2 3 4 5 6
Anti-stance
Anti-stance UberDork
3/4/14 7:27 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Because of the badge on the front and it's not a Wrangler... waaaaaaaah!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/4/14 7:49 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Close up of the actual badge being used:

Same badge should be on 90% of the lifted/modded Wranglers out there, truth be told.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/4/14 8:27 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Flight Service wrote: From Geneva via Car and Driver "The Renegade will be available with 16 powertrain combinations in markets around the world, but U.S. buyers will have just two options. The base engine is the 1.4-liter turbo four from the Fiat 500 Abarth, here producing 160 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque and paired exclusively with a six-speed manual. The step-up powertrain is a 2.4-liter Tigershark four-cylinder that makes 184 horses and 177 lb-ft, and which backs up exclusively to Chrysler’s nine-speed automatic. Both powertrains can be had in front- or four-wheel-drive form. Jeep claims a class-leading coefficient of drag, and says that its B-segment crossover will deliver 30-plus mpg on the EPA highway cycle. That would put the Renegade right on par with the mileage delivered by the Soul and Juke."
Whoa whoa whoa, hold up. I can buy it with a six speed manual and the turbo from the Abarth AND awd? How the hell can you guys hate on that?

Because it's a Jeep, because the National Enquirer of Automotive Journalism snooped the pic, it's different, it's a cute-ute, it's too mainstream, it's not masculine enough, it's not a Miata.

Are you new here? We don't need a reason to hate, just do.

For the record 2 Jeeps in my history and none of them have tried to kill me or family like 1 of 2 Toyotas have. Happy? I hated on Toyota there.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/5/14 2:20 a.m.

According to the folks at Allpar, the 1.4T/six-speed will not have a tow rating in the US.

There goes that plan :(

stanger_missle
stanger_missle HalfDork
3/5/14 3:21 a.m.

It appears there are some caveats (isn't there always).

First, only the Trailhawk will have low range.

The Trailhawk will only be available with the 9 speed auto and 2.4L

The 4wd system is FWD based using an axle disconnect system.

The Trailhawk will be the only model that is "Trail Rated" but I'm sure since it is the range-topping model, will be loaded to the gills with tech and luxury features that will push the price waaay up.

But, you can get the 6 speed with the 1.4T and 4wd. The Lattitude model looks like the sweet spot. The Renegade is said to be very close in size to the XJ. The max tow rating is 3500lbs which, I think, is the 2.4l 2wd auto model.

Still, I'm glad that it's small, 4wd and available with a manual. I really hope they sell millions of them.

captdownshift
captdownshift Reader
3/5/14 6:45 a.m.

other items of note that could make this thing a sales winner honda is killing the element and toyota has killed the FJ cruiser. Those buyers will be looking for replacements. The square shape and large hatch opening should allow for loading and hauling of fairly large objects as well.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/5/14 8:41 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: other items of note that could make this thing a sales winner honda has killed the element and toyota is killing the FJ cruiser. Those buyers will be looking for replacements. The square shape and large hatch opening should allow for loading and hauling of fairly large objects as well.

FTFY

I don't care if the system is front or RWD based, I think Jeep has an opportunity for a serious little trail rig here. If they do it right it could be awesome.

Now imagine that thing with an E-Locker in the rear and a Torsen in the front.

EvanR wrote: According to the folks at Allpar, the 1.4T/six-speed will not have a tow rating in the US. There goes that plan :(

Well, as much of a tow rating as an Abarth... Do the European thing again, look at their ratings and go from there.

I asked a buddy of mine from Poland why they towing with everything over there and his response was less than shocking.

"We have trailer brakes on almost everything and they aren't allowed to exceed 50 mph. In America you guys expect to be able to tow doing 80. That is stupid."

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/5/14 8:58 a.m.

I figured out the Cherokee! The design guys got a meme confused with a styling revision

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/5/14 9:11 a.m.

Jeep Renegade website.

Do we know if the Renegade will be replacing the Patriot?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
3/5/14 9:47 a.m.

Humm, comparing this to the Honda Element, hadn't thought of that.

I miss the early version of the Element with the textured rubber and plastic interior & black plastic fenders, best kid and dog hauler in recent years. Honda ruined it when they took it upscale.

I would love a Jeep version of that.

Edit: Love it enough to actually buy one in a couple years.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/5/14 12:34 p.m.

I just looked up the interior shots. They're going to sell a billion of these.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/5/14 2:45 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Jeep Renegade website. Do we know if the Renegade will be replacing the Patriot?

Yes the Patriot and Compass

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
3/5/14 2:55 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I just looked up the interior shots. They're going to sell a billion of these.

Honestly, I think Jeep hit this one out of the park. They will sell a lot of these.

I don't care what anyone says it looks good inside and out. MOPAR is making a lot aftermarket parts for these, so I can see a lot of "Outdoorsy" people will be getting into these.

If they cost reasonable, I would definitely look at one of these for the wife when the time comes.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/5/14 3:06 p.m.

I only hope they give us a carpet delete option for a rubberized floor mat.

Trailhawk no carpet for me please!

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
3/5/14 5:51 p.m.

Jeep needed something smaller like the CJ.

Maybe this it.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/6/14 2:01 p.m.

How soon till ones lifted and slathered in BRO stickers?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/6/14 4:56 p.m.

So which would you choose? +1 please

Jeep Renegade?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/6/14 4:58 p.m.

Kia Soul?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/6/14 4:59 p.m.