a DCT (that I'm sure has a reverse gear) with shaft drive to the rear wheel can generate a ton of day-dreaming possibilities... 

5/22/24 11:33 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

There will probably be people in China who buy one, but I can't imagine trying to ride that behemoth in a country full of scooters.  (I once spent most of a year riding a Vespa around in Taiwan so I have some relevant experience.)

Details right now are very limited.  I probably read 6 or 7 articles on it hoping for that info, but they haven't released it yet.

I do find it strange that they would design and engineer something so ridiculously North-American looking and not ship it over here.  I can't imagine it has much of a market in Asia.  The West has that craving for bloated, overpowered, flashy, bacon-wrapped chunks of vehicle that doesn't seem to be shared anywhere else.

5/22/24 11:35 a.m.
ddavidv said:

While I may be stuck buying Chinese made things like Harbor Freight items, when it comes to big ticket purchases like cars and bikes I just won't give them my money. I know they are capable of making decent products these days, but...just can't. 

I'm also seeing the prices of a lot of these things not offering the substantial savings over similar bikes they have blatantly copied. 

I don't disagree.  Part of me is happy that China is slowly moving in a more democratic direction, but they're still pretty low on the humanitarian scale.

My big hangup would be parts availability.  Unless GWM starts a massive endeavor of dealers and parts distribution in the states, I'm not buying a bike out of a crate if I can't get an oil filter or a spark plug.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
5/22/24 1:39 p.m.
nocones said:

Truth. I've drooled over the Honda flat 6 for a while but a flat 8. 

Homer Simpson Drooling GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/22/24 2:35 p.m.

Make sure you have friends riding with you, one mere human ain't lifting that up!

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/22/24 2:51 p.m.

I don't get the appeal of big cruisers, but that's ok. To each their own. I'd love to put a motor like that in a small car -  makes me think of the Alfa-Romeo 2.6 V8, one of the greatest sounding cars ever. But I fear that this motor is so detuned and civilized that it's personality wouldn't match a little Fiat/Locost/whatever.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
5/22/24 9:52 p.m.

To my eye, it is indistinguishable from a 1-2 generation old Goldwing, minus the LED headlight redesign and blacked out trim/engine:

5/22/24 11:40 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I likely won't own one as a daily, but I just love the styling, and I love the excess.  I'm in the market for a ST or AT bike, and this just happened to make me drool.

It's kind of like seeing a Ferarri.  I admire it, but I don't want to own one

Ok, I kinda want to own one of these bikes, though.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/22/24 11:49 p.m.
ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/23/24 3:58 p.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I likely won't own one as a daily, but I just love the styling, and I love the excess. 

Your bike was already built, and it's 'Murican.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/23/24 4:08 p.m.
Kreb (Forum Supporter) said:

But I fear that this motor is so detuned and civilized that it's personality wouldn't match a little Fiat/Locost/whatever.

Nothing a set of cams and a little compression can't fix :) Although it's always going to be longer than a V8 and considerably wider, which might make the Locost packaging a challenge.

A flat 8 is not a common engine format (is it flat or a boxer?). But one place it was used was the Porsche 906 in 2l form, just like this one. Hmmm, who do we know who's building a Porsche 906?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/porsche-906/268990/page1/

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
5/23/24 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

But I'm assuming the 906 engine was air-cooled? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/23/24 4:37 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Details.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
5/23/24 6:21 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Those Visions are hideous. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UberDork
5/23/24 6:57 p.m.
Keith Tanner said

.....A flat 8 is not a common engine format (is it flat or a boxer?). But one place it was used was the Porsche 906 in 2l form, just like this one. Hmmm, who do we know who's building a Porsche 906?

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/porsche-906/268990/page1/

I think the Porsche factory also built a 914-8 for one of the Porsche family that was road legal ,  Aircooled of course :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kbf3DpCACpwDcGrxmqFKDkncAlM5zGQAN5yFUyH3Yub3zyhiLOLCjCNXK7JwYjkW