1 2 3 4
bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/2/14 5:16 p.m.

I see this as the first real attempt to make something that can go off road that still gets decent gas mileage. The problem with most crossovers and cute utes is that they simply don't have the clearance required to get through two-tracks, fire roads, and the like. True 4wd, locking differentials, and huge tires aren't necessary in light off-roading, but ground clearance is a must. The subaru cross trek is the only other thing I can think of, currently.

This looks like it could work well around town, returning decent mileage, and still be able to get to some of the more remote campsites.

I'm sure it would get less hate if it were badged Fiat, but it will sell better as a Jeep.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/2/14 5:17 p.m.

looks trail rated lol

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/2/14 5:24 p.m.

It's a Fiat Panda with a 7-Bar Grille.

Honestly, Fiat would have never sold the Panda very well here. This is how they are going to do it. This is the "Jeep" the guy with the lifted Rubicon is going to buy his wife to tote the kids with. This is supposed to be replacing both the Patriot and Compass.

I don't see much wrong with it. Somebody said it already, but this is what Jeep is going to need to sell to make stuff like the Wrangler.

A little awkward looking? Yeah well so is the new Cherokee and I'm starting to see those everywhere, so obviously they are selling.

I too miss the days of 4.0L powered, solid axle Jeeps, but let's face it, those days are gone. With fuel regs getting more strict, this is going to to have to be it.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
3/2/14 5:37 p.m.

My god, the new Cherokee is UGLY! I'd rather buy this Panda thing.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/2/14 6:16 p.m.

Here's another pic with what they think is a removable roof.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
3/2/14 6:26 p.m.

According to some posters on J-nik, it is based off of the 500L and not the Panda. I was kinda hoping it was based off of the Panda since it has locking differentials. It is a shame that we don't get it here in the states. I'm afraid that no manufacturer is immune from the upcoming CAFE regulations

I was secretly hoping Jeep would be able to redeem itself after unleashing the CompASS on the unsuspecting public but I guess fuel economy is the most pressing issue.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
3/2/14 6:38 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Jalopnik apparently got a leaked picture.

Is that a Trail Rated badge on the base of the A-pillar? I guess we will have to wait about a day until Jeep officially unveils it. Here's hoping for some real 4wd credentials

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/2/14 6:43 p.m.

Here's the deal, Jeep lovers:

There's this thing called CAFE, and what it basically means is that if you want Jeep to continue selling the 18MPG Wrangler, they have GOT to sell something to balance out that dismal fuel economy.

That's how things work nowadays. I'm all right with you hating the fact that they may call it "Renegade". But if you want to continue buying Wranglers, you're just going to have to cope with it being called "Jeep".

All that having been said. I like it. If they can figure out a way to give it a 1000lb tow rating (the FIAT 500L has no tow rating) I will buy one to replace my 1st-gen Scion xB.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/2/14 6:46 p.m.

Holy cow, the Compass was UGLY and it had no real market niche. At least the Patriot is (was?) reasonably sized and it's actually priced better. The Compass is now styled more like the Grand Cherokee (which is a good thing) but it still can't escape its Caliber roots.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
3/2/14 6:51 p.m.

I see decent approach and departure angles, probably 8" of clearance, so if the 4wd system has a decent electronic nanny/locking differentials it could be good for camping, dirt and light mud roads, plus snow. Good for most but technical trails. It is as ugly as a Nissan Cube as stated but it could have a decent market thourgh the world.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
3/2/14 6:53 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Agreed, the Compass was ugly. The Patriot is pretty decent style wise, hell I think that's what the Cherokee should look like with 4 cylinder and RWD. But they can't do it, thanks CAFE.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/2/14 7:00 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Here's the deal, Jeep lovers: There's this thing called CAFE, and what it basically means is that if you want Jeep to continue selling the 18MPG Wrangler, they have GOT to sell something to balance out that dismal fuel economy. That's how things work nowadays. I'm all right with you hating the fact that they *may* call it "Renegade". But if you want to continue buying Wranglers, you're just going to have to cope with it being called "Jeep". All that having been said. I like it. If they can figure out a way to give it a 1000lb tow rating (the FIAT 500L has no tow rating) I will buy one to replace my 1st-gen Scion xB.

I'm a Jeep lover, and I'm the one who bemoaned the use of Renegade. I also said I'm fine with it since it's what needs to be sold (in large numbers) to facilitate my love of solid axles and torquey motors.
I don't like the looks, but I don't dislike them either. That's an improvement over the Compass that looked soo terrible. They gave the Cherokee some serious off-road cred, I hope they do the same here.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/2/14 7:01 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: In reply to Curmudgeon: Agreed, the Compass was ugly. The Patriot is pretty decent style wise, hell I think that's what the Cherokee should look like with 4 cylinder and RWD. But they can't do it, thanks CAFE.

You might notice the Patriot is the only one of the SUV's that didn't get a facelift for 2014. That means it's a goner, just like the Avenger.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
3/2/14 7:23 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

Both the Compass and Patriot are goners. When it comes time to look at a new vehicle for the wife, we're going to look at the newer Patriots. I've talked to several people who own them and they have been quite pleased with them.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
3/2/14 7:51 p.m.
Motor Authority said: Those underpinnings are a shortened version of the front-wheel-drive platform found in the 500L (a different design to that in the smaller Fiat 500), which has been modified to feature an all-wheel-drive setup. The Jeepster will be an on-road vehicle primarily, though. Front-wheel drive will be standard but an all-wheel-drive trail-rated option should be available for those needing some off-road capability. Power will come from four-cylinder engines, most likely those fitted to the existing 500 and 500L models from Fiat.
TTAC said: Our sources tell us that North America will get a 1.4T powered version with a 6-speed manual as the sole transmission option. The other engine will be the familiar 2.4L 4-cylinder with a 9-speed automatic. Reports claim that some kind of removable roof will be an option as well.

Somewhere I read that the 6 speed manual will only be available with FWD. It looks like this will be a soft-roader with AWD as an option.

I have no issues with Jeep raising their CAFE since, like was mentioned earlier, it allows them to sell more 18MPG Wranglers. I just hope they don't market this like a Samurai for Millennials. I really hope they sell millions of them to fund development of an EcoDiesel, 8 speed Wrangler

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
3/2/14 7:56 p.m.
stanger_missle wrote:
Motor Authority said: Those underpinnings are a shortened version of the front-wheel-drive platform found in the 500L (a different design to that in the smaller Fiat 500), which has been modified to feature an all-wheel-drive setup. The Jeepster will be an on-road vehicle primarily, though. Front-wheel drive will be standard but an all-wheel-drive trail-rated option should be available for those needing some off-road capability. Power will come from four-cylinder engines, most likely those fitted to the existing 500 and 500L models from Fiat.

So basically it will be more capable than what 90% of Wranglers end up being used for.

Got it, thanks.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/2/14 8:22 p.m.

Close up of the actual badge being used:

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/2/14 8:27 p.m.

I'm waiting for the first private EcoDiesel/Wrangler swap. Somebody out there is already planning it... but preliminary info says Jeep will build it as a 2016 model. http://blog.extremeterrain.com/next-generation-jeep-wrangler-gets-diesel-motor-for-2016/

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/2/14 9:07 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I'm a Jeep lover, and I'm the one who bemoaned the use of Renegade.

Pontiac lovers didn't like the Daewoo-based LeMans. Chevy lovers didn't like the Corolla-based Nova. Et Cetera.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/2/14 9:09 p.m.

Didn't implies past tense. We still don't like those things.

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
3/2/14 9:24 p.m.

Please Jeep... No! Stop this now.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
3/3/14 6:35 a.m.
EvanR wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I'm a Jeep lover, and I'm the one who bemoaned the use of Renegade.
Pontiac lovers didn't like the Daewoo-based LeMans. Chevy lovers didn't like the Corolla-based Nova. Et Cetera.

Renegade was a trim level basically. It was a Jeep that had a hairy set of balls. This doesn't. But don't get me wrong. I understand why they built it and hope they sell millions of them. And knowing Jeep, they'll give it some actual capability on the trail. I think the Compass learned 'em.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
3/3/14 8:19 a.m.

You know what guys? I don't hate it at all... in fact, I kinda like it! It's a small AWD thing that should be affordable, get decent gas mileage, and work well as a daily driver, and I think it looks pretty cool. Jeep has been building "soft roaders" for years now, so it's not like this is a new thing.

Like others have said, it they are going to maintain a fleet average for the current CAFE rules, then there are going to be vehicles like this one. You know that I'm a Jeep (and AMC) fan, I've been helping to bring the XJ-R to the Challenge year after year and I've grown up around all sorts of Jeep vehicles, and I love them. But when was the last time a 4.0L was installed in the factory between the fenders of a Jeep? 10 years ago? The car industry has moved on, and Jeep with it. If you want a hardcore 4x4 Jeep, there's always the Wrangler. With the addition of the Pentastar engine to that lineup, it seems that they are better than ever.

I wonder what the price point is for these, because I might look into one as the replacement for SWMBO's car. We were looking for an efficient AWD thing that gets decent mileage and is not a Subaru, and she likes Jeeps too.

logdog
logdog Dork
3/3/14 9:03 a.m.
DrBoost wrote:
EvanR wrote:
Renegade was a trim level basically. It was a Jeep that had a hairy set of balls. This doesn't. But don't get me wrong. I understand why they built it and hope they sell millions of them. And knowing Jeep, they'll give it some actual capability on the trail. I think the Compass learned 'em.

The name has such pedigree.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
3/3/14 9:45 a.m.

Seems to have reasonable ground clearance at least:

I can't get too worked up about it. Looks like it's at least an improvement over the Compass.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mWIqMpjcfLXWxw3QVvpj3n8GzhwVtOL3lj0CKmAojjOOn12fhgscB5RCrps98QhM